Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you react to getting older? Any story is fine but aiming for funny

As I get older, I slowly realize that I shouldn't ask for the family sized pizza every time I crave for one. When you are old a slice of pizza = a whole freaking pizza...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    What's worse is when they simply provide a blank box, you type your year of birth, click Submit, and get a message, "No, seriously."
    You know back in the 90's some games let you answer a few world news/pop culture questions to assure you were over 12? I'm afraid that if new games would still use that approach today, I would be too old to answer the pop culture part. Which might have been part of the plan all along.
    Last edited by Nicolas; Yesterday at 08:47 AM.

I went to school for a history degree. In several classes, "history" encompassed things that I lived. One of the more amusing topics, Bethlehem Steel's closure and the effects on Western New York. I used to read the meters there, I physically walked it.

As far as coping with age and life in general, I might have bought a puppy this year to cope. And a kayak.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

You mean other than getting wiser and smarter, then no.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

My wife and I went to a small museum in a country town on the south coast of New South Wales. We both chuckled when we saw they had an exhibition of paraphernalia from the "Swinging 60's".

Our chuckles quickly stopped as we realised that many of the exhibits were the same make and model of items we had in our respective houses while growing up... at one stage I idly wondered if they had somehow found a time machine, gone back and robbed my bedroom as a 10 year old....

More disturbingly, I normally drive my daughter to the train station for Uni before driving to my job. Today she was going in late, and didn't need a lift. I have been highly distracted at work with a series of projects, but even so I was very disturbed this morning when I realised I had still driven to the station, even though my daughter wasn't in the car......

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    when I realised I had still driven to the station, even though my daughter wasn't in the car......
    So how long did you wait for her to get out?

One morning several years ago, I drove to the hardware store which is about half a mile from my home, and upon getting there I finally noted a coffee mug which my wife had set down on a front fender. We'd been working outside the house and I had to go and get something.

I probably should have bragged about my smooth driving skills that had gotten me there through several turns and stops without dislodging the thing (it was a "traveling" item with a rubberized bottom), but I was more embarrassed at not noticing it in the first place. Steady hands, but the mind is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by morose View Post
    So how long did you wait for her to get out?
    I'll bet she was on her phone and didn't notice they were there. (J/K)

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    My wife and I went to a small museum in a country town on the south coast of New South Wales. We both chuckled when we saw they had an exhibition of paraphernalia from the "Swinging 60's".

Our chuckles quickly stopped as we realised that many of the exhibits were the same make and model of items we had in our respective houses while growing up... at one stage I idly wondered if they had somehow found a time machine, gone back and robbed my bedroom as a 10 year old....

More disturbingly, I normally drive my daughter to the train station for Uni before driving to my job. Today she was going in late, and didn't need a lift. I have been highly distracted at work with a series of projects, but even so I was very disturbed this morning when I realised I had still driven to the station, even though my daughter wasn't in the car......
    The Jefferson County Museum here in Port Townsend has the exact model of kitchen stove from the 1950's that I grew up with. Two ovens and a built-in soup pot. My mother LOVED that thing. She presumably got it in 1952 when our house was built and kept until about 1982 when they just wouldn't repair it any more.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.