Thread: Youtube as a Job.. i am thinking of creating an amateur Astronomy Youtube Channel.

Youtube as a Job.. i am thinking of creating an amateur Astronomy Youtube Channel.

Given that i am currently at home on maternity-leave. I was wondering if anyone of you here has a Youtube Channel. I have been thinking of creating an amateur astronomy channel for the longest time. I have read about how people generally earn an income via Youtube. I know about monetisation and google adsense, but maybe someone here could add more to this? Maybe even explain a bit further? It would be interesting to find out how Youtube basically works

From what I understood, you shouldn't hope on making much more than $5 per month from YouTube unless you plan to stream your astronomy webcasts in clothing that reveals quite a lot of celestial bodies.

Maybe a good calculation would be to simulate the income you could get based on the number of views that Phil Plait gets from his YouTube channel. Then realize you are likely going to be less popular. Even when drowning your videos in ads, the income will be marginal with Phil's amount of views.

The real way to make money with YouTube, unless you're one of the extremely popular Multi-million views per week channels, is to use YouTube to gather the target audience for your shop or service that you offer outside of YouTube.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2017-Apr-20 at 12:04 PM.

So all she needs is some goats, to go bald, tell a lot of bad puns and time travel.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The thing is Phil had a blog back in 90's when no one had a blog. Then the whole we did go to the moon thing took off again and he wrote about that for a while. It caught on for a while and he made contacts in the skeptical community and then in Hollywood. You have to find you own hook and get lucky that someone spots it and spreads it.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

One thing to do is probably to do a few episodes and ask someone with a following to view it and see if they can plug it for you.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

TheBadAstronomer has just under 43 thousand subscribers. Has he ever said how much money he gets from YouTube?

Armored Skeptic recently said how much money he's getting from YouTube videos. I don't remember the exact amount or which video he said it in, but it was several hundred to a bit over a thousand dollars per month... a substantial fraction of what would be needed to live a normal life on (outside of the giant cities with the giant costs of living), but not enough on its own. He has a bit over 350 thousand subscribers. (The subjects he talks about aren't as narrow as astronomy; he address religion and politico-cultural stuff that can be expected to draw in more viewers than a focus on a single category of science. Even among science channels, the more topic-inclusive ones get more viewers & subscribers than the focused ones.)

Living on it would probably require at least a half-million subscribers. That's close to the level of the informative/educational channels that are sponsored by established organizations like PBS and tend to recommend each other to their viewers and occasionally collaborate with each other (which also helps them share viewers). Even if you can get that many as an outsider to any such network of channels, it won't be immediate, so your pre-YouTube income needs to be sustained until you reach that level, while you're still putting in the work at both jobs.

You might be able to get an income that feels significant to you, but you need to plan on thinking of it as just "extra", and plan how much work you're willing to put in according to that.
    Last edited by Delvo; 2017-Apr-21 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    From what I understood, you shouldn't hope on making much more than $5 per month from YouTube unless you plan to stream your astronomy webcasts in clothing that reveals quite a lot of celestial bodies.

Maybe a good calculation would be to simulate the income you could get based on the number of views that Phil Plait gets from his YouTube channel. Then realize you are likely going to be less popular. Even when drowning your videos in ads, the income will be marginal with Phil's amount of views.

The real way to make money with YouTube, unless you're one of the extremely popular Multi-million views per week channels, is to use YouTube to gather the target audience for your shop or service that you offer outside of YouTube.
    I haven't started my new YouTube Career, and I have no excuse not to either. Now I understand that this is only a hobby, but someone like me chose to take that hobby and make it beyond the average budget.
    Last edited by Dee thompson; 2017-Apr-25 at 09:59 AM.

I don't get what you're saying, it appears to be a copy-paste from somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I don't get what you're saying, it appears to be a copy-paste from somewhere?
    My main point was that it should first and foremost be a hobby, or something you enjoy doing before seeing the advantages of earning through it, and i am guessing with this type of subject, the views will not be that many.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    One thing to do is probably to do a few episodes and ask someone with a following to view it and see if they can plug it for you.
    Very good point to note. Thank you! I just stumbled upon an article that had some pretty good pointers. I might as well try and practice these steps recommended.