Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Orville [potential spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    That is how I see a lot shows from the future, but they could have kept out the friends reference in the last episode as far as I concerned.
    What, you don't like Easter eggs?

Whose friends were they referencing?

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Whose friends were they referencing?

CJSF
    Harrumph...

https://www.wbstudiotour.com/central-perk-cafe-friends

Oh, Capital-F friends. I think I watched 2/3 of an episode and was like, "nope." and haven't watched anything related since.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

That is how I see a lot shows from the future, but they could have kept out the friends reference in the last episode as far as I concerned.
    Actually, I thought that was kind of cute. I think that is going to be a lot of Seth MacFarlane's humor in this series, these little culturally winks.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Previous Star Trek series, as well as other science fiction shows, often included references we would understand plus some added ones presumably referring to future (to us) events and people.
    Heck, that isn't even just a science fiction thing.

There was a light opera company in New York I used to see regularly when I lived there. They did a lot of Gilbert and Sullivan operas, which were full of cultural references to the events of the day (Victorian England). Some opera companies would leave the original references, and you'd just have to be "in the know" to get them. This company would update them. For example, a song about constables from the Pirates of Penzance, instead of referencing the head of Scotland Yard in 1880, would reference the then current head of the police department in New York.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Ok, The Orville is growing on me, it better...I ain't paying for the new Discovery/Trek series. I like the comedy in bits, just so long they keep the solutions to their weekly dilemma a bit on reasonable side......Kardashian tapes, really? Though I see potential here.

Episode 4(?) is pretty unexpected... series has severely surpassed my expectation.
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

I like the ep.

But one complaint. A big one. Because, of all things that Seth had to get right...

If any nerd who ever was a nerd, dreamed of getting rich, and actually getting a chance to produce their own sci-fi show, let alone star in it, the one thing every nerd would do - must do, for all the nerds that went before ... is insist that the physics wasn't mind-bogglingly stupid. "Oh no, the star's gravity has caught us and is pulling us iiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnn..."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    I like the ep.

But one complaint. A big one. Because, of all things that Seth had to get right...

If any nerd who ever was a nerd, dreamed of getting rich, and actually getting a chance to produce their own sci-fi show, let alone star in it, the one thing every nerd would do - must do, for all the nerds that went before ... is insist that the physics wasn't mind-bogglingly stupid. "Oh no, the star's gravity has caught us and is pulling us iiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnn..."
    Yes, I said almost the exact same thing! Only to my cats, who were with me.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory

lonelybirder.org

I gotta get a cat.

To talk to.

thankfully the ship does not have any foot controls.

Maybe we should send JJ Abrams to Seth for scifi writing.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

... If any nerd who ever was a nerd, dreamed of getting rich, and actually getting a chance to produce their own sci-fi show, let alone star in it, the one thing every nerd would do - must do, for all the nerds that went before ... is insist that the physics wasn't mind-bogglingly stupid. "Oh no, the star's gravity has caught us and is pulling us iiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnn..."
    Just saw 5. That annoyed me, yeah, but worst (for me) was the destruction of the wormhole now making it not be there in the future so the time travelling woman disappears because she'd never have come back to the past, yet the Orville is still there, not destroyed in the dark matter storm.

(Futurama gets time travel much more consistent.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

Then the Orville wouldn't be there to destroy the wormhole, she would exist and they would be back at the wormhole.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Yep.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

remember it is wibly wimey timey wimey.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I'm stoked that they have guest stars the caliber of Charlize Theron.

I'm just happy that Comcast now lets me fast forward through the adverts. Don't know why that changed but thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I wonder how many episodes will go by before Captain Mercer entertains the Orvilles with classical music in 10-Forwar...er, I mean the crew lounge. You know: Sinatra, Martin, Darrin, etc.
    I thought episode 5 was going to crack the ice when Mercer is hosting a crew get-together in his quarters. The intro shot from outside the Orville had some jazzy piano music in the background and I was expecting a cut to Captain Ed at the keyboard. But it wasn't to be.

Then the Orville wouldn't be there to destroy the wormhole, she would exist and they would be back at the wormhole.
    I didn't even mind that. They have the right to mess with science-fictiony science.
    What disappointed me was the grade-school attention to plain ol' physics - when the shuttle got lassoed by the star's gravity, like the star flipped a switch on. Don't thy know their fanbase is probably mostly nerds?

