Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Movie scenes you've never understood

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    Ah, I've never enjoyed the "constantly getting into embarrassing situations" movies. They annoy me.
    Well, hardly "constant" in the case of Life of Brian - it wasn't exactly Mister Bean.
    But given the bucketload of movie tropes that annoy me, I can't begrudge you your annoyance.

Grant Hutchison

Explaining jokes rarely works.

Well, I didn't know Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy was supposed to be funny, so I read it as straight (and weird).
    I... don't know how to respond to that. Have you tried reading Terry Pratchett, and if so, how did that strike you (metaphorically; hopefully no one actually threw a book at you)?

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I... don't know how to respond to that. Have you tried reading Terry Pratchett, and if so, how did that strike you (metaphorically; hopefully no one actually threw a book at you)?

CJSF
    My wife's a big Prachett fan. I've read about half of one.

BTW, I love Monty Python.

Quote Originally Posted by reject View Post
    Explaining jokes rarely works.
    It rarely makes people think the joke is funny. But sometimes it helps them understand why other people think the joke is funny. So that's kind of a public service.
    While I've often needed joke references explained to me (especially on this forum, for some reason), I don't think I've ever had to ask someone why they think something is funny - I may not appreciate the humour, but I can identify that there's a joke, and in some sort of hellish exam on the subject of jokes I think I'd be able to dissect the joke structure and describe how it works. I don't like Pratchett for instance, but I can see what he's doing and that he's good at doing it.

Grant Hutchison

Well, I didn't know Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy was supposed to be funny, so I read it as straight (and weird).
    As I've gotten older and rewatched some shows and films I saw as a child, I've discovered that a lot of them are actually comedies, but for Younger Me the comedy was kind of like background noise and I was focused on the dramatic plot.

For example, when I was younger I would watch Scooby-Doo as a straightforward mystery, and when I started doing October rewatches every year in college, I was surprised by the sheer density of jokes.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2017-Jul-06 at 04:47 PM.

My parents had the Live at Drury Lane LP and I often played it, when I was a kid, but I'm not sure I appreciated it all at the time.
    Formerly Frog march..............