Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie scenes you've never understood

This scene was in the book Dune and the movie: the human/animal test given Paul Atreides by the Reverend Mother at the beginning of the book and movie. I totally understand the reason of the test: to see if he can control his urge to remove his hand from the pain. But what if he had removed his hand or tried to attack the Bene Gesserit Mother and she had used the Gom Jabbar poison needle on him causing his death. The consequences of a Bene Gesserit witch killing the son of a major Household would spread fear and anger against all Bene Gesserit throughout all Imperial Houses. The Witches are already hated and barely tolerated in the Empire and this heinous act surely would threaten all the Witches lives. I mean who would tolerate a Witch's presence in your household if she might kill your children on command for the Bene Gesserit secret agenda. Also would Paul's mother really allow the Reverend Mother to kill him if he had forced the Reverend Mother to use the poison needle? I understand the test but the negative outcome of her killing him would make no sense. It's my favorite novel and I can be a little picky over some of the details.
    Last edited by DukePaul; 2017-Apr-17 at 01:42 PM.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Robot View Post
    One thing I've yet to understand (and maybe I'm just being thick somehow but no one has been able to clarify it for me) is in The Matrix when Trinity says something to the effect of "everything the Oracle told me has come true, except for this." What is "this" she is referring to??
    I think "so far" is understood there.

In "Jurassic Park", when Hammond comes to visit the dig, I noted that the interior of the trailer was twice as wide as the exterior. I've worked in trailers of that type and would have loved to have had an interior that size.

One thing that puzzled me in Flight of the Phoenix is, would a plane with just skies be able to take off from sand? I would have thought there would be far too much friction.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    One thing that puzzled me in Flight of the Phoenix is, would a plane with just skies be able to take off from sand? I would have thought there would be far too much friction.
    Depends on the sand, and on the skis - they need to spread the load a bit more than snow skis. But it's not impossible: sand skiing.

(IIRC, Paul Mantz died during the filming of the original movie because the skis of the simulated Phoenix aircraft dug into a patch of soft sand during take-off - so they clearly had managed to get the thing moving at speed when the tragedy occurred.)

ETA: Scratch that - the crash occurred during a touchdown pass, and the aircraft involved clearly has a set of wheels in addition to the skis - the same arrangement visible at the end of the film. Here is footage of the accident.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2017-Apr-17 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    In "Jurassic Park", when Hammond comes to visit the dig, I noted that the interior of the trailer was twice as wide as the exterior. I've worked in trailers of that type and would have loved to have had an interior that size.
    Probably to make filming easier/the shots less cramped. An error in internal consistency, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the scene makes no sense because of it.

I've watched JP dozens of times, and I never really noted it.

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I've watched JP dozens of times, and I never really noted it.

CJSF
    The trailers I worked in could be pushed inside a cargo aircraft and moved around. We had hammocks to sleep in on long flights, they easily reached from one side to the other.

@KaiYeves: Different experience bases, I think.

I'm not doubting it, just that I didn't notice it, and it may not bug me that much when I see the movie again.

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

10. 2017-Apr-17, 05:31 PM

A number of things don't make sense in Jurassic Park:

Someone who "spared no expense" trusting flimsy electrical fences to contain predatory dinosaurs. Electrical generators never fail.

If you're being chased down a tree by a slowly falling motor vehicle, for goodness' sake don't move around the trunk to the other side of the tree to get out of danger before climbing down.

Door locks should only be under computer control. Backup knobs on the deadbolts? What are we, cavemen?

Just assume that dinosaurs inside large, dense jungle enclosures will always hang out next to the fence for easy viewing. Tracking collars on dinosaurs and armored vehicles to view them from within their enclosures? No thank you.

Dinosaur that can spit blinding sticky venom? Don't surgically remove the venom gland or genetically engineer that feature out.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    A number of things don't make sense in Jurassic Park...
    Being neither a scientist nor an engineer, I will admit that upon walking out of that theater, I had chest pains.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

And the concave mirror being on the wrong side of the jeep...

A number of things don't make sense in Jurassic Park:
    I have a different list of things that I think are wrong in Jurassic Park (starting with frog DNA), but I thought this thread was "don't understand" in the sense of I can't figure out what is going on, not in the sense of "that's not how I would have done it" or "bad science".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

In that context I think I can include almost the entire 185 minutes of Eyes Wide Shut. Maybe it would have been better if the pacing had been somewhat faster than glacial, but that's Kubrick for you....
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2017-Apr-17 at 08:27 PM. Reason: I can't add

The trailers I worked in could be pushed inside a cargo aircraft and moved around. We had hammocks to sleep in on long flights, they easily reached from one side to the other.

@KaiYeves: Different experience bases, I think.
    I thought Buttercup's meaning was "scenes you can't understand or where you don't know what's going on". The size of the trailer doesn't make it impossible to understand that Hammond is explaining his offer to the paleontologists.

