Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eradicate "Text Messaging"

I have a cell phone but I don't text, driving or not. In my state there's now a law that prohibits texting while driving, not sure how effective it has been. Wait until you get to your destination to text, why risk your life and others? Another wonderful benefit of texting - expect your auto insurance rates to rise this year : http://www.abcactionnews.com/money/a...ou-to-the-test

We have a municipal ordinance that prohibits texting while driving while the military bases take it further by prohibiting all hand-held cell phone use behind the wheel. Being a bit of a gadget guy, I usually have a Bluetooth headset on me since it's handy with both my cell phone and my work phone. I'm not the most prolific texter but I get one from The Wife or work every once in a while and it's easy enough to reply in kind using the headset and Siri.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Arneb View Post
    Some columnist (who called himself Daedalus), in Nature magazine, when I was still a subscriber several ages ago, onceproposed we should go about inventing a drink that gave you the hangover first, and the nice buzz later, as opposed to the way it is now.
    It's an interesting idea but I don't think it would be so popular. If you wanted to have a nice party it would mean everybody would have to drink in the morning and feel lousy during the day in preparation for the evening. It would make spontaneous parties pretty difficult.
    As above, so below

There was a thing in the news the other day about a guy whose neck got badly burned because while he was sleeping some loose wires in his charger shorted out. Apparently sleeping with ones phone is a thing.

There are people who just can't let go of their phone. Not while driving, not even while sleeping. (Nor while sitting next to me during a movie I paid $15 to see.)

{ See also: A recent Japanese invention of wipes for your phone. To be placed in a dispenser. In a toilet stall. }

People are stupid. (Me too, in many ways, just not in phone use.)

Bring on the public transport pods driven by computers.
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2017-Apr-03 at 10:45 PM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    There was a thing in the news the other day about a guy whose neck got badly burned because while he was sleeping some loose wires in his charger shorted out. Apparently sleeping with ones phone is a thing.
    It's not necessarily deliberate. I'm not a very good sleeper, so it doesn't happen to me, but lots of people fall asleep with the TV on or in front of an open book or computer. I think it's like that with cell phones.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    It's not necessarily deliberate. I'm not a very good sleeper, so it doesn't happen to me, but lots of people fall asleep with the TV on or in front of an open book or computer. I think it's like that with cell phones.
    For some, sure, but I didn't say everybody with a cell phone does it.

http://abc7.com/news/man-nearly-kill...-phone/1825184

Day said after his near-death experience, he's breaking the habit of sleeping with his phone on the charger in the bed.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

It's an interesting idea but I don't think it would be so popular. If you wanted to have a nice party it would mean everybody would have to drink in the morning and feel lousy during the day in preparation for the evening. It would make spontaneous parties pretty difficult.
    I remember a line from Dean Martin: "I feel sorry for you people who don't drink. I mean: when you get up in the morning, that's as good as you're gonna feel all day."

The problem isn't texting, of course. It's people. Human beings. We all do stupid stuff. Some stupider and more often than others. Every time new technology develops, people find stupid stuff to do with it. "Hey Ooog, me discover fire! Watch me put hand in it!"
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Some columnist (who called himself Daedalus)...
    David E.H. Jones. Very clever man. Some of his columns are collected in The Inventions of Daedalus and The Further Inventions of Daedalus.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The problem isn't texting, of course. It's people. Human beings. We all do stupid stuff. Some stupider and more often than others. Every time new technology develops, people find stupid stuff to do with it. "Hey Ooog, me discover fire! Watch me put hand in it!"
    That's true, and surely most of us are aware of that. But isn't the issue of safety measures an attempt to prevent people's stupidity (which can't be cured, we all have some of it) from causing harm to ourselves or others? So this thread begins with the premise that we have some degree of stupidity, and then attempts to find ways to reduce the harm from it. I think that generally speaking there are three ways around it (that have been discussed here).

-Eliminating the potentially dangerous service.
    -Cracking down on people who do it.
    -Technical fixes to prevent people from texting while driving.
    -Technical fixes to prevent accidents when people are texting (self-driving cars, public transportation).

The first seems like overkill. The second is already being done. The third sounds good, but I'm not exactly sure how well it would work. In the longer run, the fourth seems most logical to me.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    There's a youtube of a woman who almost walks into the side of a moving trolley because she was looking at her phone, not where she was going.
    A woman was killed here a while ago, because she was texting and walked right under the back wheels of a turning truck.

My phone has a Drive Mode app. When activated, it turns off all non-voice functions when moving at above a certain speed. Of course, you have to have it installed and turned on to be useful.

