Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are the seeds coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by msollot View Post
    Was swallowing the animals what killed her?
    The horse was the last straw.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_...wallowed_a_Fly
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

As some other famous horse once noted: a corpse is a corpse ... of course.

I think the error was in mistaking the horse for a carnivore.
    It wouldn't eat the cow.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    It wouldn't eat the cow.
    That's what they want you to think.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

.."Don't kid yourself Jimmy, if a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you, and everyone you cared about!"

-- Troy McClure
    (You may remember him from ... well ... ah, never mind!)

Don't you love thread drift? This one has gone from seeds in shoes, to mice, to cats, to an old favorite children's song!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

When a mommy plant and daddu plant really love on another they will decide to make baby plants.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

OK, story time. Mouse in house. Or rather, mice.

I have no cats. The neighbours do, so outdoors is mouseproof. Indoors however, I have a dog. No cats. The dog has many virtues, most of which I have yet to discover. Catching mice however, is not one of them. So I bought an armada of mouse traps, and set them up after I discovered mouse droppings in the garage (where said dog sleeps). After setting up the traps, I caught 4 mice in 5 days. Nice. A month or so later, I saw signs of a fifth mouse. Droppings, dog food bags with chew traces, but the real smoking gun was seeing a mouse. So I again set up the 4 traps. Only this time, the mouse didn't let itself be twodimensionalized. Not with bread, not with cheese. On every sighting, the thing became fatter and fatter but very much alive. So I just left it alone, 4 traps on sharp but with now old dry bread/cheese. I'd given up for about a month, but last week I was in my bed -sharing a wall with the garage- saying to myself "can't that fat mouse just walk its fat backside accidentally into one of the traps..." No 5 seconds later I heard a "CLACK drop drop drop". The next morning, Jerry was confirmed to be JeRIP. Insert The Mentalist theme.

However, the has-been mouse turned out to be skinny and small. So either fatty is still rolling around somewhere, or seeing a living mouse in a flash does indeed increase its size by a factor two.

I here they like peanut butter better than cheese, but if you insists on cheese maybe provide some wine and he might get drunk.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Some mice are pretty good at eating the bait off traps without triggering them. They seem to instinctively avoid treading on the trap while feeding. Such mice can be trapped with four traps arranged in a cross pattern, the baited ends next to each other. After feeding from one, they seem to just walk across to the next bait, which sets off a fire-storm of trap-triggering.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    The dog has many virtues, most of which I have yet to discover. Catching mice however, is not one of them.
    When I was in high school, I came home one day to find a big vase turned upside down in the middle of the living room. Apparently, when my younger sister got home, she found a mouse (a very tiny, young one). She tried to get our cats we had at the time interested, but neither was.

So she got our Irish Setter, who's solution was to bark at it. That wasn't effective.

She turned the vase over on it, and the ultimate solution was to wait till big brother came home. I got to grab it and toss it into the backyard.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Well, the mice we have overhere have already leveled-up to possess the ability of Sprint. If the vase can cover the entire house you'll catch them, otherwise they'll be long gone before you can shout "Ming dynasty".

Some mice are pretty good at eating the bait off traps without triggering them. They seem to instinctively avoid treading on the trap while feeding. Such mice can be trapped with four traps arranged in a cross pattern, the baited ends next to each other. After feeding from one, they seem to just walk across to the next bait, which sets off a fire-storm of trap-triggering.

Grant Hutchison
    yeah, I've had that type of Houdini mice in the past. The 5 I caught this year never got the bait without the trap triggering though, so that wasn't the problem now.

One of the user reviews of the electric rat trap that I mention earlier complained that the trap didn't reset itself. This guy said that he'd had a new rat drag out the corpse of a previously-electrocuted one, then go in to eat the bait, as the current was now disabled. If indeed this was true, it would seem to indicate that the device was effective, so long as you didn't get greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    One of the user reviews of the electric rat trap that I mention earlier complained that the trap didn't reset itself. This guy said that he'd had a new rat drag out the corpse of a previously-electrocuted one, then go in to eat the bait, as the current was now disabled. If indeed this was true, it would seem to indicate that the device was effective, so long as you didn't get greedy.
    "Hey Bob, Bob, bad spot for a nap Bob, I'm trying to get something to eat. Well fine, if you're not going to move, I'm dragging you out of there".

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    You sure this isn't an XKCD panel??
    Or, SMBC
    http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=1488
    http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=4006

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    There's also the mechanical rat trap, which is exactly the same thing as the mechanical mouse trap but twice its size. I'm afraid that if a mouse were to trigger one of these, you'd find mouse shrapnel for years to come.

