View Poll Results: Does matter have to cross the EH to become part of the BH?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 50.00%
  • No

6 50.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does matter have to cross the event horizon to become part of the black hole?

Actually, the term ''hitting a brick wall'' came from a physicist in a science article I read recently who discussed this in reference to the theory that the inside of black holes are removed

. I believe it was an article on fire walls. I will find it if I can. I have a damn good memory.

I can't find it just now, you may just have to cope with what I have given you. I can honestly say, I have encountered the theory a few times in the past.

Ah I think I found it: https://physics.aps.org/articles/v6/115

''New theoretical work rekindles the question on whether black holes have an interior: Would a firewall destroy any observer crossing a black hole horizon?''

''- There have been a number of intriguing ideas over the years hinting at the possibility that a black hole might not have an inside, that it might ..''

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...-event-horizon

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbelosix View Post
    Ah I think I found it: https://physics.aps.org/articles/v6/115

''New theoretical work rekindles the question on whether black holes have an interior: Would a firewall destroy any observer crossing a black hole horizon?''
    Thanks. So a firewall rather than a brick wall.

What's the big difference? The point is the interior of the black hole is removed, you wanted more information, I delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbelosix View Post
    What's the big difference? The point is the interior of the black hole is removed, you wanted more information, I delivered.
    No big deal. I would have just been fascinated to see a model where it acts as a solid barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    No big deal. I would have just been fascinated to see a model where it acts as a solid barrier.
    Call me stupid, but that is exactly what I took from those articles. In a firewall article, it specifically said physicists where exploring an older theory that the black hole has no interior. He even likened the firewall impossibility to like hitting a wall in space.

Of course, it could be just a matter of bad publication, to be honest, I don't have a working knowledge of fire walls. All I knew was that there were models that did once consider that the interior of black holes did not exist. It just so happens that mention of this was in a fire wall article.