Thread: Geology of tides

Geology of tides

Are earthquakes and/or volcanic eruptions more likely at spring tide than neap tide?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Are earthquakes and/or volcanic eruptions more likely at spring tide than neap tide?
    To the best of my knowledge, no. If tidal deformation does trigger such an event once in a while, I would think of it as the straw that broke the camel's back, that is, perhaps hastening by a few seconds a fault slip that was about to happen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    In non-scientific language, a definite maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_...of_earthquakes

Wiki article in link abpve.

Google "Earth tides and earthquakes" also.

It requires very careful statistical analysis and locational tidal analysis.

(edit) And WRT your OP, neither, corellation appears to be WRT in between tidal highs and lows.
    Last edited by John Mendenhall; 2017-Apr-18 at 02:47 PM.
    I'm not a hardnosed mainstreamer; I just like the observations, theories, predictions, and results to match.

"Mainstream isnít a faith system. It is a verified body of work that must be taken into account if you wish to add to that body of work, or if you want to change the conclusions of that body of work." - korjik

There is a fortnightly cycle at the San Andreas, but the peak occurs during the upstroke in fortnightly tide strength, when the rate of change of tidal force is fastest.

Grant Hutchison