Thread: Working from home?

Working from home?

My wife's son has just become father. His wife, 27 years old, worked in an insurance comoany as a consultant and then as a wealth management consultant for wealthy clients over the age of 60. She works with PCs, iPads, etc.

She is fluent in German, Italian and English.

She does not want to leave her son alone, so she wants to find a job she can do from home.

She will ask the bank she currently works for, if this possible.

If not, any ideas on how she could find something? Any international companies come to mind that might offer work from a virtual workplace at home?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    My wife's son has just become father. His wife, 27 years old, worked in an insurance comoany as a consultant and then as a wealth management consultant for wealthy clients over the age of 60. She works with PCs, iPads, etc.

She does not want to leave her son alone, so she wants to find a job she can do from home.

If not, any ideas on how she could find something? Any international companies come to mind that might offer work from a virtual workplace at home?

My thoughts are based on working from home for many years.
    The first is that not everyone can cope with the change from normal employment.
    The second is that it sounds like a great opportunity to strike out as a new business,
    but not easy to find a large company opportunity.
    obviously the internet makes such ventures possible.
    There are at least two routes,
    one is a new website to set up shop as a consultant.
    the second is to become an expert via a blog self published, on the relevant issues.
    Both will take a year to get going, but very little start up costs.
    There is another route based on the "hourly" type networks.
    This is a place to find any service and people quote for the job. The rates are very competitive so a bit daunting as a supplier.
    If you use any search engine to find people doing exactly what she proposes to do, the clues emerge.
    But my first comment applies.
    Working from home is not transferring a typical office based job to home, its all very different, you have to become adequate at all sorts of skills that previously were kind of automatic, especially invoicing and quoting.
    A "Jack of all trades" any significant gap in your set can lead to failure.
    But its getting more common all the time, I think,
    so good luck.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Working business hours and looking after a small child are simply not compatible. If she can do seven hours work in twenty four, then fine. If she has to work 9 - 5 then it won't work so anything involving being client facing is written off. There are plenty of large organisations which allow, or even encourage, working from home particularly in finance so there is hope. Finding an organisation that doesn't run on CET is another option, she looks after the kid during the day and works in the evening while the father does the reverse.

Some people, like the Memsahib, can work from home, others like me, can't. I just faff about all day and do nothing work related.

Thanks profloater.

I've done the work from home thing and the managing people who work from home. It can work, but you seem to be describing a consultant position. Consultation is the way to go. Being a WAHA (Work At Home Agent) is often little better than working at Wal-mart in most cases. The honest work places for WAHAs actually say something to the effect of "We pay like Wal-mart, but you don't have to deal with driving to work or co-workers." If the operation doesn't appear to have any downsides, avoid it like the plague.

The upside of being a WAHA is the lack of co-workers and the lack of regular hours, or even regulated hours. It doesn't help with child care.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Anybody heard about "paid to click" jobs? Scam?

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    [...] others like me, can't. I just faff about all day and do nothing work related.
    That's what would happen to me. I am happy that I work in a profession that mostly sets my schedule for me. Being productive when no next patient is looming is something I am not good at.

Anybody heard about "paid to click" jobs? Scam?
    Definitely a scam.

Mechanical Turk is Amazon.com's work from home program. It been getting a bit spammy lately, so I have been avoiding it. It used to be good for several hundred a month, but then it changed. There are a couple of others like Crowdsource, which are a smidgen better.

Avoid izea and Tomoson. They don't have any support for either end of the users. I've made a few bucks from them, but it was a huge waste of time for less than $500 over 2 years. Every time it looks good, it goes south.

Thanks Solfe

Sadly, I thing most work from home deals are (probably) scams.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Sadly, I thing most work from home deals are (probably) scams.
    Your best bet for finding work from home is to find a call center and research if they have any of those work at home positions. They have an interview process which is very detailed. The hiring process is complicated by distance (if they hire by phone) and in many cases they want remote access to your computer and you are required to have an OS which is compliant with their needs. You will need to run a piece of software on your machine to make sure you virus free and able to install other software.

One quirk of this is sometimes they need financial data you wouldn't normally wouldn't provide to an employer. It is small hint that you are going to receive company paid internet or phone service. Usually you sign the required tax forms for employment first, then get a package in the mail with all the obnoxious disclosure forms that are required for such things. Often, there is a way to decline these perks, which has another set of forms. If you hang out for a while, there may be a little extra money tacked on your paycheck for computer and phone servicing. It doesn't count as pay, it is more like car mileage. It is a token gesture more than anything else. It won't get you a new computer.

