Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold fresh water in the morning.

Red face Cold fresh water in the morning.

About a year ago I started craving cold water with breakfast. Coffee or orange juice are definitely sidelined. When younger, I drank diet soda first thing (ugh - I know ).

It's nearly 11:00 a.m. local time and I'm enjoying a second tall glass of cold water. It just tastes SO good.

Anyone else?
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Yea Ive been drinking water out of a coke bottle today....I should cut down on the coke.
    Formerly Frog march..............

Our well water is ICE COLD, esp in the winter. I'll drink coffee in the morning, homemade lemonade at lunch, and tea (from steeped bags) at dinner. When eating out we'll just get water. I'll drink just plain water when working outside. Haven't drank soft drinks since the 80's.

Occasionally I put a splash of water in a single malt. Breakfast is too early for that.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Occasionally I put a splash of water in a single malt. Breakfast is too early for that.

Grant Hutchison
    So it has to be neat whiskey at breakfast. At what time is it acceptable to start adding water?

A few drops of water added to scotch is the proper way to drink it. It enhances the flavor.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Our well water is ICE COLD, esp in the winter.
    Ours, too. Straight out of the ground it's also rich in iron and manganese but a lot of that is caught be the house pre-filter. It can also have a bit of a sulfur odor to it but a trip through the refrigerator's filtered water dispenser takes care of that...as does allowing an open pitcher to outgas. After that it tastes quite good.

Occasionally I put a splash of water in a single malt.
    Yes, please.

I too have been cutting back on sodas and lately have been enjoying some of the flavored seltzer waters. Zero calories and no sweetening of any kind since I don't tolerate Aspartame well and I don't enjoy the flavor of other artificials.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Coffee in the morning for me. But I drink a lot of water from the Brita pitcher in the fridge the rest of the day.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I keep a large insulated SS tumbler bedside w/cool water, and definitely some cold water at breakfast. It's good for my hair
    Seriously, water is your friend. Soda is not. Once in a while, I enjoy some ginger ale , or a ginger beer. When it's really hot, I just might have a root beer/ coffee ice cream float , but that's a rare day and maybe twice a summer. Water , good clean, cold water is my
    " Drink of Choice ", always . If I have a glass of wine, I want some cold water as well. It's just better .

Grant Hutchison
    My rule of thumb; Decent scotch is old enough to drive. Good scotch is old enough to vote.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

I will be the one and probably the only one here to say scotch and other forms of whiskey taste terrible to me. Rum(buttered rum yuck) and sweet alcoholic drinks too. That smell is one reason I dislike bars. Dark beer is fine but not any that looks like human recycled liquid. In the morning it's coffee, orange juice, or cran-rasberry but cold water in a pinch. Cognac and champagne are the only grape juice I like.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Admitting my own small contribution, the discussion of adult beverages has become too much of a sidetrack. Back to water, please.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by DukePaul View Post
    I will be the one and probably the only one here to say scotch and other forms of whiskey taste terrible to me. Rum(buttered rum yuck) and sweet alcoholic drinks too. That smell is one reason I dislike bars. Dark beer is fine but not any that looks like human recycled liquid. In the morning it's coffee, orange juice, or cran-rasberry but cold water in a pinch. Cognac and champagne are the only grape juice I like.
    Not the only one. Just give me a dry red wine.

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    I keep a large insulated SS tumbler bedside w/cool water, and definitely some cold water at breakfast. It's good for my hair
    Seriously, water is your friend. Soda is not. Once in a while, I enjoy some ginger ale , or a ginger beer. When it's really hot, I just might have a root beer/ coffee ice cream float , but that's a rare day and maybe twice a summer. Water , good clean, cold water is my
    " Drink of Choice ", always . If I have a glass of wine, I want some cold water as well. It's just better .
    It just occurred to me (duh) that I apparently developed this fondness for cold water "first thing" due to now having to drink a cup of coffee in the morning to get all synapses firing. Must have water with. But I'm still drinking water after that 1 (only) cup of joe is finished.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I do not understand the way water has to be cold, ice cold that is. I do not like the vagus nerve effect. Room temperature water is fine, warmer than that seems weird until you reach hot. Water in restaurants in USA always seem to have more ice than water and I do not know why that started. Maybe to disguise the taste? Too much ice cold water can be dangerous for your heart, one Roman general died of drinking from the cold river he was crossing. Maybe there are more recent stats?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I do not understand the way water has to be cold, ice cold that is.
    I'm kind of with you on that. I'll have water chilled or at room temperature depending my preference at the moment but I don't like a lot of ice in it. The temperature from the fridge water dispenser is fine...not so cold as to cause a throat spasm unless I go nuts and slam it back. I do keep the cans of flavored water chilled but rarely pour them over ice.

