Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville [potential spoilers]

The Orville [potential spoilers]

I'm kind of surprised there is no thread on this.... well, here we go.

This is the new SF-comedy on Fox, with creator and star Seth MacFarlane.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I watched the first episode, a semi hokey comedy, will watch again. My least fav character so far is the captain.

I had a post on the show in the What Are You Watching thread, repeated here, and added to:

We watched The Orville Sunday night on-demand. I got a few snorts and chuckles out of it. The previews for the new episodes almost makes it look like a serious sci-fi adventure.

I need to re-watch the show but I think there are more than a few homages to other sci-fi shows; such as one fellow in a brief appearance who looks a lot like the David McCallum character in The Sixth Finger episode from the original Outer Limits series.

I saw the first episode.

The special effects are terrific. Certainly as good as a lot of serious science fiction.

I thought the first episode was OK. Of course, a lot of it is just to introduce the characters and set the stage. It was mildly entertaining and mildly funny at times.

I'll certainly watch episode 2... I hope it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    <snip>
    I need to re-watch the show but I think there are more than a few homages to other sci-fi shows
    Yeah, it is interesting to see what they might have imitated from other SF, and what they didn't.

Their FTL seems a lot like warp drive (I think they called it Quantum Drive or something like that). The weapons are some sort of energy weapons (pulsed, not continuous) and they have deflectors. A lot of the staffing is similar to Star Trek (navigator, helm, science/engineering, medical, security, first and second officers). Even seem to have color-coded uniforms. They apparently don't have a transporter and the star ship is not for use in the atmosphere.

They have "The Union" instead of "The Federation".

Alara, the security officer, is apparently "Supergirl", except she grew up on a planet with higher gravity instead of a different colored star. She can even leap tall buildings in a single bound.
    Last edited by Swift; 2017-Sep-15 at 08:26 PM.

Irma managed to wipe out any chance of seeing the premiere or the re-premiere of the first episode. I'm going to have to find it on fox.com to stream it. They DO have it available (or will), right? I hope it's worth the effort.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I wonder how many episodes will go by before Captain Mercer entertains the Orvilles with classical music in 10-Forwar...er, I mean the crew lounge. You know: Sinatra, Martin, Darrin, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I wonder how many episodes will go by before Captain Mercer entertains the Orvilles with classical music in 10-Forwar...er, I mean the crew lounge. You know: Sinatra, Martin, Darrin, etc.

Or we have Family Guy style flashbacks.

Oh, one cute little thing.... Captain Mercer had a little model of the Wright Flyer on his desk.

Best Trek pilot I've seen--better than Farpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    I watched the first episode, a semi hokey comedy, will watch again. My least fav character so far is the captain.
    I didn't mind the captain. The interactions between the Captain and the first officers were kinda annoying tho. It seemed so forced/unnatural, and quite predictable (but I guess that is too be expected out of a pilot episode).

Decent show anyways... gonna replace the hole left by Game of Thrones for a while.
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

I'm reserving judgement for a few episodes. The pilot rarely gives the feel for a show, as they are so busy introducing the characters and premise.

I will say that that it appears they spent a considerable amount of money on production.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Not really a comedy, not really a drama, but not bad entertainment. We'll see where they take it.

Everything is so clean and bright!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I saw the premiere this evening. I enjoyed it, overall. The bathroom jokes were a little disappointing (but not unexpected). The show really doesn't need them. I thought it was clever and funny without them. But I don't hold out much hope on that front. If they keep that sort of thing to a minimum, I think I'll stick with it. Here's to hoping.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

The second episodes ending, we&#39;ve doomed another race.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Well, dang. I forgot to get the DVR set up right for it, so I'll have to catch episode 2 online too. I do have the rest of the season set up, so that's good at least.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

Don't worry you probably of just gotten a football game.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Not really a comedy, not really a drama, but not bad entertainment. We'll see where they take it.

Seems more like a dark-humor type comedy. Second episode was solid, not the best show, but decent.
    I guess each episode will follow the story of a crew member + the Captain and First Officer... at-least for the first season.

A shame it got moved to Thursdays from Sunday. Maybe not that many people are tuning in.
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

It's definitely a spoof of the Treks, it defies logic and would give Spock a Vulcan migraine.

I'd rather it be on Thursdays through Football season. That's what helped kill Futurama's original run, it being preempted by football so often (although it had multiple schedule changes that didn't help either, if I remember right).

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

20. 2017-Sep-18, 03:02 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I'd rather it be on Thursdays through Football season. That's what helped kill Futurama's original run, it being preempted by football so often (although it had multiple schedule changes that didn't help either, if I remember right).

CJSF
    In fairness to Fox, the game was delayed due to weather. Fox has an "OT" half hour following late games (4pm ET start) so the game can run long and still not mess up the evening's regular schedule. CBS does not.

I set my DVR to record The Simpsons +15 minutes to catch the conclusion of The Orville, and still missed the very end. It's available On Demand, but you can't fast forward, so I'll have to find an hour when I can do something else until the very end. Unless someone wants to TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED after she got the blue sapphire.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Unless someone wants to TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED after she got the blue sapphire.
    Do you mean what she traded for the release of the captain and 1st officer? You won't like it, the stuff that Vulcan migraines are made of.....

eta....and the source of many human migraines as well.
    Last edited by Spacedude; 2017-Sep-19 at 02:32 PM.

We only have one TV in the house, and it was being used by a higher priority person. So, I tried watching The Orville on the computer. It just kept displaying the Fox logo for their main feed, but worked fine for FX and such. I now suspect the football game was being blacked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post

CJSF

Anyone remember MacGyver?

...or was that only a west coast thing?
    Last edited by R.A.F.; 2017-Sep-19 at 03:48 PM. Reason: fixed code...
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

In fairness to Fox, the game was delayed due to weather. Fox has an "OT" half hour following late games (4pm ET start) so the game can run long and still not mess up the evening's regular schedule. CBS does not.

I set my DVR to record The Simpsons +15 minutes to catch the conclusion of The Orville, and still missed the very end. It's available On Demand, but you can't fast forward, so I'll have to find an hour when I can do something else until the very end. Unless someone wants to TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED after she got the blue sapphire.
    Only real housewives would get it.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Do you mean what she traded for the release of the captain and 1st officer? You won't like it, the stuff that Vulcan migraines are made of.....

That was probably the funniest moment of the show at our house. The Wife had been groaning and shaking her head for pretty much the entire show up to that point. But because she watches all of the "real housewives" shows and a few others, it was my turn to shake my head at her. See, they really do belong in a zoo.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Solid Episode (3), definitely not a Comedy show / Family Guy in Space like I initially thought.
    Last edited by Mareykan; 2017-Sep-22 at 02:06 AM.

Actually, this episode seemed much like the original Star Trek. Definitely not what I was expecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's my Orville Tech Manual and ship recognition chart?

Agree on all points.

Except I think they crippled Seth's creativity. I think that's lame it and will be its doom.
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2017-Sep-23 at 02:17 AM.

OK, yeah. That made my face break out in a big grin.