PETA*: I'm not too fond of having to kill animals, but once in my family's house mice have to be eliminated for a number of obvious reasons and the instant death + no dog-dangerous poison makes the mechanical trap the best choice. I know there are catch-alive traps, but they fail on numerous levels. The most spectacular one being the scenario of the dog sharing the room with a mouse in such a trap.

*PETA is like ETA but to make a post animal-friendly.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2017-Mar-27 at 09:13 PM.

Oh, if I could get the rats safely out of the garage alive, I'd do it. Then again, the neighbors might not appreciate my chasing the creatures into their yards, so I guess I'd have to provide them bus fare to some happy farm out in the country.

When I was in college, a great many years ago, ok, 50 years ago, I lived in a then-modern high-rise dormitory. (OK, 11 floors. Tallest building in Montana at the time, IIRC.) It had mice. The design was a steel skeleton with concrete floors. Between the rooms was a cinder-block wall, but it went up only high enough to be above the suspended ceiling panels, not to the next floor. And between pairs of rooms was a vertical wiring and heating channel going all the way up. The hot water heat came out through an opening into the room. The mice had free access to the entirety of the building.

Management's first response to reports of a mouse problem was to put a notice on the bulletin boards to the effect that this was a modern building and no mice could possibly be in it. Next morning, each of those notices had one or more dead mice thumb-tacked to it by their tails. The next response was to blame the residents for possessing food. This did not go over well.

The most popular means of catching mice, as I recall, was to put several inches of water in the bottom of a wastebasket, arrange a ramp of textbooks to the rim, and suspend a bit of food over the middle on a string. Mouse seeks food, falls in, drowns.

Update: I spotted Fatty last night. I saw him rollin', I hatin'. I caught two mice last night. One was skinny, one could have been Fatty but I doubt it. So the hunt is still on. That's already 7 mice this winter, the past three years I had zero!

I had a misadventure with a rat after seeing it go into a hole where the wall meets the concrete slab on my front porch. I put a trap right against the hole and figured that it was a can't miss. I was chagrined to see the rat come out and go right over the baited trigger without tripping it. I responded by blocking access to the hole with a cinder block to keep the rat out while I mixed some mortar to plug the hole.

Another time the kitchen phone went out. I traced the cables and found one that had been chewed in two in a place that was inaccessible for anything larger than a rat. I managed to run a new cable through another path and then set out some trays of D-Con poison. A few days later I found a dead rat on the floor of a storeroom that had a large gap under the exterior door. The rat had the courtesy to die where I could see it and dispose of it, instead of rotting in some inaccessible place and stinking up the house. I improvised a threshold for that door with a piece of 2x4. That has been 20 years and no more rats that I know of.

I haven't spotted nor caught a mouse in a few days. I would have to clean all the droppings to make sure there aren't any around though.

Cats have to learn to hunt mice, it's not an automatic thing. The exception would be the cats that see something moving and think "TOY!!!!", but they usually don't go for the kill.

I haven't spotted nor caught a mouse in a few days. I would have to clean all the droppings to make sure there aren't any around though.
    Remember that when you kill off the mouse population you've created an empty niche. Prolific species will find those and fill them. In other words, keep your anti-mouse program active, even if its in stand-by most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    Remember that when you kill off the mouse population you've created an empty niche. Prolific species will find those and fill them. In other words, keep your anti-mouse program active, even if its in stand-by most of the time.
    I somehow managed to read the bolded word as "pogrom". The human mind is a funny thing.

We've had no mice in our house since I sealed the holes around the pipes a good many years ago. Under it and in the garage, definitely. And we had a rat get in when I left the kitchen door open while we were gone. That was unpleasant.

And we had a rat get in when I left the kitchen door open while we were gone. That was unpleasant.
    Did you fix that rat?

@Noisy Rhysling the 4 traps will stay armed and ready throughout the year. Just with old food in them, might replace it every once in a while. During summer, mice are much less inclined to go in houses.

It's troubling me somewhat that when I search for "rat" on this page, I mainly find "moderator".

Did you fix that rat?
    Hah! Nice.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    It's troubling me somewhat that when I search for "rat" on this page, I mainly find "moderator".
    I thought it was long established in Feedback that our middle name was "rat"

The Yard Guy texted me this morning that he's caught 17 rats under the neighbor's house during the past couple of weeks and expects they'll be moving in our direction. Dang!

I just spotted Fatty, alive and well. Double dang. I'll reload and relocate the traps and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    It wouldn't eat the cow.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

You make quite a valid point here. I hadn't thought of it in this context...quite interesting i must say