Thread: Alien 'life' in the movie 'life': (spoiler alert).. will aliens have tissues?

Alien 'life' in the movie 'life': (spoiler alert).. will aliens have tissues?

Has anyone else seen the movie 'life' yet? I wonder how plausible the creature is?

my thoughts:
    -it looks like the plastic thing that holds beer together and that invariably ends up around the mouth of a dolphin.... does that thing have a name?
    - it eats but does not 'poop'
    - we are told it expressed all genetic information in each cell.. "It is all brain, and all muscle' (and presumably all kidney-analogue, all liver-analogue). This doesn't make much sense to me.. i would have thought that the brain would clearly need a different higher-level 'tissue' structure vs muscles. Little point outsourcing your cognition to your liver? I wonder what a human cell would look like if it expressed EVERY gene at once??

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    I saw the trailer, said "uh huh" and dismissed it - just another horrible-alien-kills-everybody-except-the-hero story.
    I can only guess; but would guess it's not at all plausible. A life form with no cellular variation at all might make sense to me if it was extremely primitive but a creature so adept at killing what to it would be utterly alien life - Humans - would have to be fairly advanced.
    I dunno - I fail to see why a creature should simply kill indiscriminately for no reason; it's a pretty old trope. When done right - such as 'Alien' - it's spectacular but it gets pretty old IMO. I'd much prefer to see them deal with a strange and unique alien life form - potentially lethal but not inherently evil. Just my 2 cents.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Quote Originally Posted by plant View Post
    We do not know this.

- we are told it expressed all genetic information in each cell.. "It is all brain, and all muscle' (and presumably all kidney-analogue, all liver-analogue). This doesn't make much sense to me.. i would have thought that the brain would clearly need a different higher-level 'tissue' structure vs muscles. Little point outsourcing your cognition to your liver? I wonder what a human cell would look like if it expressed EVERY gene at once??
    If one-celled organisms can do it, why can;t multiple cooperating organisms do it?

BTW, it was never suggested that all cells are always operating at full capacity with each specialty. All cells can act as a single brain, and all cells can act as a single muscle but that doesn't mean they are doing both at 100% simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    I saw the trailer, said "uh huh" and dismissed it - just another horrible-alien-kills-everybody-except-the-hero story.
    It was, but it never claimed to be otherwise.

I dunno - I fail to see why a creature should simply kill indiscriminately for no reason;
    It wasn't indiscriminate. And it actually had excellent reasons for doing so. It was not quite the same setup as Alien.

SORT OF SPOILERS

Unlike in Alien, this critter was alone AND in an alien world. It is not sufficient to just kill everything around and live out its exceedingly short-lived existence in a world 350 feet long with extremely limited resources.

It was smart enough to know that it was in a very tight spot. All the humans needed to do was prevent it from reaching Earth - and they had a darned good procedure already in place to do. They had pre-arranged a contingency to send the craft far enough away that any outbreak could never reach Earth. The fact that the humans were resigned to sacrifice their own lives to prevent that made that goal even easier to achieve.

So it was surely dead if it did not leave the station. It was in a race for its own survival - something they pointed out more than once. It had to kill - and was somewhat smart enough to know who to kill, and when to kill them, to protect its ability to make landfall.
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2017-Apr-02 at 05:17 AM.

just found out those things that hold beer together are called "6-pack yokes".. apparently 100% UV degradable so they don't kill any wildlife. I don't believe it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_pack_rings

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    It was, but it never claimed to be otherwise.

It wasn't indiscriminate. And it actually had excellent reasons for doing so. It was not quite the same setup as Alien.

SORT OF SPOILERS

Unlike in Alien, this critter was alone AND in an alien world. It is not sufficient to just kill everything around and live out its exceedingly short-lived existence in a world 350 feet long with extremely limited resources.

It was smart enough to know that it was in a very tight spot. All the humans needed to do was prevent it from reaching Earth - and they had a darned good procedure already in place to do. They had pre-arranged a contingency to send the craft far enough away that any outbreak could never reach Earth. The fact that the humans were resigned to sacrifice their own lives to prevent that made that goal even easier to achieve.

So it was surely dead if it did not leave the station. It was in a race for its own survival - something they pointed out more than once. It had to kill - and was somewhat smart enough to know who to kill, and when to kill them, to protect its ability to make landfall.
    OK; I can accept that. I also have to remember that it's a sci-fi horror flick which pretty much guarantees the alien's actions. It's the same argument I'm using in my book and I must admit that a completely alien alien - non-humanoid; totally different - is interesting.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

I can see it in its smallest form--as a one cell beastie, or maybe the very tiny sprout.

