Thread: Can i use iphone reverse camera to watch eclipse in real time?

Can i use iphone reverse camera to watch eclipse in real time?

Like a selfie, but sun instead of self, so i'm not looking directly at the sun.

Would it be too bright to not see anything on the phone in southeast US?

Clearly it would be safe, because the screen itself could never put out enough light to damage your eyes. The problem is what you would see. My impression is that iPhone lenses take very wide photos, so the sun is going to be tiny in the shot, unless you have a telephoto lens or something like that.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Clearly it would be safe, because the screen itself could never put out enough light to damage your eyes. The problem is what you would see. My impression is that iPhone lenses take very wide photos, so the sun is going to be tiny in the shot, unless you have a telephoto lens or something like that.
    To say nothing of what will happen to the iPhone canera. If you try this, be very careful of yourself, and the phone. I have pictues of the transit of Venus taken through appropriate filters with an iPhone 4S. The rule is simple; use a good purpose made filter to keep the damaging radiation out of your eyes and the camera.

A pinhole projector sounds like a much safer idea for your eyes and electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    A pinhole projector sounds like a much safer idea for your eyes and electronics.
    True. Neat idea. Our shop has an endless supply of cardboard boxes; if I can knock togethelr a pinhoe before the eclipse, and test it on the Sun, we'll see how it works. Thanks, Kai
    Last edited by John Mendenhall; 2017-Aug-15 at 11:37 PM. Reason: ridiculous typo

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    But those screens can be quite reflective.

You can get clamps that hold your phone to the eyepiece of a telescope. I'll be using one with a Celestron "Eclipse-smart" telescope.