Thread: 2007 OR10 dwarf planet moon

2007 OR10 dwarf planet moon

NASA: Hubble Spots Moon Around Third Largest Dwarf Planet

The combined power of three space observatories, including NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, has helped astronomers uncover a moon orbiting the third largest dwarf planet, catalogued as 2007 OR10. The pair resides in the frigid outskirts of our solar system called the Kuiper Belt, a realm of icy debris left over from our solar system's formation 4.6 billion years ago.

With this discovery, most of the known dwarf planets in the Kuiper Belt larger than 600 miles across have companions. These bodies provide insight into how moons formed in the young solar system.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    No ATM forum is better than our ATM forum.

I saw that yesterday. Very cool; nice piece of data analysis.

I wonder if 2007 OR10 will get a name now?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It's up to the co-discoverers to propose a name, and they haven't done so, up to now. I follow 2 of them on Twitter, and there's occasional teasing of one of them for her never proposing a name. With this announcement, she's said she would get it done, so to speak. I think "officially" they all have to weigh in.

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

I wonder if moons of moons will be found. Such chances are greater out those distances.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

AIUI, after 10 years, anyone can propose a name. It's now been 10 years, so make your suggestions.

Has OR-10 been officially declared a dwarf planet? Hadn't heard about any additions to the original 5. Not that I think it makes any difference. They really should just abolish that category. It serves no purpose, which is probably why no additions have been made.

And while we're at it, let's propose a name for 2002MS4, which is almost as big as 2007 OR10.

Dwarfy McDwarfface?

In a seriousness, is there a naming convention for these types?

To clarify an earlier point:

2007OR10 was announced in 2009, so 2019 is the earliest "public" suggestions for a name could come about. I haven't seen anything very recent from Dr. Schwamb or Dr. Brown regarding this, but they are quite busy with other work. I hope the whole team can weigh in and come up with something suitably cool.

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; Yesterday at 05:23 PM. Reason: whooops, missing sentence part.
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I wonder if moons of moons will be found. Such chances are greater out those distances.
    We just had this discussion in a Q&A thread, and the short answer is probably not. A moon around a moon around a dwarf planet becomes a three-body problem, for which there are very limited stable solutions.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We just had this discussion in a Q&A thread, and the short answer is probably not. A moon around a moon around a dwarf planet becomes a three-body problem, for which there are very limited stable solutions.
    Thanks, Swift. I just recently read that KBOs don't have the planetary perturbation problems that prevent moons from having moons. [But now I don't recall where I read it. If I find it, I will post at the thread you shared.]
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.