Thread: Dame Vere Lynn celebrates 100th Birthday

Dame Vere Lynn celebrates 100th Birthday

For a change a bit of good news about a famous - among Commonwealth nations any way - performer. Dame Vera Lynn - known as the "forces' sweetheart" in WW2 - celebrated her 100th birthday yesterday 20th March. http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39326024 Possibly, most famous for her versions of "(There'll Be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs Of Dover" & "We'll Meet Again". The end credits of Dr Strangelove featured "We'll Meet Again".
    She appears to be very healthy and spoke to her students at her old Primary School via Skype and gave a radio interview to the BBC.

Interestingly, I recently found out who she was, but for a long time she was only a name that appeared in a song by Roger Waters, "Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?"
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I guess not a year goes by that her wartime songs get played, almost an essential sound track to any programme about ww2 , so she is a fixed nostalgia point in the post war generation.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

She was helped by the BBC and their so called 'Crooner Ban' in 1942. The Dance Music Policy Committee was tasked with censoring “slushy” songs, male crooners, and insincere and over-sentimental female singers. They committee banned more than 30 singers and cautioned nearly 60 more. Dame Vera escaped the ban so she's the only one we remember.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    She was helped by the BBC and their so called 'Crooner Ban' in 1942. The Dance Music Policy Committee was tasked with censoring “slushy” songs, male crooners, and insincere and over-sentimental female singers. They committee banned more than 30 singers and cautioned nearly 60 more. Dame Vera escaped the ban so she's the only one we remember.
    Thanks for that Captain Swoop. I hadn't heard of the "crooner ban" before. I had a quick look and it does seem like a fascinating little diversion from reality. To quote one article "An influential minority blamed the BBC’s “sickly and maudlin programmes” for significant British losses in North Africa and Southeast Asia. Sentimental popular music, they argued, had a “drugging effect” on the troops and undermined their masculinity and will to fight."

The looneys are always out there waiting to pounce.