I think a lot people like water/beverages really cold because it makes the mouthfeel seem crisper and/or more refreshing. I think that's true for me where sparkling waters are concerned. Or they may just enjoy the sensation of coldness on their palate, as I sometimes do...in moderation...very moderate moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I do not understand the way water has to be cold, ice cold that is. I do not like the vagus nerve effect. Room temperature water is fine, warmer than that seems weird until you reach hot. Water in restaurants in USA always seem to have more ice than water and I do not know why that started. Maybe to disguise the taste? Too much ice cold water can be dangerous for your heart, one Roman general died of drinking from the cold river he was crossing. Maybe there are more recent stats?
    It's one of those memes, like "six glasses of water a day" that enjoys popular currency on the basis of zero evidence. No evidence it does any harm, apart from the occasional person who faints on drinking cold water - but that seems to be rarer than people who faint on passing urine, so I wouldn't get too excited about it.

Grant Hutchison

Splosh!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Coffee in the morning for me. But I drink a lot of water from the Brita pitcher in the fridge the rest of the day.
    Treb, I can't get this image of catapulting water balloons (large wats balloons) out of my head . . .
    Last edited by John Mendenhall; 2017-Mar-15 at 11:51 PM. Reason: clarity (clear and cold).

Speaking about memes with water, there's this thing in Japan (I wonder if it exists elsewhere) that you shouldn't drink water in the summer without salt (and other electrolytes), because otherwise you might die from water poisoning. I realize that it's theoretically possible to kill yourself by drinking plain water, but in a country where the average daily salt intake is estimated to be more than 10 grams, and where strokes are common, it just seems weird to be encouraging people to take more salt.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Speaking about memes with water, there's this thing in Japan (I wonder if it exists elsewhere) that you shouldn't drink water in the summer without salt (and other electrolytes), because otherwise you might die from water poisoning.
    It was a common thing during World War II for British and American troops in hot climates to be issued with salt tablets - one tablet per canteen of water.
    It requires a certain excessive dedication to kill yourself with water intoxication - you have to drink while not thirsty, and it's usually the preserve of people with psychological problems.
    More commonly, replacing salt+water with water just makes you feel faint and headachey as the water fails to stay in your circulation. Sports drinks seem to be the way to address that in the UK, rather than salt tablets. But the "sportification" of outdoor activities means that people are nowadays endlessly drinking and snacking when exercising outdoors, no matter what the weather, as if they were participating in some sort of athletic competition rather than just having a pleasant day out.

Grant Hutchison

As a carpenter, we had water on the job. It is a wisdom that serves us well. Without it, you can "hit the wall" , getting de-hydrated.
    And in a dangerous job, you really don't even want that. I believe in it when I am driving as well.

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    As a carpenter, we had water on the job. ...
    Some years back at a chemical plant where I was working, we had a construction contractor whose crew showed up every morning with a water jug full of ice. They'd fill the jug with water when they got on site and have it available during the day. Cold water ... good idea.

One morning, an operator noticed that the crew was filling the jug from a tap on the supply water line for the cooling tower. They'd been doing that for over a week. He stopped them and showed them the potable water tap.
    Last edited by Jim; 2017-Mar-16 at 03:14 PM. Reason: "supply" not "return"
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

A programmer friend of mine told me that he used to keep his water bottle on the top shelf of his desk, right in front of his system's CPU. He liked the way the system's green power-on LED made the bottle show a soft green glow throughout.

Then, once he looked at the bottle under normal light, and found that the water really was green. Algae.

Caffeine causes an expulsive peristaltic wave through the colon. I must have 2 weak coffees one after the other, one fresh, the other instant, first thing in the morning to 'surf' that bowel wave and have a motion. A drop of pharmaceutical caffeine in water has the same effect.
    Last edited by wd40; 2017-Mar-16 at 01:38 PM.

One thing I have noticed (especially when working in hot climates) is the variation in how much water people drink. In the last office I worked in, about half the staff had a bottle or glass of water on their desk, which they would refill several times a day. They would always take it with them if they had to go to a meeting (however short it was going to be).

Others (including me) would just have the occasional cup of tea or coffee to keep hydrated. And, of course, others would be somewhere in between.

When I was working in the tropics, I thought I should keep a bottle of water on my desk, in case I needed a drink. I ended up throwing it away when it went green!

Coffee for me in the morning.

Two cups first, THEN water.

Speaking of which, pardon me while I go downstairs for cup number 2. (It's a quarter to eight local time.)

I love my Keurig BTW.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    A programmer friend of mine told me that he used to keep his water bottle on the top shelf of his desk, right in front of his system's CPU. He liked the way the system's green power-on LED made the bottle show a soft green glow throughout.

Then, once he looked at the bottle under normal light, and found that the water really was green. Algae.
    One day at work, I couldn't find my water mug. It was one the company had passed out to encourage participation in the company charity campaign. I got another and moved on. A couple of months later I found the original on a windowsill in a rarely visited part of the office. I knew it was mine, because I'd written my initials on the bottom. It was still half full of water. And, um, other stuff. There was a whole new ecosystem in there. I took it home and ran it through the dishwasher, then threw it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Eeek!

{peers into my water glass...still clear}

Hey, algae are good for you!
    Plankton! It's what the big whales eat.

Sure, that's what they said about Soylent Green.