Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Orville [potential spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I don't think it was meant that literally. In the Orville society (not the one from that episode), you don't get a better or worse coffee based on your reputation.

By "currency" that meant something more like "social standing" or "reputation". Your perceived value.
    I know, my point is that reputation doesn't appear to have any difference, evidenced by the poor behavior of many of the crew of the Orville. Moreover, if it had any affect on the trajectory of their career or life, then the planet with the rating system wouldn't have seemed so alien to them. It would only be a difference of degree from the Orville's Laissez Faire informal reputation system and the alien's strict totalitarian democratic system. Although there might be a difference, as I seem to recall the alien system was separate from their currency system, (and they didn't have replicator technology that might otherwise alter their economics).
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

I got the feeling they were talking about what an individual added to society as providing "currency." So, someone with an IQ of 200 who dug ditches was less valued - and rewarded - than someone with an IQ of 120 who could repair a warp drive. Lamar had the ability to accomplish more as an engineer than he was as a helmsman.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I believe that tonite is the first seasons last episode, maybe they'll introduce a new zany helmsman to the crew?

Well, no new helmsman but just a 3 second sub scene at the controls. The Orville really is poking a stick at religion lately with the advanced Krill believing that they have their god's given right to be masters of the universe, while last night's episode was more along the lines of what might be considered "normal" for advanced civilizations to eventually grow out of their religious concepts.

I think they are being a bit too heavy-handed with the religion is bad (or obsolete) theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I think they are being a bit too heavy-handed with the religion is bad (or obsolete) theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This IS Seth MacFarlane we're talking about here...

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

So, when is the captain going to start wrestling with a chicken?
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Ever seen Star Trek: TNG's "Who Watches the Watchers"?
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

The original ST series also touched on the topic (very carefully) where ancient supercomputers which controlled an unknowing civilization were worshiped and obeyed like a god.....well, at least before Kirk and Spock out smarted them.

Considering all of the computers that Kirk brought down, he must be like the Bogeyman to a computer. I always felt the the perfect ending to "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" would have had Kirk discovering that the alien was actually a computer, and doing his thing to it. That and the pain scene would have made ST5 TV episode-like movie.

David.

Not perfect, but overall a very good episode. They concentrated on a good plot and interesting second plot. They had some humor, but it pretty much served the story rather than just going for a cheap laugh.

More like this, please.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Just saw Seth MacFarlane pop up in a minor role in Enterprise. (Has that been mentioned in this thread? I forget).

He seems to have had the ST bug for a while. It was an episode directed by LeVar Burton.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Just saw Seth MacFarlane pop up in a minor role in Enterprise. (Has that been mentioned in this thread? I forget).

He seems to have had the ST bug for a while. It was an episode directed by LeVar Burton.
    He has had the space bug for a while I think. When Cosmos was redone a few years ago he was one of the producers. He also donated a lot of money to the library of congress to preserve Carl Sagans notes. He got Patrick Stewart to be a regular on of his shows and Contact.

One cameo I recently heard of in Voyager was the now King of Jordan, a none speaking role. He was on a tour one day and they said would you like to be in Star Trek and he of course said, yes.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

After doing some Orville news surfing it appears that season 2 won't start airing until this Sept at the earliest.

Which is fine because there is new series of Cosmos coming out too in 2019.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Not that I recall and I, for one, didn't know or remember that.
    There is even a Youtube clip.

Watching Family Guy, that's apparent. There are a lot of Star Trek and Star Wars references.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

He popped up again last night (S4E15 "Affliction"), more words, bigger role.

It was actually a little annoying because he was on the Columbia and much of the episode was about Trip going from Enterprise to Columbia; and here's this recognisable - to the viewer, but not to Trip - Ensign who also seems to have popped over. Kind of took away from the impact of the intended plot.

May be over thinking it.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    I liked the social media based episode. The too-stupid-to-live actions of the navigator which set the plot in motion actually got called out with Admiral Canada spitting tacks about it. The concept of pure democracy was quite poignant too.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    I liked the social media based episode. The too-stupid-to-live actions of the navigator which set the plot in motion actually got called out with Admiral Canada spitting tacks about it. The concept of pure democracy was quite poignant too.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I liked it too.