Thread: Starlite

Starlite

Is this a real thing, or is it bogus?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlite

The claim is real. If you read the wiki page you know as much as anyone else.

Grant Hutchison

I think I vaguely recall this.

I seem to remember seeing this on on NBC

Is the description plausible?

I don't recall ever hearing of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Is the description plausible?
    I guess if no one knows how it was made, nor the properties of it, nor that has samples of it, the working answer has to be "no". And no, it doesn't sound plausible that a material with that much organic content can stand such high temperatures.

Under tests, Starlite was claimed to be able to withstand attack by a laser beam that could produce a temperature of 10,000 degrees Celsius.
    This sentence, is almost meaningless. "A laser that could produce a temperature of ...."

What temperature some laser beam may or may not produce will be completely dependent upon what the laser is (frequency, energy density) and what the absorption/reflectivity of the material is. A piece of paper, whether it is black or white, will be a different temperature from the same laser beam. So, saying it "could" produce 10,000 C... well, if it is a highly polished surface, reflective at the frequency of the laser, it could produce a temperature of 10C (if the room is 9C).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Starlite is nothing.

Once I witnessed one man saw another in half, move his two parts to opposite sides of the stage, and then restore him to wholeness.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    No ATM forum is better than our ATM forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    Starlite is nothing.

Once I witnessed one man saw another in half, move his two parts to opposite sides of the stage, and then restore him to wholeness.
    Pictures or it didn't happen!

How different in numbers would it be from Aerogel? Combat-proven in the Stardust mission.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    How different in numbers would it be from Aerogel? Combat-proven in the Stardust mission.
    I had thought they were one in the same material. I guess I was wrong. I don't know why I thought that, other than the description is pretty close.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

This is the footage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP62WMvrNhg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C5oQiUU_U

This stuff here looks like sawdust, cornstarch, maybe flour...?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htntNOiYcZU

It's sacrificial. All we see is poor-mans PICA ablative.

If I remember, some of the early materials tested for manned spacecraft heat shields included phenolic-impregnated cork. These worked by pyrolysis of the material, i.e., its decomposition absorbing heat energy.

Starlite is then kind of meh; been there, done that, moved on. A lot of very bright people simply don't do their homework, and that may well have been the case here.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.