Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cassini's look at Saturn below the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Wow, we are about a day away from Cassini taking its last image.
    It will indeed be sad to lose this wonderful robot.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    It will indeed be sad to lose this wonderful robot.
    I'm reminded of a quote more often referenced on the loss of a biological being.
    "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

- Dr. Seuss
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

A very nice video from Scott Manley, showing 13 years of orbits around the Saturn system (in chronological order) with corresponding images that Cassini took during that part of the mission.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    A very nice video from Scott Manley, showing 13 years of orbits around the Saturn system (in chronological order) with corresponding images that Cassini took during that part of the mission.
    Wow that must have been a labour of love to put together.

The Voyager/Pioneer probes will go on forever--and were known for their firsts.

Cassini--to me--was always about endings.
    It was called the "last of the super-probes"--launched in the Goldin-era stagnation that gave us "faster,better,cheaper." It was launched by one of the last Titans--and the anti-nukes marred what should have been a joyous occasion

It slipped into Saturn's orbit not long after my parents began to moulder in the grave--my Dad dying one year to the day after Columbia fell from the skies.

After the Moon-landings, the most excited I ever got over unmanned probes was the first pics of Miranda coming from Voyager 2--thinking at first that the moon had been strip-mined. But Cassini's orbital mission is right up there. After the orbiter losses, the two spacecraft I mourn for the most--were ENVISAT and Cassini.

Cronus hath devoured yet another child of Olympus...having cut off our communication...

Cronus

Golden, brave, and strong,
    once upon a time.
    Crown on head, sickle in hand,
    Eyes looking over his kingdom.
    Just and good ruler of all.
    Last edited by publiusr; 2017-Sep-16 at 06:50 PM.

I'm glad you mentioned Pioneer, most people forget about them.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Cassini--to me--was always about endings.
    It was called the "last of the super-probes"--launched in the Goldin-era stagnation that gave us "faster,better,cheaper." It was launched by one of the last Titans--and the anti-nukes marred what should have been a joyous occasion
    I wil never forgive Michiru Kaku for his irrational anti-nuclear fear-mongering prior to the launch.

I think it's poignant that the year when Cassini was first launched into space in 1997 was also the same year I saw Saturn for the first time in a telescope at the tender age of nine. It was a beautiful craft giving us lots of awesome science and data (as well as the dozens of gorgeous images of Saturn and its moons), and while, yes, it is sad to see it go, I understand that it was a necessary end. We may never know for certain whether Enceladus and/or Titan have signs of life (even microbial life), but as the cliche goes, "better safe than sorry". Even though at the end of the day, it was a robot controlled by a diverse team back on Earth, we can't help but miss the spacecraft. (Pixar clearly knew what it was doing with Wall-E--we humans certainly have a tendency to anthropomorphise or fall in love with inanimate objects/robots/spaceprobes, and aforementioned animation studio knew it and cashed-in on it.)

We had two good comets that year--Mir was about to fall. STS did laps in LEO

Even after its death, the data Cassini sent us is telling us new information about Saturn.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...own-on-planet/

Although Cassini has vaporized in Saturn's atmosphere, scientists are still learning from its final findings. The latest discovery looks into how Saturn's rings effect the planet itself: by raining methane onto the planet's atmosphere.

Cassini's Ion and Neutral Mass Spectrometer (INMS) collected data on the composition and structure of positive ions and neutral particles in Saturn's magnetosphere in the craft's Grand Finale. The magnetosphere is a cavity in space created by the solar wind generated by Saturn's magnetic poles. Saturn has the second largest magnetosphere in the solar system, bested only by Jupiter.

The INMS team expected that molecules from the magnetosphere were falling onto the planet. However, what exactly was falling turned out to be a surprise. The planet's famed icy rings were expected to be raining down water, but the INMS detected methane as well. The question now is: How is methane getting there? Finding methane that high up in the atmosphere was unexpected, NASA says.

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    The magnetosphere is a cavity in space created by the solar wind generated by Saturn's magnetic poles.
    I think I know what they're saying here, but it is a poorly constructed sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Robot View Post
    I think I know what they're saying here, but it is a poorly constructed sentence.
    Reconstruct the sentence to give us a better understanding please.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Reconstruct the sentence to give us a better understanding please.

Ok.. here's the sentence: "The magnetosphere is a cavity in space created by the solar wind generated by Saturn's magnetic poles."

The way this parses is to suggest either that the solar wind is generated by Saturn's magnetic poles or that the cavity in space is created by the solar wind. Neither is correct.

If you wanted to retain as many of the original's words as possible, you could write something like this, which would read better: "The magnetosphere of Saturn, generated by the planet's magnetic field, is a cavity in the solar wind."

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Robot View Post
    Ok.. here's the sentence: "The magnetosphere is a cavity in space created by the solar wind generated by Saturn's magnetic poles."

The way this parses is to suggest either that the solar wind is generated by Saturn's magnetic poles or that the cavity in space is created by the solar wind. Neither is correct.

If you wanted to retain as many of the original's words as possible, you could write something like this, which would read better: "The magnetosphere of Saturn, generated by the planet's magnetic field, is a cavity in the solar wind."
    Thanks I was wondering how Saturn could create a solar wind