Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eradicate "Text Messaging"

Angry Eradicate "Text Messaging"

Simply making a statement.

Not interested in debate nor argument (time and energy constraints).

A moron in Texas was (what else?) texting while driving. Slammed into a church bus killing 13 people:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...ting/99888684/

I am sick to death of pathetic morons like this guy, who is "Sorry! I'm so sorry!"

WELL SORRY DOESN'T BRING THEM BACK!!

I am all for TEXTING being completely eradicated from all smartphones and other gadgets.

If phoning and leaving/retrieving voice mail isn't enough (it used to be), well TOUGH NOOGIES.

Get a life!

--->No one TEXTS "911" - do they?<---

/end of rant
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Well, texting's more dangerous than a voice call (by a factor of about four), but voice calls still make you more likely to be involved in a crash. As does scrolling through music, checking a social media notification or trying to get the navigation function to work.
    Turning of texting just wouldn't address the fundamental problem of people driving while playing with their toys.

Grant Hutchison

There's a youtube of a woman who almost walks into the side of a moving trolley because she was looking at her phone, not where she was going. She avoided the trolley by making a hard right and kept looking at her phone. Problem was she was on the second set of tracks there and a trolley was coming up behind her fast. The driver of #2 managed to stop in time, but only just. She kept on walking as before.

In 2001 the IIHS* reported that you were seven times more likely to be involved in an accident if you had a cell phone in your car. Didn't say "using", just "having". Why? Because NOBODY admitted to being on the phone at the time of the accident.

I'm too lazy to look up the current numbers on this.

*Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    The penalties rise as it becomes clear that texting is more dangerous than drink driving. In the UK the penalties are increased and they can tell if you were texting during an accident, which means very heavy penalty, quite rightly.
    Technically its difficult to know if it's the passenger who is texting. Hopefully social pressure will work, I think it was a big factor in cutting drunk driving. It would help if dramas on television would avoid the casual use of phones while driving too.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    The penalties rise as it becomes clear that texting is more dangerous than drink driving. In the UK the penalties are increased and they can tell if you were texting during an accident, which means very heavy penalty, quite rightly.
    Technically its difficult to know if it's the passenger who is texting. Hopefully social pressure will work, I think it was a big factor in cutting drunk driving. It would help if dramas on television would avoid the casual use of phones while driving too.
    And if the police prosecuted news reporters and documentary makers who simultaneous drive their cars and talk to camera.

Grant Hutchison

Maybe there is a technological soolution to this.
    Make it so the phone only works when held by both hands.
    Make it so the phone only works while you are looking at the screen, and resets if you look away.
    Formerly Frog march..............

“One is never alone with a rubber duck.” The Golgafrinchan Ark B captain

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    Make it so the phone only works while you are looking at the screen, and resets if you look away.
    Are you trying to get us all killed?

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    Are you trying to get us all killed?
    how would that get people killed?
    The solution is to make it impossible to drive while texting....

People would still try to text and drive, is the point - except now they'd drive with both hands off the wheel, gazing continuously at their phones.

Grant Hutchisonb

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    People would still try to text and drive, is the point - except now they'd drive with both hands off the wheel, gazing continuously at their phones.

Grant Hutchisonb
    surely most people would rather pull over.

Most people would rather pull over now. It's not most people who are the problem.

Grant Hutchison

I don't believe that for a second.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

No, the solution is "hands-free driving", meaning they'll be driving with both hands on their phone. You forget that people who do this don't care what's going on around them.

Banning texting from cellphones because some morons can't use it responsibly is as half-baked as banning alcoholic drinks because some morons drive drunk. I've seen morons reading books while they drive, should we ban books, too?

Most people would rather pull over now. It's not most people who are the problem.

Grant Hutchison
    Bingo. I can see a time when it's illegal for anybody to have a phone in the car because of the idiots who use their phones while driving.

We have laws in the UK that make it illegal to use a hand-held device, but not a hands-free device, while driving. This despite a fair amount of evidence that it's being on the phone that causes the problem, not having a hand occupied. Either way, you're about four times more likely to crash if you're making a voice call, and four times again with text messaging.

Grant Hutchison

We have laws in the UK that make it illegal to use a hand-held device, but not a hands-free device, while driving. This despite a fair amount of evidence that it's being on the phone that causes the problem, not having a hand occupied. Either way, you're about four times more likely to crash if you're making a voice call, and four times again with text messaging.

Grant Hutchison
    Is that sixteen times or eight? I'm mathgnostic.

Is that sixteen times or eight? I'm mathgnostic.
    Sixteen. Though there are studies that put the total increased crash risk of text messaging while driving at over 20 times.

Grant Hutchison

Bingo. I can see a time when it's illegal for anybody to have a phone in the car because of the idiots who use their phones while driving.
    I once saw a woman "driving" while eating a bowl of cereal. Peak hour traffic, 3 lanes full, driving with her knees at 80 kmh.

Phones aren't the problem, people are.

And if the police prosecuted news reporters and documentary makers who simultaneous drive their cars and talk to camera.

Grant Hutchison
    NOVA loves using those "talking to cameraperson in the passenger seat while driving" shots.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    NOVA loves using those "talking to cameraperson in the passenger seat while driving" shots.
    Our local news just recently featured a reporter driving alone in the car, talking to a camera that was apprently sitting on the dashboard on the passenger side. The view was wide enough to see she was driving down a narrow residential street with parked cars on both sides. My wife and I were both shouting "Look at the road!" at the TV, and we're neither of us great enthusiasts for talking to the television.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by loglo View Post
    I once saw a woman "driving" while eating a bowl of cereal. Peak hour traffic, 3 lanes full, driving with her knees at 80 kmh.

Phones aren't the problem, people are.
    I imagine she finished her cereal at some point. Doesn't seem like some folks ever let go of the phone.

could of been worse he could of been late for the dentist.
    https://youtu.be/IacjiYGj9l4

the thing is the cat is out of the bag there is no way to go back before texting. All you can do is not do or do it at the least amount of times you can. There have always been idiots and since the wheel has been around there probably been accidents because someone wasn't it right.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

That would perhaps work to reduce the incidence of people fidgeting with their phones while driving somewhat.

But on the other side, it might be slightly inconvenient if your hand is injured, pinned, busy compressing a wound, or something like that. Or if you have a bit too much mud, blood or something on your face for the phone to detect it...

It should be possible to create cellphones that won't work if the user is sitting in the driver's seat while the car is in motion.

Of course the best solution, in the longer run, is to make computer-piloted cars mandatory.

There's a simple solution to this problem, just ban mechanised vehicles.
    Text messaging is a frivolous vanity feature, not something serious like vBulletin.

Just because something can be abused isn't reason enough to deny it to everyone. It's often the easy way out, so as to avoid judgments, but let's take the time to punish the guilty (and reward the innocent, as Edward D. Wood would have put it).

File under strange - I rushed my son to a baseball game. A family pulled up next to us and got out of the car holding dinner plates. Including the driver.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by spare part View Post
    There's a simple solution to this problem, just ban mechanised vehicles.
    You might want to check on the accident rate for horse drawn vehicles.