Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are the seeds coming from?

Where are the seeds coming from?

A week or so ago, I took my shoes out of the closet. The right shoe had a number of seeds in it, looked like sunflower seeds. I have brought no such seeds into my condo to my knowledge.
    A couple days later, I pulled out a box of colored pencils to do an adult coloring book. I keep the box in a cabinet under my television. Along with the pencils were some more of the seeds in the bottom of the box. They were not there when I put the box away.
    What the HECK is going on?

I would guess mice.

Mice collect food items and store them away. They particularly like dark, quiet hidey-holes. Boxes in closets are prime location. This is particularly common in the winter, when they come indoors for warmth.

I suspect they are getting the sunflower seeds from a near-by bird feeder (or bird food storage), then carting them off to your nice, safe condo.

Have you noticed small, chewed out holes in these boxes?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I would guess mice. ...
    In that case, are you sure those are seeds?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Yeah, mice. (ETA: I actually was already thinking "mice?" when I clicked on the thread title to read the OP.)
    Bait a mouse trap with some of the seeds. Place next to shoes or under television. Make mental note of presence of potential injurious devices next to useful objects. Wait.

You might also take a look in your larder or food cupboard, to check for holes chewed in cartons or packets. In a condo, mice are quite likely to be locally resident rather than intruders from outside, and they don't generally cache food a long way from their nests. If the seeds aren't coming from your food stock, they may well be coming from a neighbour's.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2017-Mar-17 at 02:46 PM.

I go with the mice theory too. Peanut butter is a good bait for traps. Several years ago we had this stinky smell of death around the fridge/stove area in the kitchen. It took me a few days of searching but after taking the stove's control apart I found a mouse that had electrocuted itself by walking across bare control wires leading to the range burner elements. I would have rather found some seeds.

You could bait a trap and then maybe it works; maybe you forget where it is and trip it yourself.

A cat will get rid of the mouse.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by msollot View Post
    A cat will get rid of the mouse.
    But then you have a cat.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    But then you have a cat.

Grant Hutchison
    So, win-win.

Maybe the seeds are baby pod people. Sleep well.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    So, win-win.
    Depends on the cat's point of view, to a large extent. Some cats don't fit into some lifestyles (or some apartments). Whereas mouse traps are pretty low maintenance.

Just after they were married, my parents moved into a rented flat in an old tenement, which was infested with mice. My mother was afraid of mice. The people in the flats above and below their flat owned cats, so their flat was Mouse Central. Figuring they could never trap out the entire mouse population of a very large building, they bought a cat.
    The cat was scared of mice. My mother describes seeing a mouse, trying to jump onto a chair (uncharacteristically true to 1940s female stereotype), and finding the cat there ahead of her. She picked up the cat, lobbed it towards the mouse, and swears that the cat contrived to turn around in midair like a boomerang, landing on the chair again. (Fear may have caused a certain amount of perceptual distortion, here.)
    So now during the night, they were kept awake not only by the sound of mice in the walls, but by the sound of the cat panicking and knocking things over.

They gave the cat to someone who lived in a house with no mice.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2017-Mar-17 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling

11. 2017-Mar-17, 04:43 PM
    Reason
    duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    So, win-win.
    (I'm an admitted cat person)

Our previous cat was a great mouser. The only mice we ever saw had already shuffled off the mortal coil. When she started getting very old and infirm, we started seeing an uptick, and a big uptick when she was gone.

When we got our two new ones, the mouse problem suddenly disappeared. The only mouse problem I ever noticed was Ginger walking around with a dead one in her mouth, and Maki trailing her, looking like the cat equivalent of "dad said I could play with it now".

When my wife and I started dating, I had an apartment that was surrounded by open fields. We adopted a stray female cat. She had not been spayed so she attracted a few feral male suitors. One morning I opened the front door to find one sitting on the porch, a dead field mouse at his feet.

I'm still not sure which one of us he was trying to impress.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    (I'm an admitted cat person).
    You know, a strong course of broad spectrum antibiotics helps with that...

Takes at least a year or two before it gets bad again.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    When my wife and I started dating, I had an apartment that was surrounded by open fields. We adopted a stray female cat. She had not been spayed so she attracted a few feral male suitors. One morning I opened the front door to find one sitting on the porch, a dead field mouse at his feet.

I'm still not sure which one of us he was trying to impress.
    "And what exactly are your intentions for my cat daughter?"

I recommend a great huge Siberian cat. The massive jowls and hideous teeth speak for themselves. They cause immediate terror among
    small rodents etc ... "Look at the bones !!! "

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    In that case, are you sure those are seeds?
    Could be mouse-eggs! I'm sorry. I'm trying to get the image of an adult coloring book out of my mind.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Could be mouse-eggs! I'm sorry. I'm trying to get the image of an adult coloring book out of my mind.
    Yeah. They're just colouring books, after all, no matter who's got the crayons. Unless, I suppose, it's a special box of flesh-coloured crayons.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    I go with the mice theory too. Peanut butter is a good bait for traps. Several years ago we had this stinky smell of death around the fridge/stove area in the kitchen. It took me a few days of searching but after taking the stove's control apart I found a mouse that had electrocuted itself by walking across bare control wires leading to the range burner elements. I would have rather found some seeds.
    At our previous address, We had a rat move into our garage. I bought an electric trap at the hardware store. I was skeptical, but after a day or two I noted a big tail sticking out of the trap. As the beast went for the bait, he indeed stepped on the charged part. After that, one just digs a grave and empties the trap. It's nice when something works as advertised.

Wow Don, y'all must have some bad rats down in Fla. First I've heard of an electrocution trap, now thaaat's a better mouse trap, aaah, Rat trap! Sounds a bit on the risky side, maybe?

But then you have a cat.

Grant Hutchison
    Then you can get a bear to swallow the cat.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Then you can get a bear to swallow the cat.
    By pleasing synchronicity, that's the theme of Tom Gauld's New Scientist cartoon strip this week. Robo-bees deployed to pollinate the flowers. Mecha-spiders deployed to control the robo-bees. Bionic weasels to control the mecha-spiders. CYBORG MONKEYS RIDING ANDROID ELEPHANTS to control the bionic weasels. (I think he's maybe unaware of the derivation of "android", but it's a good cartoon, anyway. )

Grant Hutchison

By pleasing synchronicity, that's the theme of Tom Gauld's New Scientist cartoon strip this week. Robo-bees deployed to pollinate the flowers. Mecha-spiders deployed to control the robo-bees. Bionic weasels to control the mecha-spiders. CYBORG MONKEYS RIDING ANDROID ELEPHANTS to control the bionic weasels. (I think he's maybe unaware of the derivation of "android", but it's a good cartoon, anyway. )

Grant Hutchison
    You sure this isn't an XKCD panel??

Well, if you start getting peanuts in the house, you might have elephant. I'd rather deal with the mouse.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

just leave a jar peanut butter out and see if the elephant leaves tracks in it.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

ANDROID ELEPHANTS . . . (I think he's maybe unaware of the derivation of "android", but it's a good cartoon, anyway. )
    Maybe he was thinking Ganesha.
    As above, so below

Grant Hutchison
    "There was an old lady, who swallowed a fly..."
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    "There was an old lady, who swallowed a fly..."
    I'm not sure I'd want that old lady near by. She could swallow large animals alive!

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I'm not sure I'd want that old lady near by. She could swallow large animals alive!
    No worries, she's dead, of course.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

If you plant those seeds would they grow shoe trees?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    No worries, she's dead, of course.
    Was swallowing the animals what killed her?
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein