Thread: we're inside a singularity?

Lightbulb we're inside a singularity?

The interior of a black hole is clearly a separate universe in itself, or at least separated from our universe. By it's nature nothing can escape, aside of virtual particle pairs,
    Our universe has cosmic horizon we can never see beyond, effectively an event horizon, and the whole thing supposedly came from an infinitely dense point, ie a singularity.

How do we know that the expansion of space is not a result of being inside a self contained black hole, sucking in space and matter and depositing it all equally everywhere in our universe, ie dark energy? Inflation could very well have been the first large object the singularity consumed after it had formed. I also think dark matter is "simply" compressed space in which matter sits in. Matter curves space and gives us gravity. I think dark matter is just curved space without matter. We're trying to find something that isn't there, its just deformations of space and that's that. Matter matter sits comfortably in it like water sitting in a crumpled up tarpaulin after it rains.

I'm pretty convinced that's what's going on in our universe, and it will end in much the same way as hawking radiation leaks out until the singularity is no more. It will just fizzle away until the infinite density becomes finite again, which from our interior perspective will see everything racing apart until even atomic structure expands apart.

The singularity of a black hole is in the future, not the past. Matter inside a black hole must travel towards the singularity, never away. We are not in a black hole.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Given we have evidence for black holes in our Universe, then this idea means black-holes-inside-black-holes. What current science supports that?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

Quote Originally Posted by xan View Post
    The interior of a black hole is clearly a separate universe in itself, or at least separated from our universe. By it's nature nothing can escape, aside of virtual particle pairs,
    Our universe has cosmic horizon we can never see beyond, effectively an event horizon, and the whole thing supposedly came from an infinitely dense point, ie a singularity.

How do we know that the expansion of space is not a result of being inside a self contained black hole, sucking in space and matter and depositing it all equally everywhere in our universe, ie dark energy? Inflation could very well have been the first large object the singularity consumed after it had formed. I also think dark matter is "simply" compressed space in which matter sits in. Matter curves space and gives us gravity. I think dark matter is just curved space without matter. We're trying to find something that isn't there, its just deformations of space and that's that. Matter matter sits comfortably in it like water sitting in a crumpled up tarpaulin after it rains.

I'm pretty convinced that's what's going on in our universe, and it will end in much the same way as hawking radiation leaks out until the singularity is no more. It will just fizzle away until the infinite density becomes finite again, which from our interior perspective will see everything racing apart until even atomic structure expands apart.
    I'm probably misunderstanding your ideas, but it seems the idea you proposed about dark energy being equally spread everywhere may not be consistent with your idea of an infinite density becoming finite again. I also have queries about something infinite becoming finite, but that is a matter of logic which may just turn on expression.

The idea of dark energy being spread everywhere evenly appears to be a perfect recipe for recycling with never an absolute singularity to occur ever again.
    Last edited by Canis Lupus; 2017-Apr-09 at 12:30 AM.

The interior of a black hole is clearly a separate universe in itself, or at least separated from our universe. (edit)
    It clearly is not: nothing can get out, but everything and anything can get in.

Our universe has cosmic horizon we can never see beyond, effectively an event horizon....
    No, our cosmic horizon is pretty much the opposite of a BH event horizon.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

The interior of a black hole is clearly a separate universe in itself, or at least separated from our universe.
    Hi xan: The interior of a black hole is clearly part of this universe (e.g. they increase in mass when material falls into them) and temporarily separated from us because the evaporate due to Hawking radiation.

The traditional description of a black hole is that space is curved so much that light can not escape. It doesn't say anything about the density inside. The more matter the be bigger a black hole can be and still fulfill the requirements for the "swartschild critical radius". It does not need to be very compressed at all.
    According to some calculations the universe fullfills that requirement, but are definitely not in a singularity.

What is the minimum size - volume or radius - for this singularity? Hint - You should be able to find a reference to the estimated density of matter, apply the formula for the Schwarzchild radius, and come up with an estimate. How does that answer compare to the size of the observable universe? I.e. Much smaller, smaller, equal, bigger or much bigger?
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

Apparently one and done.

xan, you had your chance with your ATM idea, you didn't participate in your own thread. Don't bring up this idea again on CQ
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules