Thread: Salvation [spoilers]

Salvation [spoilers]

Well, well, well. So we meet again.

We're working with our science adviser, who's Phil Plait, the Bad Astronomer. And he's been helping us try to craft the science so it's realistic.
    http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusi...ights-premiere

The show had its premier this past Wednesday, so it may be a bit early, but it looks interesting. There are several characters who are sympathetic, so you can get invested in their situation.

Yes, the science is realistic (Can't blow it up with nukes 'cause, the pieces.) if admittedly accelerated (A gravity tug would need more than six months to be effective.). We'll see if it lasts.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    We'll see if it lasts.
    I'm reminded of The Last Ship which would have made a good, limited series, but instead, it just kept going on, and on until I lost interest...

I have a feeling that is what will happen, here.

...so, I "predict" that they will succeed in diverting the asteroid until next season, when it will undoubtedly return
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

well they say it will take 186 days to reach Earth so some episodes might only represent a day in the plan. Did a little write up on my blog about it.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I predict the season ends after the first 90 days or so, leaving room for a second season. There will be a cliff-hanger of sorts.

What I would prefer is to show multiple groups working on multiple options - moon base, Mars base, orbit Earth and return after time, move underground, and of course the asteroid worshipers. Then end the the show with the collision and with no second season.

I don't see that as even a remote possibility though, since a second season will be determined strictly by how profitable the first is, and not by whether or not it makes sense.
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

Well, subsequent seasons could follow the adventures of the survivors on the moon, in the Dr. Strangelove caves, in orbit, whatever. I haven't watched the show but might tune in now.

I missed the first episode so will try to catch it on demand. If it's not a spoiler may I ask just how big is this asteroid?

I'm not sure they give an actual size, just big enough to destroy the planet.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

With 186 days to reach Earth--a gravity tractor just won't cut it.
    http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=35148

If the producers follow the 24 model the show could last for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    With 186 days to reach Earth--a gravity tractor just won't cut it.
    http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=35148
    The idea already has been shelved because the rocket they were going to use blew up, if the writer of the blog finished watching the episode he would of realized that.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Liz: There is a bigger conspiracy at play that we're going to find out about that in some ways... I don't want to say larger than an asteroid ... but it's got wide-reaching implications in the story and it's a very interesting analysis of geopolitical considerations. Let's put it that way.

Craig: Without saying to much the center of the story becomes a bit like a Cuban missile crisis. And [stuff] could get out of hand real fast and we might end up killing ourselves before the asteroid ever gets here.

Okay, so you have something bigger than an asteroid crashing into the world.

Craig: There is something bigger.
    It's all Phil's phault!!

Another problem from the blog Publiusr posted is that there would a whole legal international treaty issue. There are suppose to be no weapons in space, I know this will be broken someday but do you want to start a nuclear war while you dealing with an asteroid impact.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Another problem from the blog Publiusr posted is that there would a whole legal international treaty issue. There are suppose to be no weapons in space, I know this will be broken someday but do you want to start a nuclear war while you dealing with an asteroid impact.
    Attack the asteroid, then apologize.

Everyone knows the drill. It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
    Last edited by 01101001; 2017-Jul-14 at 09:11 PM.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    ATM is so 20th Century.

Could someone add a spoilers warning to the thread title, please? Thanks. :-)

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Could someone add a spoilers warning to the thread title, please? Thanks. :-)

CJSF
    Done.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Started watching it, Loved the concept.......... my excitement has waned quickly though due to the utterly boring cast of characters and their interpersonal relationship drama.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Started watching it, Loved the concept.......... my excitement has waned quickly though due to the utterly boring cast of characters and their interpersonal relationship drama.
    But without all that added filler, you'd only have a short miniseries. I'm sure the producers considered the options, and concluded that the most money would be made if the series was dragged out as far as possible.
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

Have watched the first 2 episodes and not too thrilled with the weak unsound plot. Have to wonder if the "bad guys" behind the scenes want to keep it secret because of public panic or if they want it to hit the earth for population control?

I actually like the idea. Should a season not work out for some reason, they can simply overlay the text "Day 186" on an image of a massive impact. It does neatly tie up all those loose ends.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

I finally made time to watch the pilot episode tonight. I'm a little disappointed. The usual complete mischaracterization of how security clearances and satellite surveillance work. The premise is wholly unbelievable. Even *IF* faux Musk guy (Tanz?) convinced the government, there is NO WAY to ramp up his human ark technology in barely 6 months. Or a gravity tractor for a SEVEN MILE DIAMETER (or was it 7 km?) asteroid that close. The thing would be visible to thousands of professional and amateur astronomers. I DVR'd this show partly based on the fact that Phil Plait is a science advisor, but they violated just about every premise about this situation I've ever read or heard from him. I hope this is just another case of "pilot episode issues" and it gets better from here.

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2017-Aug-04 at 03:21 AM.

lonelybirder.org

In the pilot they mention that someone discovered before the guy found it by detecting the shifts in gravitational attraction, NASA was keeping it under wraps.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    In the pilot they mention that someone discovered before the guy found it by detecting the shifts in gravitational attraction, NASA was keeping it under wraps.
    Yes. Which is wholly unbelievable and incredibly improbable. And the closer it gets, the less probable. There are thousands - many thousands - of people watching and tracking various solar system objects.

And it gives the general audience (yet another) skewed and biased notion of how things work in science and government. I was hoping for more, so maybe I just need to lower some expectations a notch and get into the story. Hopefully things get less predictable and more intriguing.

CJSF

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

lonelybirder.org

Key points to remember when watching a TV show like this is that a lot of stuff gets distorted to keep people involved. Like compressing the time on most stuff to make it seem more dramatic. About the numbers of people searching for asteroids, I think your numbers might be a little off, their might be millions of non professionals but only a small number of them probably have a setup that could probably find one. I can think off the top of my head of only one in the maritimes and his day job is an observatory director*. There aren't many professional astronomers I think in US it is probably under 10.000 and many of them are interested and other sub fields, like exo planets,computational, stars, galaxies, etc. The minor planet center at Harvard that keeps track of these bodies only has a handful of employees. Phils job is mostly keep them from using terms like neutron star colliding into the moon or trying to blowup the comet with a crack team of oil rig drillers. In reality We would probably find the comet far enough time for to use the gravity tracker. What we should do is have a number of satellites ready to act as gravity trackers in place throughout the solar system in case an asteroid appears to hitting the Earth, One good thing about the series it will expose more people to concepts and they can understand what scientist want to do when they go to the government for the funds.

* his training was in computer science and he actually programmed the telescope to be used thru twitter.
    (If he ever sees this he probably going to correct me a thousands times over.)
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I think I missed an episode, can't remember the theft part.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I too have been watching this show. Yes, I've noticed many problems with it, but compared to the garbage that rules TV these days, it's pretty watchable; as long as you turn off your brain and ignore the obvious errors from time to time. This is something that we have to do in order to enjoy almost anything on TV and films.

The biggest problem in my opinion, is that only the US seems to know about this asteroid and it's only six months away from impact. Also, I don't think it's possible to watch NASA try and crash a science satellite in orbit around Jupiter into the asteroid in real time. There didn't seem to be any communications lag at all. I also highly doubt that the impact would have much affect in defecting the asteroid enough to make a difference, but I could be wrong. I don't recall Deep Impact having much effect, other than a bunch of dust being thrown up and a very small and hard to see crater where the impact took place. I think a much bigger impact would probably be needed or maybe a large nuclear blast near the asteroid's surface that pushes the rock a bit, but doesn't blast it into pieces.

I did find the Musk/Tanz character and his company interesting. I am still waiting for his electric cars, solar panel project, and hyper train to make an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
    ... Also, I don't think it's possible to watch NASA try and crash a science satellite in orbit around Jupiter into the asteroid in real time. There didn't seem to be any communications lag at all. ...
    Yeah, that was bothersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
    ... I also highly doubt that the impact would have much affect in defecting the asteroid enough to make a difference, but I could be wrong. ...
    The impactor was supposed to shatter the asteroid and alter the course of the pieces enough to bring them down in NE Asia, with only about a billion killed.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Hope they're not off by 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

The impactor was supposed to shatter the asteroid and alter the course of the pieces enough to bring them down in NE Asia, with only about a billion killed.
    Yeah, I do remember that, but I thought even that would be impossible. I recall the actors saying some formula at some point, relating to the amount of energy released by the impact of the science satellite and the expected movement of the asteroid. I figured it was probably something that they put in there, that was not real. I'm a science lover, but it's not my profession. It just didn't seem to me that a satellite like that could do that. Maybe something especially built for that type of mission but not a satellite that happened to be in the area. Like I said, I could be wrong. Not my expertise. It would be interesting to know if it were actually possible like the show said.

I got to say, that one depressing espact of the show is the way that World Governments are behaving. I think that there would be more cooperation with a big rock heading our way.

Also, I thought since the name of the show is Salvation, it may be that while we are playing around with war games, the asteroid actually hits and there is at least a partial extinction event. But Musk, I mean Tanz, manages to send off his spaceship in time to save the human race. Then the story changes over to the survival of those people. By the way, I hope Tanz has more people working to build that large spaceship then we saw. It seemed mostly built, but that hanger looked pretty empty of workers.