Thread: Eyes of Neptune

Eyes of Neptune

I created this futuristic hypertelescope for the OAUP. It was built from the in situ resources of Neptune's Trojans. If my calculations are correct, it has the baseline for resolution to make desk globes of planets in M31 and street maps of exoplanets in the Solar Neighborhood. However, I am not sure about the light gathering ability...anyone have comments on that?
    Personally, I think we will have this or an equivalent by the end of the next century (2200). And if you doubt this, imagine asking John Herschel in 1834 what resources would be available to astronomical science in 2017.

You might provide some of the relevant technical details here so people don't have to look up what the acronym stands for and then search for the article.
    Selden

Well, I wrote the article and I was not proficient enough to calculate the required collecting area for such observations.
    And OAUP stands for Orion Arm Universe Project.
    And to make it even easier (I thought I had linked this, I must have forgotten, sorry) http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/564e2f6599744

Why is this post in this forum? Isn't this for actual equipment and observations with it? Put his fiction in "Small Media at Large"!

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Why is this post in this forum? Isn't this for actual equipment and observations with it? Put his fiction in "Small Media at Large"!

CJSF
    Sorry, I thought this forum was for any astronomical equipment, actual or hypothetical (this might be the first time I posted here, because I am not an equipment type).
    If I was mistaken, please move.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Sorry, I thought this forum was for any astronomical equipment, actual or hypothetical (this might be the first time I posted here, because I am not an equipment type).
    If I was mistaken, please move.
    As an editor and illustrator for Orion's Arm, I'm happy to see this moved to Small Media at Large; I would also be happy to see any discussion about the resolution of such an array, and the technical difficulties such a long baseline array would have. Tom, or I, could then reflect the results of this discussion in the article.

Incidentally I based the image for that article on the design for the James Webb telescope, although this may not be the optimum design for that location.

I thought it was fictional, not an actual concept. Carry on however you want; I've got other things to worry about.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

yeah, it's fictional, in the sense there is not (yet) an actual project to build it. As I said, I thought this was for any conceptual telescope. I would be fine with moving it, after all, sometimes it's hard to know the right forum for something.

I'm in the process of updating this article now, as well as the one on the much larger and equally fictional Argus Array (a thousand light years across). We've been trying to figure out the maximum theoretical resolution for very large interferometers, but we've come up with some very different answers. What would be the resolution of an optical interferometer telecope array, with a baseline of 51 AU (the distance between the Trojan points of Neptune), and the resolution of an interferometer 1000 light years wide? We'll forget the light gathering capacity for now.