Chances are they will tell you all of this up front, but not in any great detail. It isn't official until after a training period, which means you already have a paycheck in hand before they ask you to sign these other forms for internet and phone. It is cheaper to train then lose someone due to obnoxious paperwork than it is to hook someone up with free internet and phone then try to get your money back. That almost never works.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-Apr-07 at 10:57 PM.

Postscript. I used to manage 350 work at home agents but never made manager's salary because there were no employees that reported directly to me. Hmmm. I can't believe I fell for that scam.

Thanks for the suggestions..

Medical transcription. Some companies train, if she has little to no medical lingo experience (anatomy, combining forms, etc.).
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

I'm pretty sure my doctor's office, which is part of a big hospital network, has people who work from home doing their phone scheduling. I have no idea how to find details, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I am in an almost similar situation however, she beats me hands down with speaking all this languages! Damn. I am sure she will find something. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes!

The best way perhaps is to have a dialogue with her current company, because if she is a personnel they'd want to keep, they'll definitely say yes. Or maybe compromise with the schedule? Perhaps she can report for work 2 times a week and the rest will be work from home. I hope everything will be sorted out.

Depending on the job most of it can probably be done from and the rest in the office.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Well she is a wealth management consultant for the biggest bank in Switzerland. She will try talking to them. In the meantime, she and a girlfriend are considering a specialty food packaging service for special company events or marriage parties....

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Depending on the job most of it can probably be done from and the rest in the office.
    Tell that to Robert E. Kelly. Wealth management involves providing a service to rich people, who may or may not be understanding if a child starts crying during a 'phonecall or video conference. Does the mother let the child cry or end the call? Neither is professional and does neither looks good to a client who will be paying for a professional service. In my experience, across several sectors, trying to combine working from home with childcare simply doesn't work.

When my previous employer closed the local office, they gave a handful of us chip designers the choice of relocating or working from home (as long as it worked out).

Eventually, all the employees with small children chose relocation, even one with a stay-at-home spouse. Mixing work and little kids is harder than most people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Medical transcription. Some companies train, if she has little to no medical lingo experience (anatomy, combining forms, etc.).
    Based on many of your previous posts, that sounds like a field I'd be reluctant to go into!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    Tell that to Robert E. Kelly. Wealth management involves providing a service to rich people, who may or may not be understanding if a child starts crying during a 'phonecall or video conference. Does the mother let the child cry or end the call? Neither is professional and does neither looks good to a client who will be paying for a professional service. In my experience, across several sectors, trying to combine working from home with childcare simply doesn't work.
    You could go to an office for that part of the job but for things like filing out paperwork, programming, or just writing you can do some these from home. When I worked at a call center I and other had ab option to work for home. It just didn't seem like a good idea for me but for others it worked out. It all depends on the circumstances.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

There was some technical and security issues that prevented me from working from home.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Amazon is hiring folks to work from home. The spots are only available in certain states (CA and TX are out). They provide benefits for 20+ hours per week. Pay rate is around $10/hr and the work is mostly at night.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Amazon is hiring folks to work from home. The spots are only available in certain states (CA and TX are out). They provide benefits for 20+ hours per week. Pay rate is around $10/hr and the work is mostly at night.
    That doesn't look like a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    You could go to an office for that part of the job but for things like filing out paperwork, programming, or just writing you can do some these from home. When I worked at a call center I and other had ab option to work for home. It just didn't seem like a good idea for me but for others it worked out. It all depends on the circumstances.
    From the OP:
    "She does not want to leave her son alone, so she wants to find a job she can do from home."

It sounds like she wants to combine working from home with childcare, and no time in an office. I have never known that to work in a client facing job, and by "work" I mean be satisfactory for the employer. Big financial institutions tend to be very flexible if you get the job done but unforgiving if you don't; they'll back you right up until the second you start causing problems for clients or costing them money. This goes double with wealth management because of the clients they have. I have little experience with rich Swiss but I have never found them (or to be honest many people rich or otherwise) to have much sympathy if they aren't getting the service they are paying for.

As you say it depends on the circumstances but I suspect she will have to choose between working from home and changing career.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Yes. Amazon employs a number of WFH employees in various roles, mostly customer support. A friend worked there but ended up terminating her contract. I am yet to find out why.

Is it that they failed to delivery on something. (sorry couldn't help myself.)
    Don't Panic THGTTG

What my daughter-in-law will do, is provide information about retirement planning for people who are low income and do not receive support from banks. Here in Switzerland, only high income persons will receive advice from banks.

She has the banking investment planning background and will do so from home, and provide information sessions at low cost. She will initially only work by word of mouth. She will print business cards and will pass them out to friends to pass on further.

She will work as an independent and just base herself on internet-accessible information. Lots of elderly people and low income earners are not computer-savy. She will offer a low cost information session from home.