Thread: Combining rotation curves and lensing

Combining rotation curves and lensing

That is what I was looking for for a long time:
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/1006.4875.pdf

Apparently combining rotation curves and lensing gives different DM halos. This can't be a crackpottery, am I right?

Regards,
    philippeb8

Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post

Apparently combining rotation curves and lensing gives different DM halos. This can't be a crackpottery, am I right?
    That isn't what the paper says at all.

What the paper actually says is that there are two possible models for DM halos and that they are indistinguishable using just rotation curves. However they have shown theoretically that by combining measurements from lensing and rotation curves you can work out which model fits the data better and get better estimates for the halo parameters.

Regards,
    philippeb8
    Philippe, I find that this is a very dubious paper. I see no indication that it has bee peer reviewed or published elewhere or referenced. And, it is seven years old.

Lot of luck.
    Last edited by John Mendenhall; 2017-Mar-20 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Philippe, I find that this is a very dubious paper. I see no indication that it has bee peer reviewed or published elewhere or referenced. And, it is seven years old.

Lot of luck.
    Wiki's article on arXiv is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArXiv

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    That isn't what the paper says at all.

What the paper actually says is that there are two possible models for DM halos and that they are indistinguishable using just rotation curves. However they have shown theoretically that by combining measurements from lensing and rotation curves you can work out which model fits the data better and get better estimates for the halo parameters.
    Ok thanks for the clarifications Shaula.

I can't find what I am looking for so this means the research isn't done yet.

Lot of luck.
    I was pointing this article out because it received a grant and UC Berkeley was part of the research.

Ok thanks for the clarifications Shaula.

I can't find what I am looking for so this means the research isn't done yet.
    Opportunity knocks.

Good luck.

Opportunity knocks.

Good luck.
    Everything is under control despite the only equipment I possess is the laptop ("magic mirror") in my lab

I was pointing this article out because it received a grant and UC Berkeley was part of the research.
    Neither or which means that it will be a good/correct paper, I sometimes review papers from grants from good universities and they turn out to be total rubbish.

However, I did find that the paper HAS been published in Physical Review D in 2010.
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Wiki's article on arXiv is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArXiv
    Please stop the side discussion about arXiv
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
    Neither or which means that it will be a good/correct paper, I sometimes review papers from grants from good universities and they turn out to be total rubbish.

However, I did find that the paper HAS been published in Physical Review D in 2010.
    Good to know... thanks.

I think this is what I am looking for, which seems to be a well known problem:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuspy_halo_problem

Yes, the cuspy halo problem is a well known problem with the listed potential solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    Yes, the cuspy halo problem is a well known problem with the listed potential solutions.
    Ok thank you for the confirmation.