Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I Believe in UFOs?

Do I Believe in UFOs?

Everyone always wants to know if I believe in aliens. They really want to know if I believe in UFOs, which I don't. But do I believe there are no aliens in the whole Universe?
    The post Do I Believe in UFOs? appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

I agree with your take on it.

I always have and I keep an open mind on the subject.

One thing I would say is, you mention that we (Earth) is relatively new to the party. The universe -13.8 billion years old in comparison to the Earth @ around 4.5 billion years old. The Earth being relatively new is true for the moment, but lets say that the universe is in its infancy. There are many theories out there that the universe is likely to continue on for many 100 - 1000's of billions of years yet. If this becomes the case, then the Earth will become known as one of the "old timers" and may even be the first/original planet to harbour intelligent life. It may well turn out to be, long after its demise, known as the genesis for all life in the universe.

This is just a thought not a theory, one that I think should be considered when searching for E.T.

You mean flying saucers, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I agree with your take on it.

I always have and I keep an open mind on the subject.

One thing I would say is, you mention that we (Earth) is relatively new to the party. The universe -13.8 billion years old in comparison to the Earth @ around 4.5 billion years old. The Earth being relatively new is true for the moment, but lets say that the universe is in its infancy. There are many theories out there that the universe is likely to continue on for many 100 - 1000's of billions of years yet. If this becomes the case, then the Earth will become known as one of the "old timers" and may even be the first/original planet to harbour intelligent life. It may well turn out to be, long after its demise, known as the genesis for all life in the universe.

This is just a thought not a theory, one that I think should be considered when searching for E.T.
    I agree with all of this, and I agree too with what Fraser said in his video. I think I like the idea that Earth is one of the first--if not the first planet to harbour intelligent life (or at least life that has built technology on a level with what humans have built on Earth). But I also get the feeling that the Fermi Paradox and theories like it focus on the observable universe, which is reportedly only a small percentage of the entire universe as far as we know. Perhaps there might be intelligent life out there, but maybe they are on a planet that we are unable to see or observe, as it is in a galaxy past the cosmic horizon/observable universe.

The "observable universe" is that part that isn't dark.

As for aliens, why would they come here? We've done nothing worthy of the interest of a species capable of interstellar flight. I know some folks get puffed up with us being top of the heap here, but it's an awfully small heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    The "observable universe" is that part that isn't dark..
    The observable universe is that which we are currently able to observe using the technology we have. It may well be just a tiny portion of a much bigger picture.

As for aliens, why would they come here? We've done nothing worthy of the interest of a species capable of interstellar flight. I know some folks get puffed up with us being top of the heap here, but it's an awfully small heap.
    Why wouldn't they? Any entity interested enough to go to the trouble of traveling and exploring the universe would surely be interested in visiting us, even if we might be like bacteria in comparison.

yeah, what else is there to go and see in he universe other than planets with life? Bunch of rock and stars, sure, but life would seem to be quite interesting to most people, or else there wouldn't be any natural history documentaries.

I believe there are flying objects which have not been identified.
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    The observable universe is that which we are currently able to observe using the technology we have. It may well be just a tiny portion of a much bigger picture.
    Let me guess...

Why wouldn't they? Any entity interested enough to go to the trouble of traveling and exploring the universe would surely be interested in visiting us, even if we might be like bacteria in comparison.
    WHY would they be interested in us?

Quote Originally Posted by mkline55 View Post
    I believe there are flying objects which have not been identified.
    I saw a triangular UFO* a few months ago. It appeared to be hovering over downtown St. Louis. I smiled and kept driving. The "UFO" was an airplane coming into Lambert Field and as it was coming directly toward me it appeared to "hover", not deviating left or right. The landing approach lights cross North Hanley St. just north of I-70.

*The first reported "triangular UFO" was near Belleville, Ill., just across the river from the US in Illinois.

Let me guess...

Maybe they'd be interested in our foods, phhilosophies, our history...etc...what else out there would they want to look at?

I saw a triangular UFO* a few months ago. It appeared to be hovering over downtown St. Louis. I smiled and kept driving. The "UFO" was an airplane coming into Lambert Field and as it was coming directly toward me it appeared to "hover", not deviating left or right. The landing approach lights cross North Hanley St. just north of I-70.

*The first reported "triangular UFO" was near Belleville, Ill., just across the river from the US in Illinois.
    That would be an IFO, I think.

Wouldn't it be sneaky for aliens to make their ships look like planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    Maybe they'd be interested in our foods, phhilosophies, our history...etc...what else out there would they want to look at?
    For a species with interstellar capabilities, BIG DEAL.

As for "what else out there would they want to look at?", seriously? You think Earth would be the main attraction for them? Again, why?

Just plain invisible and undetectable wouldn't do?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That would be an IFO, I think.
    It started out like every other UFO, unidentified until I sussed it out. The difference between me and my cousins with the six toes and five teeth is that I thought about it.

