Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie scenes you've never understood

Question Movie scenes you've never understood

The scene of an injured/bloodied tennis player (blood pouring down from his knees especially) in "Death Becomes Her"; Ernest sees this while running after the doctor who's just diagnosed Madeline as dead.

I have yet to see an explanation (cameo, etc/whatever).
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Goldie and Meryl? Haven't seen that in ages.

What is it that needs explaining?

Is this an hallucination he had? i.e. he saw the scene in his head?
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2017-Apr-14 at 08:48 PM.

One thing I've yet to understand (and maybe I'm just being thick somehow but no one has been able to clarify it for me) is in The Matrix when Trinity says something to the effect of "everything the Oracle told me has come true, except for this." What is "this" she is referring to??

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    What is it that needs explaining?
    The intense focus on the injured man. Very bloodied knees, with big streaks of blood going down his shins.

As wound up/panicking as Ernest (a doctor himself btw) is about Madeline (dead but animated), why abruptly put the focus on an injured tennis player?

I've thought that maybe later I'll "get it" or recognize a cameo appearance (nope), but movie database Trivia section provides no clue either.

Is this an hallucination he had? i.e. he saw the scene in his head?
    It's been awhile since you've seen this film? Ernest is wide awake and running around hospital ER/nursing station areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Robot View Post
    One thing I've yet to understand (and maybe I'm just being thick somehow but no one has been able to clarify it for me) is in The Matrix when Trinity says something to the effect of "everything the Oracle told me has come true, except for this." What is "this" she is referring to??
    I'd have to watch that scene again, for context.

It is ambiguous.

Good writers write well.

Bad writers write badly.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    No ATM forum is better than our ATM forum.

I have always been of the opinion that the Lion, the Tinman and the Scarecrow were always the three farm hands, in a dream form. I assumed they if they were the same actors, then they were the same characters, with different attributes for the dream.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have always been of the opinion that the Lion, the Tinman and the Scarecrow were always the three farm hands, in a dream form. I assumed they if they were the same actors, then they were the same characters, with different attributes for the dream.
    I always found the Tinman creepy.

"This" is that she would fall in love with "The One" and be in love with a dead man and "The One" would save them. Therefore, she is in love with Neo, who appears dead, but can't be because he is both "The One" who saves them and the one she is in love with. The Oracle is wrong about one or more details. Good thing it wasn't about Neo being The One, because that would have been a downer ending.

I strongly suspect that they tried to get a tricksy hobbit wordplay thing in the film and utterly failed. Remember the bit where the Nazgul threatens that he can't be killed by a man only to get stabbed by a woman and a hobbit? Something like that, but poorly executed.

Sorry, does someone believe this not the case?

Remember the bit where the Nazgul threatens that he can't be killed by a man only to get stabbed by a woman and a hobbit? Something like that, but poorly executed.
    Or, going back a few centuries further:

"Laugh at the power of other men, because nobody born from a woman will ever harm Macbeth."

Or, if you prefer 80's Nelvanian animation:

... the demon can only be turned back by "the magic of one voice, one heart, one song," but then adds there is "no one" who can stop his plan...

Sorry, does someone believe this not the case?
    My wife for some reason. She seems to think that the two groups of men are two completely different people, as it all "really" happened and was not a dream.

It really happened in the book. I tend to refer to one of the later books as "the one where she slips into irrevocable psychosis," because it's the one where she moves to Oz.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

what she means by "this", is that the Oracle says she will fall in love with the one...what she means is that she is not in love with Neo, at that point.
    Last edited by Frog march; 2017-Apr-15 at 02:53 PM.

That's certainly how it worked in Kentucky Fried Movie.

Grant Hutchison

"This" is that she would fall in love with "The One" and be in love with a dead man and "The One" would save them. Therefore, she is in love with Neo, who appears dead, but can't be because he is both "The One" who saves them and the one she is in love with. The Oracle is wrong about one or more details.
    Or the one that she was sure was was about to come true hadn't yet because the time it would come true was the near future, and she was sure it would happen because all the rest already had.

My wife for some reason. She seems to think that the two groups of men are two completely different people, as it all "really" happened and was not a dream.
    Rewatch the movie, paying attention to the behavior of the farm hands in the early black and white portion. They clearly have the attributes of the characters in Oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

She needs to watch the movie again.

Did they do the same thin in The Wiz?

That's a good remake, but it's a while since I've seen it.f

She needs to watch the movie again.
    Its a favorite in our household. It seems to be my lot in life to use The Wizard of Oz as a debate platform for the meaning of psychology, life and beer. I am somewhat convinced that this film is one of the few favorites we share and the disagreement is purposeful and has zilch to do with the movie.

Its a favorite in our household. It seems to be my lot in life to use The Wizard of Oz as a debate platform for the meaning of psychology, life and beer. I am somewhat convinced that this film is one of the few favorites we share and the disagreement is purposeful and has zilch to do with the movie.
    How is it possible for her to hold the stance that the characters at the farm - are not caricaturized by the characters in Oz???

It isn't just her travelling companions, there's also
    Almira Gulch who showed up as the Wicked Witch, and
    Professor Marvel, who appears as The Wizard himself.

And the whole cyclone transition sequence: a little old lady in a rocking chair, knitting? Two men in a rowboat taking time to tip their hats? Miss Gulch peddaling her bicycle? And the bicycle turns into a broom?

What kind of reailty could all that portray?
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    No ATM forum is better than our ATM forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    And the whole cyclone transition sequence: a little old lady in a rocking chair, knitting? Two men in a rowboat taking time to tip their hats? Miss Gulch peddaling her bicycle? And the bicycle turns into a broom?

What kind of reailty could all that portray?
    Maybe Dorothy was on an LSD trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I always found the Tinman creepy.
    Remember, though, that Oz never did give nothing to the Tinman that he didn't already have.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Remember, though, that Oz never did give nothing to the Tinman that he didn't already have.

I don't quite understand (I tend to interpret things literally), but no need to explain.

Buckle up Dorothy, Kansas is going bye bye.

That's a great line.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

I don't quite understand (I tend to interpret things literally), but no need to explain.
    I should have put a smiley in. Those are lyrics from a song by the band America.
    As above, so below

(
    Or, going back a few centuries further:

"Laugh at the power of other men, because nobody born from a woman will ever harm Macbeth."

Or, if you prefer 80's Nelvanian animation:

... the demon can only be turned back by "the magic of one voice, one heart, one song," but then adds there is "no one" who can stop his plan...
    My favorite along those lines, from Buffy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoExgr3yzvg "What's 'at do?".
    )
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It really happened in the book. I tend to refer to one of the later books as "the one where she slips into irrevocable psychosis," because it's the one where she moves to Oz.
    She may be an unabashed originalist. Hollywood had to have a dream sequence, that's all. Doesn't mean the dream was real...

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    And Cause never was the reason for the evening
    Or the tropic of Sir Galahad.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules