Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The Orville [potential spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Oh good god no. Seth MacFarlane is terrible at that and indeed at anything dramatic. He is the weakest part of the show. Kill him off and put Grayson in the captain's chair.
    I disagree. I like MacFarlane, both as creator/writer and actor.

I don't mind Mercer at all. I like that he's equal parts inept and competent, depending.

I find the bridge looks odd with the two chairs (Captain's and First Officer's) side by side on that riser. It looks like a throne room.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

nyuk, everything is odd on that show, could explain why I like it. Crew ok, plots watchable, just satire, or something. Glad that Mr. External Esophagus guy did not return.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Glad that Mr. External Esophagus guy did not return.
    Wicked!

(isn't that what he says?)
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Ha, yeah, his one word line at the start of each show. They can drop that too it'd and be fine with me.

Actually it’s “*****in.”

The character is played by Patrick Wharburton who I first saw in Men In Black 2 as J’s soon to be neuralized partner.

ETA: And it looks like the board software won’t let me write the word. Harrumph.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Actually it’s “*****in.”

The character is played by Patrick Wharburton who I first saw in Men In Black 2 as J’s soon to be neuralized partner.
    He played Puddy” on Seinfeld.
    Also known for doing National Car Rental ads... not Avis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Ah-Ha, thought that voice sounded familiar......yes, "wicked" sounded close but no cigar.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I don't mind Mercer at all. I like that he's equal parts inept and competent, depending.

I find the bridge looks odd with the two chairs (Captain's and First Officer's) side by side on that riser. It looks like a throne room.

CJSF
    The thing is that MacFarlane as a voice talent is one of the greats. But that doesn't translate into on screen presence. There is a discord between saying that he and his ship are not the finest in the fleet to permit goofball humour while also writing stories that are too heavily leaning on the TNG which was about the finest ship in the fleet.

I find the bridge set odd too, especially seeing Mercer and Grayson sitting in those chairs. It makes me think that this is the best set ever built by a teenage fanboy is his parents' garage. Let's face it, the show is made for about $25 per episode.

ETA: And it looks like the board software won’t let me write the word. Harrumph.
    No, there is no problem writing the word "Harrumph", as you have demonstrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    The thing is that MacFarlane as a voice talent is one of the greats. But that doesn't translate into on screen presence. There is a discord between saying that he and his ship are not the finest in the fleet to permit goofball humour while also writing stories that are too heavily leaning on the TNG which was about the finest ship in the fleet.

I find the bridge set odd too, especially seeing Mercer and Grayson sitting in those chairs. It makes me think that this is the best set ever built by a teenage fanboy is his parents' garage. Let's face it, the show is made for about $25 per episode.
    I almost completely disagree on everything (MacFarlane does have a nice voice).

I like Mercer's damaged, human hero character. I loved ST:NG, but sometimes Picard was a little too perfect.

Yeah, sometimes the humor gets a little too low brow and goofball for me, but I kind of expect it and it isn't a huge negative.

I don't really understand the complaints about the special effects or the Bridge set. I think the effects are pretty good for TV. The one set that I find disappointing is Engineering. OK, it is infinitely better than the brewery of Star Trek (The Reboot), but it kind of doesn't look like anything. You need that blend of computer controls and machinery doing something; it lacks the machinery aspect.

I'm still not warmed up to the new security officer. I liked the dichotomy of Alara's somewhat frail if determined persona coupled with the ability to knock down walls. Talla comes off as tougher, more capable, which doesn't work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I'm still not warmed up to the new security officer. I liked the dichotomy of Alara's somewhat frail if determined persona coupled with the ability to knock down walls. Talla comes off as tougher, more capable, which doesn't work as well.
    I agree. But I guess that's the best stop-gap measure they could do with Halston Sage leaving the show. I still haven't seen any "official" reasoning for that (has anyone else?). Talla is a good character, but she comes off as just a bit lacking.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

I agree. But I guess that's the best stop-gap measure they could do with Halston Sage leaving the show. I still haven't seen any "official" reasoning for that (has anyone else?). Talla is a good character, but she comes off as just a bit lacking.

CJSF
    I'll third that. Maybe she'll get better.

I agree. But I guess that's the best stop-gap measure they could do with Halston Sage leaving the show.
    They didn't have to replace her with another Xelayan, unless Sage's departure caught them so off-guard that they figured they didn't have time to rewrite scripts.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    They didn't have to replace her with another Xelayan, unless Sage's departure caught them so off-guard that they figured they didn't have time to rewrite scripts.
    That seems to be possible, based on what I read, but Jessica Szohr was announced as upcoming cast a couple of months before Sage's announced departure (if I recall correctly). Still could have been unexpected, though. Just not public.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

CJSF
    The episode where she befriends the Moclan I think was supposed to give some more emotion context for her character ("humanize" her, for lack of a better word), and get the audience to like her more, but it really didn't succeed with that for me.

Well, that was... filler... (last night's episode).

I'm not sure if it made me like Gordon more or less.

And no, the subtext about our lives "today" was not lost on me. It wasn't a "bad" episode, just. Filler.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

I see they followed the standard STTNG formula of a main plot and a peripherally-related sub-plot.
    Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

I found the main story line was "meh", but liked the twist where everything changed when the old boyfriend was removed from the simulation.

BTW: It was really hard to suspend my disbelief that future archeologists would let the Orville's crew fiddle with a time capsule from (whenever) ago.

And another guest ST actor.

(Archeologist nee Vulcan security officer?)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

I have just caught up with this episode - it was pleasant enough without being memorable. I bet museums would love to know how all those artifacts in the Time Capsule managed to be so perfectly preserved and crisp after 400 years.

It was nice to see 'Tuvok' join the list of actors from Star Trek to get a fun little cameo. .

The jab at tobacco addition was pretty funny.

Just got around to seeing the most recent episode. I like how they are channeling the original Trek, and are attempting to address current social issues - unlike Trek, they admit that solutions aren’t easy.

Again, the execution could be improved, but overall, I liked it.

That said, Kelly’s body count keeps rising. Sooner or later, she’ll have some ‘splaining to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that this was the third story this season to focus on Moclan culture or characters. Three and a half if you include the rapid smoking addiction in Lasting Impressions.

And yeah, Kelly has a happy trigger finger. No mention of "stun" settings on the weapons.

Interesting that this was the third story this season to focus on Moclan culture or characters.
    And addictions in general.

Does it seem too axe-grindy to anyone else? Can’t the writers think of much else besides LGBT-metaphors, “religion can be toxic”, and such like to base serious-narratives on? Trek did all of those, but not that much.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Does it seem too axe-grindy to anyone else? Can’t the writers think of much else besides LGBT-metaphors, “religion can be toxic”, and such like to base serious-narratives on? Trek did all of those, but not that much.
    And with a deft touch.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    You should watch Discovery to get away from all this SJW nonsense.

I'm being ironic of course. There is a certain strand of Internet that complains that Discovery sucks because Star Trek has been hijacked by SJW's and that The Orville is the true successor to Trek. It is bizarre because Discovery very lacking on the heavy handed progressive messaging while The Orville is does do proper old school Trek style in your face allegories. In that sense The Orville is more like a true standard bearer for Star Trek because because it is fully of SJW stuff.

Perhaps some of it is because The Orville does it via a white man (MacFarlane) and fart jokes, while Discovery seems overtly diverse. Speculation, on my part, because I refuse to pay (another) subscription fees to watch Discovery.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org