Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP: LookingSkyward

Okay, you have to admit, what better legacy can there be than to have a pumpkin hurler named after you?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    From last year's hurling thread...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burlington16.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	22387

ETA: I believe that for this year's event, I will be Team Skyward.
    Nice! I love it.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I wasn't going to come back until I had a story written up, but I heard about this from a friend who reads the forum daily but isn't a member.

How could this be!?

My brother sends his condolences as Skyward was a fellow sailor.

Geo, Capt Swoop, other sailors, at 4 PM local, (-8 Zulu) I'm going to start a series of toasts for Skyward's memory. Busting open the thirty year, old aged in whisky barrels rum. (AKA the "good stuff").

Join me if you wish.

And may God bless and be with Skyward's wife and children at this time of loss.

Fair winds and following seas.
    Done. A shot of Herradura tequila in David's honor.

David served on the USS Michigan, SSBN-727 Gold crew. As a fellow submariner, a fellow Brother* of the 'Phin, a fellow boomer sailor, a fellow Cold Warrior, I salute David's memory. He is now on Eternal Patrol.

*There are now Sisters of the 'Phin, so we'll have to adjust our toasts in the future.
    Last edited by geonuc; 2017-Jun-14 at 11:53 PM. Reason: sounds better

I've started to post that five or six times now, but keep thinking it doesn't work for a submariner. I guess it does at that.
    It does. We submariners like to think of ourselves as something special, but at the core, we are sailors.

No way! No fair!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

The loss of one diminishes us all.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

RIP: LookingSkyward

You have to name the peeps in the picture Treb.

I've never seen any of you.
    Big Don I am pretty sure the fellow wearing a USS Michigan hat SSBN-727 is Looking Skyward. I hope he had a peaceful passing. I always enjoyed his posts and friendliness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A great loss. Fellow boat sailor. Great poster. He will be missed.

You have to name the peeps in the picture Treb.

I've never seen any of you.
    I missed this somehow, along with a PM from Buttercup asking the same thing.

Dave is second from left. The tall guy is our own Torsten. Guy on left is a family friend, Carla is next to Dave, then two daughters. I don't recall who the lady on the right was, might have been Dave's sister or Carla's.

Oh, and the dairy warehouse in the background was once hit by a pumpkin.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    David served on the USS Michigan, SSBN-727 Gold crew. As a fellow submariner, a fellow Brother* of the 'Phin, a fellow boomer sailor, a fellow Cold Warrior, I salute David's memory.
    My Dad worked his way up to chief engineer on the USS Henry L. Stimson SSBN-655. He's a retired Mustang now. Otherwise he fits the same descriptors.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

He was always quick to wish everyone a happy birthday.

He had just bought a crimper for his hobbies.

Geo, Capt Swoop, other sailors, at 4 PM local, (-8 Zulu) I'm going to start a series of toasts for Skyward's memory. Busting open the thirty year, old aged in whisky barrels rum. (AKA the "good stuff").
    A little off topic, but this reminds me Capt Swoop hasn't been around for some time. He disappeared from ISF at about the same time as well. Hope he's ok.

One of the few drawbacks in having a very large family, is that we will experience death of loved ones many, many times.

Enjoy life.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Gloom...sadness...loss.

But in the midst of our loss let's remember the cheerfulness; the glad joy of LookingSkyward. His was a life lived well and fully; he gave his cheer to those around him. I don't know anything of the man other than the cheerful posts on this forum but they were wonderful - kind, welcoming, warm and generous.

This world has lost a light; the next has gained one and upon my departure from this world I won't be surprised to see a happy face waiting to welcome me in.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDevo View Post
    Gloom...sadness...loss.

But in the midst of our loss let's remember the cheerfulness; the glad joy of LookingSkyward. His was a life lived well and fully; he gave his cheer to those around him. I don't know anything of the man other than the cheerful posts on this forum but they were wonderful - kind, welcoming, warm and generous.

This world has lost a light; the next has gained one and upon my departure from this world I won't be surprised to see a happy face waiting to welcome me in.
    A great way to look at things. We were fortunate enough to share some lifetime with him.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Last evening, after posting my question for feedback regarding children's poetry, I wondered if LookingSkyward would chime in. He'd expressed an interest in my poetry. And then I remembered...

I miss him.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

You're not the only one. I had the pleasure of meeting him IRL several times. A truly nice person.

You're not the only one. I had the pleasure of meeting him IRL several times. A truly nice person.
    I was really looking forward to meeting him in Leavenworth in Sept/Oct. During our facebook messenger chat about the details, he even mentioned the possibility of "tricking" you into joining us.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

If you are around on the 30th of September, you can meet me at the Pumpkin Pitch. Or we can figure something out, I'd love to meet you.

Its always sad news to hear a decent person has passed.

Its nice to know Dave was extremely well thought of, genuinely liked and cared about by so many people.

My thoughts and sadness go out to his wife and daughters.

Heading for the Pumpkin Pitch tomorrow. Hope to meet up with Carla there, she's apparently working in the kid's area. I will miss Dave greatly.

Geez, I'm about to start bawling.