Maybe they are making fun of that from other series or movies.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

We may have had our own little time loop.

Malloy probably break a leg a lot in upcoming episodes I think.

Plus, their god is called hertz.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I liked the Hertz joke...

I loved the subtle foreshadowing in this episode. The season finally will definetly have the Krill destroying/attacking Earth since the kid knows the location of Earth.
    "The only one who knows this ounce of words is just a token, is he who has a tongue to tell that must remain unspoken"

Liked the latest episode (Krill infiltration), but found it hard to ignore how utterly implausible it was.

Even with the gadget that changed their appearance, even with the idea that everybody speaks English, the idea that two "spies" could infiltrate the vessel and almost the worst thing is that they have "odd" (to the Krill) is names? The episode highlighted how little was known of the Krill! The spies would have been sedated and heading for an asylum before the day was out.

I imagine cold-war US and USSR spies, each given the clothes and accents of the other side, but given no training in the culture or social interactions of the other side, and each sent into an enemy warship. How long before they were in the two brigs? And that's with two people from the same Planet.

I have to remind myself it's a comedy too, not hard science fiction, and just roll with it.

Did like the last words of the Krill woman/teacher. There were some interesting themes in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Liked the latest episode (Krill infiltration), but found it hard to ignore how utterly implausible it was.

Even with the gadget that changed their appearance, even with the idea that everybody speaks English, the idea that two "spies" could infiltrate the vessel and almost the worst thing is that they have "odd" (to the Krill) is names? The episode highlighted how little was known of the Krill! The spies would have been sedated and heading for an asylum before the day was out.

I imagine cold-war US and USSR spies, each given the clothes and accents of the other side, but given no training in the culture or social interactions of the other side, and each sent into an enemy warship. How long before they were in the two brigs? And that's with two people from the same Planet.

I have to remind myself it's a comedy too, not hard science fiction, and just roll with it.

Did like the last words of the Krill woman/teacher. There were some interesting themes in the show.
    I took the whole blending-in thing as tongue-in-cheek. They didn't even try. "Oh hey there. How's to goin'?"

But I did think they really glossed over the whole speaking English thing. Harder to roll with that one.

Then again, they're deliberately poking fun at Star Trek.

Best line in that last episode (paraphrasing here) : "OOOWWW!!! That's My New Leg!"

I took the whole blending-in thing as tongue-in-cheek. They didn't even try. "Oh hey there. How's to goin'?"

But I did think they really glossed over the whole speaking English thing. Harder to roll with that one.

Then again, they're deliberately poking fun at Star Trek.
    Yes, totally. They were going for the comedy in the fish-out-of-water awkwardness, rather than the specific "realistic" effects of that. It's why I wrote "I have to remind myself it's a comedy too, not hard science fiction, and just roll with it.". Just find that a little hard when it's not a 100% comedy. If every second line was supposed to be a joke, sit-com style, it'd be easier for me - but as it is there's a slightly jarring cognitive dissonance (if I used the term correctly) between the soft-sci-fi and the played-for-comedy bits.

But I don't mean any of that too strongly. I'm liking it a lot and aim to keep watching. (And the mechanism I'm watching by means I'm subjected to advertising, so I'm "helping" pay for it).

The Star Trek thing is interesting as I'm (especially now I've dumped my satellite TV service) working my way through Next Generation on Netflix. The comparisons are right in my face. Some of the posts above made me laugh, as last nights episode (S4(E5?)) had Riker playing a trombone in the lounge.

Yes, totally. They were going for the comedy in the fish-out-of-water awkwardness, rather than the specific "realistic" effects of that. ...
    But it could have been done much, much better. They force the comedy rather than letting it happen, and keep going when they should stop. And it actually seems to be primarily one character, who had the worst and best lines/gags in the episode. Just dial it back a notch, notch-and-a-half (This is the mind behind Family Guy and their Star Wars episodes have been very good.)

... (And the mechanism I'm watching by means I'm subjected to advertising, so I'm "helping" pay for it). ...
    Me, too. It's called "commercial television."

I'll stick with it a bit longer. Maybe they'll find a way to bring Charlize Theron back.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Uhhhh...maybe you need to try harder?

Their god is Avis.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Uhhhh...maybe you need to try harder?

Their god is Avis.

The Krill god is called Avis.

Mallory told them that the human god is called Hertz.