Videodrome has a lot of really weird scenes. Like LSD trip weird.

Quote Originally Posted by DukePaul View Post
    This scene was in the book Dune and the movie: the human/animal test given Paul Atreides by the Reverend Mother at the beginning of the book and movie. I totally understand the reason of the test: to see if he can control his urge to remove his hand from the pain. But what if he had removed his hand or tried to attack the Bene Gesserit Mother and she had used the Gom Jabbar poison needle on him causing his death.
    You're assuming that the Gom Jabbar was actually poisoned. She could have been lying. Bene Gesserit are nothing if not duplicitous.

Captain America: Civil War The whole "situation" made no sense. They didn't invite the aliens into New York, nor did they try to nuke the place. Sokovia was going to be a dinosaur killer. Etc. Purely a comic book crisis. It was rather like saying that "houses sure do burn down a lot when you firemen are around."

Still want to know where Marion Ravenwood got the snowball to place against her temple, and why it shattered like glass when she flung it to the ground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marion.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	22268

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4w4fKFgu-Y
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2017-Apr-18 at 11:57 PM.

Captain America: Civil War The whole "situation" made no sense. They didn't invite the aliens into New York, nor did they try to nuke the place. Sokovia was going to be a dinosaur killer. Etc. Purely a comic book crisis. It was rather like saying that "houses sure do burn down a lot when you firemen are around."
    Marvel has made a few videos that are done as in-universe TV news excerpts, and people in the comments on YouTube like to "roleplay" as if these were real news events. This is the argument I always make, adding that I'm from New York (because I am) and that I appreciate what the superheroes have done for us.

Basic Gallifreyan technology.

Back to the OP though - I always struggled with the riverboat scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the good version, not the Johnny Depp one). Obviously Wonka was not just whimsical chocolate maker, he was also had a very strict personal ethos/philosophy (e.g. the 'culling' of the golden ticket holders one by one is pretty harsh - they were children after all, and their failings were principally the failings of their parents), but there is a truly vindictive nastiness in that riverboat scene that just doesn't seem to gel with my interpretation of his character throughout the rest of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Still want to know where Marion Ravenwood got the snowball to place against her temple, and why it shattered like glass when she flung it to the ground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marion.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	22268

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4w4fKFgu-Y
    I thought they were shot glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    I always struggled with the riverboat scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory . . .
    You should read some old fairy tales (not the bowdlerised ones we have now), talk about dark.

I wasn't disturbed by that scene even when I was little. So Wonka has an eccentric dark side, so what? The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Kids need a scare every now and then, toughens them up for the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    In that context I think I can include almost the entire 185 minutes of Eyes Wide Shut. Maybe it would have been better if the pacing had been somewhat faster than glacial, but that's Kubrick for you....
    There are so many movies that are a series of completely irrelevant scenes. In a lot of movies, though, there seems to be at least one scene which seems to be there solely to put a nude woman on screen.
    Last edited by swampyankee; 2017-Apr-19 at 07:58 PM.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

The gist of Eyes Wide Shut was a happily married man's shock and chagrin at his wife admitting - in a confessional manner - that she wasn't as happy as he. Which sent him into a nearly self-destructive spiral. I like the "Noir" qualities of the film.

Almost any scene in "Under the Skin" (2013). Full props for a Scarlett Johanssen with a ... minimalist wardrobe, but it's ??? most of the time.

You should read some old fairy tales (not the bowdlerised ones we have now), talk about dark.

I wasn't disturbed by that scene even when I was little. So Wonka has an eccentric dark side, so what? The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Kids need a scare every now and then, toughens them up for the real world.
    Completely agree about the old fairy tales. (They didn't call them the Brothers Grimm for nothing! ). Some of them are quite brutal.

I was never disturbed by the riverboat scene - I just found it incongruous with the character. Certainly Wonka was eccentric, and I agree he was dark, but that scene shows him as leaning toward the psychopathic. Some of his passengers are clearly distressed by what was happening around them, but his reaction in this scene is, at best, a detached interest.

Completely agree about the old fairy tales. (They didn't call them the Brothers Grimm for nothing! ). Some of them are quite brutal.

I was never disturbed by the riverboat scene - I just found it incongruous with the character. Certainly Wonka was eccentric, and I agree he was dark, but that scene shows him as leaning toward the psychopathic. Some of his passengers are clearly distressed by what was happening around them, but his reaction in this scene is, at best, a detached interest.
    Speaking of "Grimm" ... this nursing assistant's last name. Just now.

So was HC Andersen (sometimes brutal). Surprised me then.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2017-Apr-20 at 12:16 AM.

I think a lot of the appeal of the Disney product down through the ages was the scary stuff in the allegedly family-friendly wrapper. Naturally, other producers would imitate the formula.

The Oopaloopas should be wearing hairnets....it's a health snd safety nightmare that factory.