Thread: Peer Reviewed Papers Resource

Peer Reviewed Papers Resource

This seems exciting. Anyone know more about the details of this?

http://www.sciencealert.com/data-fro...s&limitstart=1

Quote Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
    This seems exciting. Anyone know more about the details of this?

http://www.sciencealert.com/data-fro...s&limitstart=1
    I have never heard of it, but it seems to be a collection of open source science news articles and not peer reviewed articles.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

It seems it's only the references that will be shared. It's essentially a resource for institutions that want to evaluate the productivity of researchers. It's part of the effort to find ways to objectively evaluate the productivity of researchers. Which is OK, but it doesn't mean much for general readers.
    As above, so below

Sputter sputter ! This miserable software trashed my 4:00 am reply ! Again. (sigh)

Ah, I see no guarantee that these papers are peer reviewed. This is a chronic problem.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Sputter sputter ! This miserable software trashed my 4:00 am reply ! Again. (sigh)

Ah, I see no guarantee that these papers are peer reviewed. This is a chronic problem.
    The sputtering, the miserable software, being up at 4am, the lack of guarantee? Which is the chronic problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
    The sputtering, the miserable software, being up at 4am, the lack of guarantee? Which is the chronic problem?
    Yes.

Ah, seriously, the peer review. Think how the ATM folk like to quote from the Monthly Journal of PseudoSciene.

Yes.

Ah, seriously, the peer review. Think how the ATM folk like to quote from the Monthly Journal of PseudoSciene.
    Seriously, though, I think if you look at the site of the initiative, you will find that the publishers participating in the initiative are all serious publishers.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Seriously, though, I think if you look at the site of the initiative, you will find that the publishers participating in the initiative are all serious publishers.
    The link above gives this error:

This site can’t provide a secure connection
    i4oc.org uses an unsupported protocol.
    ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure.

Yes.

I understand the frustration of paywalls for journals, but I have notice that most libraries have access. All you have to do is ask. My college's library apparently receives funds based on the number of users, so they have signs explaining that they are perfectly happy to hand out guess pass information to pretty much anyone.

Edit - I guess there is the general observation that ATM folks don't know how to use the library.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I understand the frustration of paywalls for journals, but I have notice that most libraries have access. All you have to do is ask. My college's library apparently receives funds based on the number of users, so they have signs explaining that they are perfectly happy to hand out guess pass information to pretty much anyone. (edit)
    That is a really good suggestion. Thanks.
    Last edited by John Mendenhall; 2017-Apr-11 at 07:38 PM.