Thread: Second thoughts

Second thoughts

Hello,
    I believe I have joined a forum to which I have nothing to offer and would like to close my account. Could someone please tell me how I may do so?

Andi,

We don't close accounts, unless someone has done something wrong and they need to be banned. There is no requirement to participate or offer something. If you don't wish to participate, then just don't.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Hello,
    I believe I have joined a forum to which I have nothing to offer and would like to close my account. Could someone please tell me how I may do so?
    Hi, Andi. You may be wrong about not having anything to offer. Why not give participation a try?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Hello,
    There are a number of forums I have joined leading me to the same conclusion. I just don't go back.

In relation to this forum, I came to the same conclusion at least twice. The first time, I just stopped coming back. But for reasons too complicated to explain in this thread I came back. After some time, I came to the same conclusion. This time it was harder just to not come back. The reasons for me coming back were quite compelling personally. For you to bother to post the above, suggests you may have the same problem and you want the account taken away from you to resist temptation. One option I considered and discussed with moderators was to commit password suicide - reset your password with your eyes closed using random key strokes.

As is self-evident, I decided against the option. Thus far, I am happy with the reversal of thought. I, too, would encourage you to at least keep the account available. If it is truly of no service to you, you will not come back naturally. It might be different if you were addicted to the place, but with your amount of posts that appears highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Canis Lupus; 2017-Apr-09 at 12:39 AM.

the key thing i would always say. that whilst you may not feel you wish or are able to participate, I feel like that over a lot... there is always the chance to learn or at least think about things in a different way. in which case just read what interests you and ignore the rest. However no one is forcing you to log on or visit and if something about this place is really annoying you, you can just ignore it.

I my case, one particular notorious thread here was taking over real life and other more important stuff was going on. so I took a long sabbatical. it's just a choice on your behalf. I am a member of several forums i no longer post content to. likewise Facebook groups that I have just removed notifications from.

so unless there is something you dont want to be associated with about this forum, even anonymously then just don't come. if there is a specific personal issue then I would suggest PMiing a mod.
    You're really not going to like it, the meaning of life the universe and everything is.... is.... 42!
    What??????
    is that all you have to show for 7.5 million years of work?????
    it was a tricky assignment.

"Live Long and Prosper" in memory of Leonard Nimoy
    "I think I'll change my name to Cliff. "Cliff, I can't see anyone lasting in this industry with a name like Cliff" in memory of Terry Pratchett

I have nothing to offer
    Hi Andi, even if you just have questions those questions are a contribution, they invite everyone else to contribute too....and sometimes the questions are better than the answers so it's a win-win ;-)

I was just noticing that the original post in this thread is the only one by this poster. That seems really odd!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was just noticing that the original post in this thread is the only one by this poster. That seems really odd!
    If you must know why, it hadn't shown up for sometime, and it's tax weekend for me. Thank you for all your replies.

When I first found the forum, I had nothing much to add to the discussions except snarky remarks and curiosity. But I've learned a great deal from being here.

If you must know why, it hadn't shown up for sometime, and it's tax weekend for me. Thank you for all your replies.
    I think the point was that you joined and barely 2 days later had decided you had nothing to contribute and nothing to gain. For many of us that seems premature. But that's your prerogative. But it's also the policy of this board not to delete accounts. If you don't use it, it doesn't materially matter, though. Short of finding something so objectionable that you'd either be in legal trouble or ethically compromised, I don't understand the issue.

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Even if you just lurk, it's a fascinating forum.

Hi Andi and a belated welcome to the CosmoQuest forums. As a newcomer, your posts are held in queue for moderator approval. This is primarily a spam control measure that will trouble you no more once you have a few more posts under your belt. We have moderators in many time zones but still, it can take a while for one of us to approve your posts, so please bear with us. If you do decide that CQ isn't the place for you we wish you well...but we hope you might find it an interesting place to ask question or provide answers...or just get to know us.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
    One option I considered and discussed with moderators was to commit password suicide - reset your password with your eyes closed using random key strokes.
    Would that work? Don't you usually have to enter the password twice?

Maybe type a random password somewhere, then cut-and-paste it into the two password fields. But that way, you'd be at risk of seeing it.

But if the objective is to have the account closed, it seems like there many ways to achieve that at this board rather swiftly.
    Text messaging is a frivolous vanity feature, not something serious like vBulletin.

If you can have a new password emailed to you by saying that you forgot what yours was then you'd have to get rid of your email address or set up another one that you can't access.

Quote Originally Posted by spare part View Post

Maybe type a random password somewhere, then cut-and-paste it into the two password fields. But that way, you'd be at risk of seeing it.

But if the objective is to have the account closed, it seems like there many ways to achieve that at this board rather swiftly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    If you can have a new password emailed to you by saying that you forgot what yours was then you'd have to get rid of your email address or set up another one that you can't access.
    Seems like a lot of effort for a non-problem. Just stop using it.

I don't know. The mods seemed to think so - they certainly weren't discouraging of the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    That's a good point.

If the board doesn't verify email addresses, then it's easy to do - just make up a fake email address. If it actually verifies that your address is working before changing it, then definitely that's a much bigger hassle.

But the "rules" section has a long list of methods that can be used to get an account closed.
    Text messaging is a frivolous vanity feature, not something serious like vBulletin.

But the "rules" section has a long list of methods that can be used to get an account closed.
    Don't encourage other members to break rules.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Hello,
    Rather than focussing on what "you have to offer" spend a little time here to see what you might gain. I think if you are genuinely interested in science related subjects then I believe you will gain a lot of knowledge in this field from this forum, you never know it also might be fun as well.

Thank you all for your replies. I will hang around and check things out. One more question, editing my profile gives me errors saying I don't have permissions. What am I not doing right?

Thank you all for your replies. I will hang around and check things out. One more question, editing my profile gives me errors saying I don't have permissions. What am I not doing right?
    It's another anti-spam thing that will get fixed when you have a modest number of posts.
    There is a strategy some spammers use to put advertising or worse in their profile and signature.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Yeah, if people wanna spam us, they gotta work for it.

Andi, welcome! I'm glad you decided to stick around for awhile. Don't worry, we don't bite.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Welcome, Andi!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Don't worry, we don't bite.
    I do!