It would probably be sent to a cis-lunar station. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    It would probably be sent to a cis-lunar station. That's what I'd do, anyway.
    And if you don't have a cis-lunar station?

(I'm not sure this thread shouldn't be in SMAL!)
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright
    "It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

I don't think the all-brain all-muscle concept is that outrageous. It's not impossible. I was reading the other day we have a second brain in our guts. OK that consists of 300 million differentiated neurons, but it does show you could have a brain disseminated throughout your body instead of localised in one place.

What is more unbelievable is that it eats but it does not poop.

Quote Originally Posted by kzb View Post
    What is more unbelievable is that it eats but it does not poop.
    No evidence that it didn't poop, how many times have you seen the hero/villian of any movie use the restroom, heck did the Millennium Falcon even have a bathroom, and if so, was it wookie sized? Some things just don't make good cinema lol.

Seriously given it's rate of growth, it would make more sense that it was converting/co-opting the human/mouse cells it absorbed into Martian cells (ala The Thing) rather than just using them for food, perhaps shedding the unused portions like a human does skin cells.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    heck did the Millennium Falcon even have a bathroom, and if so, was it wookie sized?
    Yes. No.

Cn2eRSoXEAAboYU.jpg

plano.jpg

If I'm not mistaken The toilet would be - No 7 listed as refresher. Based on the floor plan. You can just about make it out on the model.

I wonder what a human cell would look like if it expressed EVERY gene at once??
    I never thought about it, but perhaps apoptotic? A more certain answer would be, in deep trouble.
    Last edited by Jens; 2017-Apr-14 at 10:44 AM.
    As above, so below

Has anyone else seen the movie 'life' yet? I wonder how plausible the creature is?

my thoughts:
    -it looks like the plastic thing that holds beer together and that invariably ends up around the mouth of a dolphin.... does that thing have a name?
    - we are told it expressed all genetic information in each cell.. "It is all brain, and all muscle' (and presumably all kidney-analogue, all liver-analogue). This doesn't make much sense to me..
    It doesn't make sense to me either. How will a cell respond to environmental changes if everything is already turned on. Imagine an airplane where everything is on, full throttle, brakes on, air brakes on, elevators fully up, flaps on full, thrust reverser deployed, fire extinguishers spraying, emergency doors deployed, etc. not a good situation. If you're lucky you'll just run out of ATP, but you may well destroy it.
    As above, so below

just found out those things that hold beer together are called "6-pack yokes".. apparently 100% UV degradable so they don't kill any wildlife. I don't believe it.
    Using the same argument, radioactive substances are safe because they decay into stable isotopes.
    As above, so below

No wonder Chewie had a reputation for ripping peoples arms off then..... all those parsecs without a potty break.

my thoughts:
    Agreed, I would have had a double revolt on my hands during many a cricket season if my liver had cognition. It was bad enough with the hangovers - my brain's revolt.
    "It's the rabbit hole that matters, not the blackhole, the wormhole or any other hole," the wolf said.
    "But, what's in the hole, Mr. Wolf?", came the question after a long pause.
    "Infinite approximations deciding everything exactly with just enough uncertainty." The wolf howled with some difficulty.
    "What about the rabbit?", was the next question.
    "Oh, he's long gone!", the wolf declared instantly.

The space toilet scene in "2001: A Space Odyssey" was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    The space toilet scene in "2001: A Space Odyssey" was pretty funny.
    2001? Or 2010?

2001? Or 2010?
    2001- Floyd is sitting on the john chewing a knuckle and reading a long, long list of instructions.

2001- Floyd is sitting on the john chewing a knuckle and reading a long, long list of instructions.
    D'oh. I remembered it being Floyd, and my mind assumed it was a zero-G toilet, so I further assumed it had to be aboard one or the other of the interplanetary ships.
    Totally didn't think about his trek to the Moon in the first half hour.

D'oh. I remembered it being Floyd, and my mind assumed it was a zero-G toilet, so I further assumed it had to be aboard one or the other of the interplanetary ships.
    Totally didn't think about his trek to the Moon in the first half hour.
    Most significant space poop until Mark Watney's moving moment on Mars.

I thought Life would be more like Andromeda strain. More a virus, bacteria--some kind of bug--and an infected crewmember is trying to get back to Earth--and they have to space him to prevent infection. That I can see.

Aliens are a diverse lot but I can't see any emotional aliens not having tissues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypmotoad View Post
    Aliens are a diverse lot but I can't see any emotional aliens not having tissues.
    They have issues AND tissues!