Thread: Red lights mystery -

Question Red lights mystery -

Husband and I have arrived home (yesterday) from a long road trip to near my hometown. En route to our destination...well, please read the brief letter to a local (there) news reporter, concerning a 2011 article regarding reports of mysterious red lights in that region (no, I'm not implying or thinking "UFO"):

Nearing midnight on June 21, while driving north on I-35, nearing our hotel destination, husband and I saw "a field" of red lights near Hampton; like a huge square net of red lights - quite sizeable. All blinking. Half low to the ground, the other half twice as high. The thought "airplane field" initially crossed my mind, but I quickly decided it couldn't be for the closeness of the lights to each other and its "net-like" layout.

I hadn't been home in many years, but despite that I was stymied. Were these lights related to agriculture or livestock? If so, to what purpose? And why only near Hampton (the sun had set 90 minutes prior)?

This statement in your 2011 article especially caught my attention: "And several folks recently saw a cluster of 20 or 30 flare-like red lights..."

I've also seen an article via Google concerning "red flashing lights on wind turbines," but the "net-like field" of red lights we saw were no higher than our vehicle on I-35; we were looking DOWN at them.

On the way home (southbound in I-35), in broad daylight, I saw nothing near Hampton which might provide an answer. [end letter]
    Can anyone here provide a clue? I have Googled, to no avail.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Sorry for a really simple question, but can you give some more information on the location? Is it a town called Hampton, and if so in what state? Also, were you looking east or west from the highway?
    As above, so below

Nearing midnight, and the sun had set 90 minutes earlier? Even June 21, nothernmost I-35 in Minnesota, that sunset seems late.

More detail? The description is confusing. How many light events are being described? 2011? 2017?
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Sunset on the 21 June was 9:03 pm, and it takes a while for it to get dark so that is not that far off. The only farm I could find online in the area us sod farm, there biggest pest is probably deer and after checking for lights to keep deer away I found there is a company that makes such a product.
    http://www.niteguard.com/animal/deer-deterrent
    That could be what you saw that night.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I am a little confused, Buttercup. Why are you referencing a 2011 article for your recent trip. Are you saying you saw the same thing now or that you are looking for an explanation for something you saw 6 years ago? But you also say that this is from a letter referencing an article? What was the original article, then?

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Oh! Sorry for the confusion I created.

Nearing Hampton, Iowa. Traveling north. Red lights to our right (east).

Right ... can't be 90 minutes from sunset at midnight! This is current Des Moines area sunset time https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/usa/des-moines (8:52 pm CST). We saw the red lights near Hampton, Iowa, near midnight on June 21. Hampton is 94.1 miles north of Des Moines.

I referenced the 2011 article because it mentions "mysterious red lights."

Are you saying you saw the same thing now
    It's a coincidence which caught my attention.

But you also say that this is from a letter referencing an article? What was the original article, then?
    I wrote a letter (to Mr. Johnson of The Globe Gazette; he wrote the 2011 article) after reading two articles. One is this:

http://globegazette.com/news/local/s...cc4c002e0.html

It sounds "woo woo" - sorry (you asked, ha ha).

The other concerned red lights on wind turbines, but I cannot find it again. But these lights could not be on wind turbines (low to the ground, us looking DOWN at them; the field they were in is probably 10 feet lower than the highway whereas wind turbines have 212 feet-high towers).

I'm just really curious as to what these red lights were! They covered a large area of open field, in a rigid grid-like pattern (think score marks on a ham).
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2017-Jun-29 at 03:24 PM.

Which points more and more to astrotimer's Nite Guard lights.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Could still be some kind of animal repelling system but I think have me on ignore because of that stupid joke.

What's the location where you were driving? Can you pick LAT/LONG? How far away from the highway were the lights? Yards? Mile?

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Installation Instructions for Deer .... Really!? Couldn't even find how humans should install it. Confusing instructions.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Farmers use all kinds of things to scare off animals. One of my neighbors about 20 years ago used a device that let off a boom every once and while to sound like a gun to scare off pests.

