Thread: Forum Features?

Forum Features?

A few questions I would appreciate some help with by those more technically proficient with this forum's features than I obviously am:

1. Is it possible to save posts for further editing and additions, before posting. I see this as helpful for nutting out details before posting, avoiding where possible those details being dragged out during discussion after misunderstandings. I have seen a dialogue box pop us saying "saved" automatically from time to time but I can't see where it is being saved to.
    2. Can I upload a diagram via a jpeg or other image format to posts? I tried it once early on and it didn't seem to work. Since then I haven't bothered with the feature, but would now like to use it possibly.
    3. How to use the mathematical symbols? I see them there but I can't seem to work out the next step for incorporating them into posts.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    "It's the rabbit hole that matters, not the blackhole, the wormhole or any other hole," the wolf said.
    "But, what's in the hole, Mr. Wolf?", came the question after a long pause.
    "Infinite approximations deciding everything exactly with just enough uncertainty." The wolf howled with some difficulty.
    "What about the rabbit?", was the next question.
    "Oh, he's long gone!", the wolf declared instantly.

Wholesale editing is not permitted in order to save the the continuity of the discussion. Fixing typos and such like is. Try 'reply with quote' on your own post(s) to add details.

If you can get anything useful out of the 'autro save' function, ley us know. I hate to think how many of my potential posts have self destructed.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Wholesale editing is not permitted in order to save the the continuity of the discussion. Fixing typos and such like is. Try 'reply with quote' on your own post(s) to add details.

If you can get anything useful out of the 'autro save' function, ley us know. I hate to think how many of my potential posts have self destructed.
    Thusly. 2 and 3, there are people much berrer at it than me.

Good questionss, thanks.

edit: This post almost destroyed itself . . . Caught it jut in time.
    Last edited by John Mendenhall; 2017-Mar-21 at 04:58 AM.

Wholesale editing is not permitted in order to save the the continuity of the discussion. Fixing typos and such like is. ...
    Yes, I am aware of that prohibition, but what I am asking about is the ability to save a draft, come back to it later after more thoughts and research, before posting it, not posting then revising.

It appears from your post there is no save feature of posts in progress, which can be opened at a later date for pre-posting revision and additions, which surely cannot offend anyone else or fall foul of the rule against revisionism.
    Last edited by Canis Lupus; 2017-Mar-21 at 05:12 AM.
    "It's the rabbit hole that matters, not the blackhole, the wormhole or any other hole," the wolf said.
    "Infinite approximations deciding everything exactly with just enough uncertainty." The wolf howled with some difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
    Yes, I am aware of that prohibition, but what I am asking about is the ability to save a draft, come back to it later after more thoughts and research, before posting it, not posting then revising.

It appears from your post, there is no save feature of posts in process, which can be opened at a later date for pre-posting revision and additions, which surely cannot offend anyone else or fall foul of the rule against revisionism.
    I would like to do as little editing as possible after the post is made.

It appears from your post, there is no save feature of posts in process, which can be opened at a later date for pre-posting revision and additions, which surely cannot offend anyone else or fall foul of the rule against revisionism.
    If you copy them to Word, you can copy them back to here. A nuisance, but works good,

If you copy them to Word, you can copy them back to here. A nuisance, but works good,
    Yes, I've thought about that, but I wanted to avoid it for reasons too boring to go into. One word is enough, "nuisance".
    Last edited by Canis Lupus; 2017-Mar-21 at 05:12 AM.

[tex]\frac{x}{y}[/tex]

0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    No ATM forum is better than our ATM forum.

There are hints at the bottom of the page.

BB code is On
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    No ATM forum is better than our ATM forum.

Just poking around for an option for #1, you could:

Go to Settings | Send New Message. (i.e. make a private message).
    Enter yourself as the recipient (I've checked and this works).
    Enter your message. Use [Preview Message] to check formatting and such.
    Use [Submit Message] to "save".
    When you want to do more, go to your inbox, and open your message.
    In the "Quick Reply" area, remove the "[QUOTE=MyName]" at the start, and "[/QUOTE]" at the end.
    Edit the message.
    Click [Submit Message] to "save" again.
    When ready to post, Copy/Paste out of the message into the post.

A bit tedious, and you'd want to select and delete old versions often. Personally, I'd just use Notepad - or whatever suits in the OS in use. (I do this often when making a big post.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

But please don't use Word! It will introduce all sorts of formatting that can make posts hard to read and even harder to quote.

Use a text editor (e.g. Notepad, if that is all you have) instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    But please don't use Word! It will introduce all sorts of formatting that can make posts hard to read and even harder to quote.

Use a text editor (e.g. Notepad, if that is all you have) instead.
    Or save the file in RTF or would that present the same problems?
    Last edited by Canis Lupus; 2017-Mar-21 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Just poking around for an option for #1, you could:

Go to Settings | Send New Message. (i.e. make a private message).
    Enter yourself as the recipient (I've checked and this works).
    Enter your message. Use [Preview Message] to check formatting and such.
    Use [Submit Message] to "save".
    When you want to do more, go to your inbox, and open your message.
    In the "Quick Reply" area, remove the "" at the end.
    Edit the message.
    Click [Submit Message] to "save" again.
    When ready to post, Copy/Paste out of the message into the post.

A bit tedious, and you'd want to select and delete old versions often. Personally, I'd just use Notepad - or whatever suits in the OS in use. (I do this often when making a big post.)
    Worth toying with - a nuisance vs. tedious

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    There are hints at the bottom of the page.

BB code is On
    Thanks. Helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    [tex]\frac{x}{y}[/tex]

It's more complicated than I imagined it would be, but I suppose like everything it's a matter of getting in there and getting your hands dirty and it becomes easier. :/

It's more complicated than I imagined it would be, but I suppose like everything it's a matter of getting in there and getting your hands dirty and it becomes easier. :/
    There is an online LaTeX equation editor here: http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

It is interactive (displaying the results as you type) with buttons to insert most commands.

Or save the file in RTF or would that present the same problems?
    I don't think that would help. (Saving as RTF used to be about the only way to move data between Word and other editors, avoiding all the MS proprietary stuff. But with modern tools, and even MS using open standards, that is less of an issue now.)

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Personally, I'd just use Notepad - or whatever suits in the OS in use. (I do this often when making a big post.)
    Right - cut and paste to any other (little) program. I usually have an email program running. I might paste long posts into an email message for saving temporarily while continuing research. If you're coming back to it hours later, send the email to yourself.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

I have found that Chrome will strip off any formatting by using Crtl-Shift-V. Obviously, if you used code to get the formatting and copy that, it doesn't work at all.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

MS Notepad is good for drafting. You can also DL and use Notepad++, which has some coding features, such as helping identify opening and closing brackets and has a spell checker. Also, you can use keyboard shortcuts in the text field here, such as ctrl+i = italics, ctrl+b = bold, ctrl+u = underline, ctrl+l = enter URL dialog (i.e. link).
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    There is an online LaTeX equation editor here: http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

It is interactive (displaying the results as you type) with buttons to insert most commands.
    Thanks for the link. I had a bit of a look at it last night. It may prove valuable. Often I am out of range. I might look for a program I can use off line. I've been searching around for an easy and quick to use program for the construction of geometrical propositions, but haven't quite worked out which one suits my needs best. For this reason, I asked about the image upload, because in the absence of an easy and intuitive program to construct these geometrical propositions, it may be better if I just hand draw them, photograph them, and then upload the image. The same might be the practical solution for the mathematical symbols, should I need to use them in presenting an idea.