Plenty of people only use text because on some plans, it's cheaper than voice options. Especially in the poorer countries. There, text is a major part of communication.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright
    "It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

... and if texting was "banned", people would just use mobile accessed web sites that provided the same functionality anyway.

The problem is people, not technology.

Guns don't kill people, rappers do.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    ... and if texting was "banned", people would just use mobile accessed web sites that provided the same functionality anyway.

The problem is people, not technology.

Guns don't kill people, rappers do.
    I'm kind of repeating myself: yes, the problem is people. But we still put safety catches on guns and ACAS on airplanes and ATS on trains, because there are things we can do to try to prevent the harm that can be caused by our stupidity. And I think your point about using mobile websites is a very good one--simply stopping texting apps won't stop people from doing something similar using other technologies. Having the cars avoid crashes even when somebody does something stupid (like ATS and ACAS) is IMO the best solution.
    As above, so below

I get migraines triggered by something in some beers; when that happens, I get the hangover before,during, and after the buzz.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

... Having the cars avoid crashes even when somebody does something stupid (like ATS and ACAS) is IMO the best solution.
    And we're getting close to that. Some cars now come with lane change warnings, 360 degree proximity warnings, and automatic braking.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I want to install a recording device on my dashboard so I can record people who think they are managing this multitasking while driving thing, better than they actually are. Sometimes I think maybe seeing themselves veering off the road, into on-coming lanes, and dramatic variances in their speed, maybe it might change their minds. The only problem is, without stalking people, there's no way to present them with the evidence.

On a few occasions, when I see them clearly texting or scrolling through social media, I'll give a quick honk, just to see their reaction. Twice, I've had the pleasure of seeing them drop their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And we're getting close to that. Some cars now come with lane change warnings, 360 degree proximity warnings, and automatic braking.
    Let me know when the cars require that drivers be awake, alert and aware. (I may be dead by then.)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    (I may be dead by then.)
    In that case, you should probably stop driving.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    On a few occasions, when I see them clearly texting or scrolling through social media, I'll give a quick honk, just to see their reaction. Twice, I've had the pleasure of seeing them drop their phones.
    Just one of the reasons I've long fantasized about installing an insanely loud horn in my truck, like a train or better yet, a tugboat horn. One loud enough for the object driver to lose control of one or more eliminatory functions. Yes, that thought makes me smile. Giggle, even.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Just One loud enough for the object driver to lose control of one or more eliminatory functions.
    Unfortunately, it would also make them lose control of their vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In that case, you should probably stop driving.
    This is St. Louis, I wouldn't stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Just one of the reasons I've long fantasized about installing an insanely loud horn in my truck, like a train or better yet, a tugboat horn. One loud enough for the object driver to lose control of one or more eliminatory functions. Yes, that thought makes me smile. Giggle, even.
    One of my cousins installed a loud speaker on his Kenworth. You can hear him for two blocks against the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Unfortunately, it would also make them lose control of their vehicle.
    Just one reason that I haven't acted on the fantasy.

Just to let you all know that I am no hypocrite.

I'll soon be purchasing a new Smartphone (have been without one for a while - work in home, no kids, etc). This Smartphone has text as OPTION ($3 month additional charge) ... which I will NOT opt for.

It's a frivilous feature, a vanity feature, which too many lives have been ruined by (thanks to selfish drivers).

What really made my blood boil about this particular case is the driver is still alive. Of course! He killed 13 people but he's still alive!
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2017-Apr-04 at 07:42 PM.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    No one TEXTS "911"
    Just so's you know, people actually do. In the UK you can send a text to the 999 emergency number - a facility that's invaluable for people who have problems with hearing or speech, many of whom rely on text messaging.
    And the US seems to be rolling out a similar service called text-to-911.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    It's a frivilous feature, a vanity feature, which too many lives have been ruined by (thanks to selfish drivers).
    A gentle reminder that the quoted text is your opinion and not a statement fact and could even be interpreted as being insulting to the many people find it to be a non-frivolous and even life-saving feature not at all related to vanity. Please dial it back to a less inflamed level.

What really made my blood boil about this particular case is the driver is still alive. Of course! He killed 13 people but he's still alive!
    Wow. Actually going on public record wishing someone dead is a new, shall we say, quality.

Wow. Actually going on public record wishing someone dead is a new, shall we say, quality.
    And let's not go there, either.

Just to let you all know that I am no hypocrite.
    ROFL! Says the biggest Twitter-fan on the board. You know, Twitter. That texting app for phones.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice