Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Orville [potential spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by glom View Post
    you should watch discovery to get away from all this sjw nonsense.

I'm being ironic of course. There is a certain strand of internet that complains that discovery sucks because star trek has been hijacked by sjw's and that the orville is the true successor to trek. It is bizarre because discovery very lacking on the heavy handed progressive messaging while the orville is does do proper old school trek style in your face allegories. In that sense the orville is more like a true standard bearer for star trek because because it is fully of sjw stuff.
    SJw?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Social justice warrior, had to look it up myself. Not going to make a comment do not want to stir up a hornets nest.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Social justice warrior, had to look it up myself. Not going to make a comment do not want to stir up a hornets nest.
    I'm sure there will be a hornet's nest of grammar nazis descending upon me for my terrible proofing.

I stir up all those hornets nest all the time.

And a couple more Trek alumni.

Marina Sirtis looks quite different with lighter hair and no Betazoid contact lenses.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Does it seem too axe-grindy to anyone else? Can’t the writers think of much else besides LGBT-metaphors, “religion can be toxic”, and such like to base serious-narratives on? Trek did all of those, but not that much.
    I would like to see more story topics. I liked the introduced threat from the robots, and how that’s changing the political dynamics. I would like to see more expansion on that and more exploration episodes. One Moclan focused episode was fine, two in the same season was a bit much, and with three it feels like they’re having trouble thinking of story ideas.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post

Marina Sirtis looks quite different with lighter hair and no Betazoid contact lenses
    If you’re counting ST regulars, there was Marina Sirtis and Jonathan Frakes as director. But they also had F. Murray Abraham, Ron Canada and Tony Todd.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/F._Murray_Abraham

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tony_Todd

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ron_Canada

I had a chuckle seeing them all.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

So the Moclan have the best weapons, that's a new twist. Another dance with Issac's creators coming up?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post

Marina Sirtis looks quite different with lighter hair and no Betazoid contact lenses.
    It’s also been seventeen years since she was last Deanna Troi (and 25+ since TNG). Sirtis is sixty-four now—looking pretty good.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    It’s also been seventeen years since she was last Deanna Troi (and 25+ since TNG). Sirtis is sixty-four now—looking pretty good.
    Fourteen years - last episode of "Enterprise" in 2005. And, yes, she's still an attractive woman.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Tonight's was another character study, of a sort, but with an attempt to make it more interesting. I liked the twist of bringing the person through time vs. the crew travelling to the past. All implausibilities aside (as one does with time travel episodes). But the "impossible" ringed planet was ... a thing. And the Kaylons not being able to find a huge metallic anomaly in the rings on ring fragment was a stretch. But I didn't mind the episode as a whole.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Interesting twist in the end, did young Kelly (or past Kelly, ha) remember everything?

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Tonight's was another character study, of a sort, but with an attempt to make it more interesting. I liked the twist of bringing the person through time vs. the crew travelling to the past.
    I thought Adrianne Palicki (Kelly) did a great job of acting like a 7-years-younger Kelly.

And wow, they blew out their CGI budget on this ep - partly the seamless compositing of her twice in the same scene (including a great 360), but also the slimming down of her figure. She had boys' hips - and obligatory thigh gap.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    I thought Adrianne Palicki (Kelly) did a great job of acting like a 7-years-younger Kelly.

And wow, they blew out their CGI budget on this ep - partly the seamless compositing of her twice in the same scene (including a great 360), but also the slimming down of her figure. She had boys' hips - and obligatory thigh gap.
    I thought that was mainly wardrobe choice. She did do a good job of it.

I hope the subtle ending wasn't a clue that we're going to be in some The Orville version of the Mirror Universe down the road. The Mirror Universe was mildly interesting in Star Trek, but got downright annoying by DS9 and Enterprise. I skip most of those eps as fillers.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post

I wondered about that, and also if they went overboard or let the CGI get away from them. There was a scene with young Kelly walking down a hallway and her ankles and lower legs were extremely thin, very much out of proportion to the rest of her body. In a later scene her legs look normal.

And young Kelly may be back sooner than anyone might expect. I'm pretty sure I saw her again - very briefly - in the preview for the final episode next week.