Farmers use all kinds of things to scare off animals. One of my neighbors about 20 years ago used a device that let off a boom every once and while to sound like a gun to scare off pests.
    Yup. Got those here in the Niagara vineyards.

I know they put deer deterrent reflector near roads, but usually just a few. I can certainly see them deployed through out a field of crops that the deer are fond of.

Could still be some kind of animal repelling system but I think have me on ignore because of that stupid joke.
    I don't have you on ignore.

[QUOTE=slang;2411998]What's the location where you were driving? Can you pick LAT/LONG? How far away from the highway were the lights? Yards? Mile?

Latitude 42.742501, Longitude -93.210340.

I guesstimate the distance away from our vehicle to be 1/3 mile.

Sunset on the 21 June was 9:03 pm, and it takes a while for it to get dark so that is not that far off. The only farm I could find online in the area us sod farm, there biggest pest is probably deer and after checking for lights to keep deer away I found there is a company that makes such a product.
    (Coming back to thread after lunch)...

But these lights were spaced very close together. Also one half were twice as high as the other half. And they couldn't be mounted to trees; it'd take posts or poles at least, which I can't imagine would be set up in a crop field (if crops and not pasture; but nearly all of the "open land" in this area of Iowa is for crops; and would have to take down again in order to harvest crops later). I'm referencing scores of lights forming a grid.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2017-Jun-29 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't have you on ignore.
    Nice to know.

(Coming back to thread after lunch)...

But these lights were spaced very close together. Also one half were twice as high as the other half. And they couldn't be mounted to trees; it'd take posts or poles at least, which I can't imagine would be set up in a crop field (if crops and not pasture; but nearly all of the "open land" in this area of Iowa is for crops; and would have to take down again in order to harvest crops later). I'm referencing scores of lights forming a grid.
    Vould be a security grid, the could be something nearby someone does not want anything in there.

The two tier lights can be because of two different pests like rabbits and deer and what is planted there. Plus some people are very cautious about the activities others. We have a neighbor who has orange flags all down her property line.

Vould be a security grid, the could be something nearby someone does not want anything in there.
    That could be.

Unfortunately I'm not certain I saw that area again in broad daylight, on returning home (southbound on I-35).

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    What's the location where you were driving? Can you pick LAT/LONG?
    Latitude 42.742501, Longitude -93.210340.
    Odd, that's inside the city itself, nowhere near that interstate you mentioned.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Odd, that's inside the city itself, nowhere near that interstate you mentioned.
    Well...I can't give precise coordinates on that field. It was very near Hampton, though.

Buttercup have you tried to google map that area? It may shed some light on the field and if there's anything manmade there such as windmills, solar panels, or a gridlike structure related to agriculture or such. Of course another way to see if the lights are again present is to revisit the site at the same time of evening during similar weather conditions.

Something similar once happened to me years ago.

There were several red lights. Some low dark clouds resembled hills rising above the lights--looking like terrain. A woman saw them and wondered what they were. Her husband said it was the interstate. A man in an ice cream truck solved it, I think.

They were lights from Huey helicopters in formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Buttercup have you tried to google map that area? It may shed some light on the field and if there's anything manmade there such as windmills, solar panels, or a gridlike structure related to agriculture or such. Of course another way to see if the lights are again present is to revisit the site at the same time of evening during similar weather conditions.
    I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

June 14 2019 I saw those lights about midnight, south of I-80 just west of Des Moines , Iowa. That's how I ended up on here. Has anyone found out what this is?

Nothing new
    http://emmetsburgnews.com/page/conte....html?nav=5001

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Those need to be placed on the side of the road in areas where deer cross--activated by car headlights to scatter them before you get close--motion sensor controlled.

This year--its blue lights
    https://www.kcci.com/article/what-is...mains/27196038