Admitting that the universe is so much older than Earth, even our galaxy is over 13 billion years old, it seems like very long odds that we are the first instance of intelligent life, or even anywhere near the first. There could easily have been planets as hospitable to intelligent life as ours is, for over a billion years before planet came into existence. So, as Dr. Fermi famously asked, where are they?
    The fact that we have no indisputable evidence of the presence of intelligent extraterrestrials may due to our unreadiness to deal with this knowledge, and the cognizance and care employed by these other species in dealing with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross 54 View Post
    Admitting that the universe is so much older than Earth, even our galaxy is over 13 billion years old, it seems like very long odds that we are the first instance of intelligent life, or even anywhere near the first. There could easily have been planets as hospitable to intelligent life as ours is, for over a billion years before planet came into existence. So, as Dr. Fermi famously asked, where are they?
    The fact that we have no indisputable evidence of the presence of intelligent extraterrestrials may due to our unreadiness to deal with this knowledge, and the cognizance and care employed by these other species in dealing with us.
    Or the disregard for us that comes from us being utterly unnoticeable in the greater universe. We are smack dab in the middle of Petticoat Junction.

More logical than old British phone booths.

Beyond a certain point of technical advancement, which could have been reached at many times and places in our galaxy, there is probably very little that escapes the notice of extraterrestrial civilizations. Then, too, if they wished to conceal themselves, they could almost certainly do so, to whatever degree of thoroughness was desired. They could probably even appear in an elusive manner, perhaps to gradually accustom us to their presence, without the degree of consistency that would permit scientific confirmation when we might desire it.

Beyond a certain point of technical advancement, which could have been reached at many times and places in our galaxy, there is probably very little that escapes the notice of extraterrestrial civilizations.
    Your proof for this?

Wasn't claiming to state facts, merely what seem reasonable possibilities, hence the use of the words 'could have been' and 'probably'. Proof doesn't seem to apply, at our stage of knowledge.
    Given our own rapidly expanding ability to scrutinize the universe, it seems quite reasonable that this would be far more advanced in a civilization millions of years our senior, quite likely in ways we can't even imagine.
    Unless we're willing to assume ourselves unique, or nearly so, a multitude of more advanced civilizations in our galaxy appears to be a quite reasonable proposition.

For the same reason we are interested in them.
    So we know we're not alone.

One data point in a galaxy tells us only so much.
    A second data point tells us MUCH more than twice-as-much.

That works for them too.

Unless you're further positing that the galaxy is perfectly lousy with alien civilizations, and we're far down on their list of interesting species to explore.
    That's a bold posit indeed. Seems a bit jumping the gun.

Beyond a certain point of technical advancement, which could have been reached at many times and places in our galaxy, there is probably very little that escapes the notice of extraterrestrial civilizations. Then, too, if they wished to conceal themselves, they could almost certainly do so, to whatever degree of thoroughness was desired. They could probably even appear in an elusive manner, perhaps to gradually accustom us to their presence, without the degree of consistency that would permit scientific confirmation when we might desire it.
    I'm not really sure, but I guess the point you're trying to make is that it is impossible to prove that ETs are not observing us. I doubt that anyone would seriously challenge that assertion. I personally find it very implausible that ETs are visiting us, but no way would I ever claim that it's impossible.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    I would also assume that they would be interested. Of course, since we can't assume certain features of their mentality, it's not possible to categorically state that they would or wouldn't.
    As above, so below

Surely they would be heading to Erroticon6

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'm not really sure, but I guess the point you're trying to make is that it is impossible to prove that ETs are not observing us. I doubt that anyone would seriously challenge that assertion. I personally find it very implausible that ETs are visiting us, but no way would I ever claim that it's impossible.
    Asserting something as obvious as that was not my point. I was proposing a explanation for how extraterrestrial civilizations could be common in the galaxy, and yet not be in overt contact with us; not so obviously present as to make this universally recognized.

Though I'm not saying this is strictly true, I believe the main reason would be that, from our own experience, intelligence also tends to bread inquisitiveness. I assume the likelihood of an advanced alien race with the technology to space travel between systems would not just ignore this planet if it happened to notice its existence. Again this is all based on the assumption that it/they followed similar thought processes to intelligent life here on this planet.

Asserting something as obvious as that was not my point. I was proposing a explanation for how extraterrestrial civilizations could be common in the galaxy, and yet not be in overt contact with us; not so obviously present as to make this universally recognized.
    I'm not sure if we're really at odds here. I understand what you are saying, but to me what you are saying is merely that it is possible. But I don't think it makes it likely at all. For example, if you are in the middle of a forest, and you don't see anybody, it's either because there is nobody there or because there is somebody there who is hiding. And you can never know that. But you can make guesses based on how populated the area is, for example. But since we have no idea of the population of ET civilizations, we can't make that judgment.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post

One data point in a galaxy tells us only so much.
    A second data point tells us MUCH more than twice-as-much.

That works for them too.

Unless you're further positing that the galaxy is perfectly lousy with alien civilizations, and we're far down on their list of interesting species to explore.
    That's a bold posit indeed. Seems a bit jumping the gun.
    I think humans are too impressed with themselves.