New timeline? She really remembered but has been holding back, even knowing about the infidelity and divorce?

ETA: And based on the title of next week's episode, and summary, I'm guessing Kelly's decision to reject Mercer is leading to a bad day in Orville world.

The Road Not Taken
    The crew must contend with the disastrous fallout from Kelly's decision.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2019-Apr-19 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post

New timeline? She really remembered but has been holding back, even knowing about the infidelity and divorce?
    I think maybe it's more subconscious or an echo of a memory that's led her to make a different decision.. a "gut feeling" as it were.

I also think the montage of scenes they showed are from all (or many) episodes from this season, including ones that have already aired.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

Their entire relationship changed the fate the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Their entire relationship changed the fate the Union.
    I get that they had to fit this in 42-ish minutes, but I felt like everyone - especially Mercer and Gordon - were a bit too credulous about the entire thing. This episode was fun, and there was a definite Star Wars vibe to it, particularly a flight through a way too dense asteroid field. Twice.

CJSF

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

The Orville [potential spoilers]

I wonder if the character Yaphit is a nod to the actor Yaphet Kotto, who played the engineer “Parker” in the original Alien movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2019-Apr-26 at 06:38 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I too enjoyed it - of course there are always the quibbles about time travel. As long as it only happens, very occasionally I am fine with it. The rest of the show was fun.

However, to continue the 'Star Wars vibe' I did note that the Kaylons in the opening encounter on the snowy planet were graduates of the Imperial Stormtrooper's marksmanship academy.

And the Kaylons not being able to find a huge metallic anomaly in the rings on ring fragment was a stretch.
    Yeah, the Kaylons be like "Visible light sensors are da bomb. We laugh at the so-called 'advanced' sensors of inferior races."

The back story of Kelly rounding up the old crew may have been more interesting than the denouement. Longer to tell of course.

Hiding inside an event horizon?

(And, time travel sucks. (But not as much as black holes?))
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Hiding inside an event horizon?
    Yeah I really groaned at that one. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, treating your audience like they are completely ignorant is another.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Yeah I really groaned at that one. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, treating your audience like they are completely ignorant is another.
    To be fair, most/many are, and not as a judgement. They really just don't know.

But I will add, that when you're talking about warp-type drives, you could invoke all manner of "new" physics since you're essentially playing with mass and layers of space (i.e., subspace), so who knows how that would work inside an event horizon.

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2019-Apr-28 at 10:28 PM.

I'll be haunting you."

lonelybirder.org

To be fair, most/many are, and not as a judgement. They really just don't know.

But I will add, that when you're talking about warp-type drives, you could invoke all manner of "new" physics since you're essentially playing with mass and layers of space (i.e., subspace), so who knows how that would work inside an event horizon.

CJSF
    Sure, they have warp drive so they can tell stories across the Galaxy. That's a suspension of disbelief commonly (not always) needed for science fiction. But if it's too easy to just say (in effect) "because magic", then there's no framework to hang a plot on, no consistency of scenario. You could watch any episode and know they can just invent physics out of their hat to resolve the plot points. For me, the dramatic tension decreases, and, I get to groan like ronin did.

Here, they didn't even invent any techno-babble to explain it. It was like an event horizon was hardly a thing at all.

I was OK with the covering with ice to evade detection thing (reminds me of the covering-with-mud from Predator, which myth busters busted, but is close enough to believable not to mess up the movie for me), but the black hole remains an issue for me.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Sure, they have warp drive so they can tell stories across the Galaxy. That's a suspension of disbelief commonly (not always) needed for science fiction. But if it's too easy to just say (in effect) "because magic", then there's no framework to hang a plot on, no consistency of scenario. You could watch any episode and know they can just invent physics out of their hat to resolve the plot points. For me, the dramatic tension decreases, and, I get to groan like ronin did.
    I think I can count on one hand the number of episodes that actually required a spaceship as the setting, never mind needing any science for the plot.

More than any predecessor, this is a dramedy - that happens to be set in space.

That's not a complaint; I think they're doing a fine job.
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2019-Apr-29 at 02:32 PM.