Thread: RIP Charles Edward Anderson "Chuck" Berry

RIP Charles Edward Anderson "Chuck" Berry

Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Damn...
    The one and only time I ever saw him play live was on the Tonight Show in the Carson era; he was in his late '70's. he played 'Roll Over Beethoven' and I've never seen an audience so loving, so devoted. I think that considering his age everyone watching would have been happy with just the song, but when he started on the guitar solo he began doing the 'chicken neck' and the 'duck walk' across the stage - the crowd went absolutely freakin' ballistic! A true professional and a true performer; he did not simply play Rock 'n Roll, he WAS Rock 'n Roll - he in a large part CREATED this sound we adore.

He is one of the true, genuine pantheon of musical Gods; the Creators; the real legends. It's sad to see him go but he had a good run and a good life; a thousand years from now people will still be glowing when they say his name.

And THIS is why - the best rock 'n roll ever played!
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

My late uncle (an "oldies" DJ and sound engineer) knew him and had worked with him.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

all forgot until this morning about this on voyager 1.
    https://youtu.be/ZFo8-JqzSCM
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

First inductee to the R&R HOF (naturally). He was an inspiration for the Stones, the Boss, even the Beach Boys. And, yeah, he's on Voyager 1 ... maybe he'll inspire a whole 'nother world some day.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I grew up in St. Louis. Chuck Berry lived a little outside the St. Louis area, in St Charles. I never met him, but occasionally you could see him on the highway. He drove a big Cadillac with steer horns mounted on the hood of the car. No, I don't remember the color of the car.

And yes, I'm a child of the '50s & '60s so I used to listen to Chuck. RIP
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

He was one of the greats. Play 6 notes.... and everybody knows it's " Jonny B. Goode ". No question. He had a great voice and a gift for music , and writing, and a warm command of the stage that was endearing. The world truly " Loved " Chuck Berry " , and there was a lot to love. He never lost his edge. He was always relevant. His music was embraced by generations upon generations. And he always showed up for his gigs. He inspired people who just fun-strummed the guitar to try lead , and he set them free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chuck Berry will always be with us for we shall carry him with us in our hearts and rock and roll shall be his anthem.

Dan

I used to like Chuck Berry until I learned that he stole that sound from Marty McFly.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    all forgot until this morning about this on voyager 1.
    https://youtu.be/ZFo8-JqzSCM
    The comedian Steve Martin once did a bit about an alien civilisation finding Voyager and the recording. They beam a message back to earth in response: "Send more Chuck Berry."

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I used to like Chuck Berry until I learned that he stole that sound from Marty McFly.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo Kaplan View Post
    The comedian Steve Martin once did a bit about an alien civilisation finding Voyager and the recording. They beam a message back to earth in response: "Send more Chuck Berry."
    To paraphrase....

Jay: You do know Chuck Berry is dead, right?
    Kay: No, Chuck Berry is not dead. He just went home.

His mother told him "Someday you will be a man
    And you will be the leader of a big old band
    Many people coming from miles around
    To hear you play your music when the sun go down
    Maybe someday your name will be in lights
    Saying 'Johnny B. Goode Tonight'"
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Chuck Barris has also died. Not a good week for elderly guys named Chuck.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Chuck Barris has also died. Not a good week for elderly guys named Chuck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVEhDrJzM8E

Sorry; just couldn't resist.

Rats, he died too? I loved that show - the ultimate expression of '70's cheesiness.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

At least J P Morgan is still living