Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery (potential spoilers)

Star Trek Discovery (potential spoilers)

I'm a little surprised there's no thread on the newest generation - or maybe regeneration - of the Trek universe. The trailer looks quite interesting with revamped Klingons and a character POV that isn't white male. But I'm a bit dismayed that the show will premier on CBS over its general broadcast and cable outlets but then will be available only through the CBS streaming service - which costs $6 a month. Ehhhh......

Well, I wish them luck.

ETA: Whoops, missed it. Look here for older thread.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2017-Sep-16 at 03:06 PM.

Yeah that was a cruel way to tease the audience with one freebee episode, humbug. Maybe the subscription rate will be low enough to make CBS put the entire series or at least the reruns on the TV network.

Blame CEO Jim Lanzone, who said: "the sci-fi series wouldn’t cut it on cable."

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/15/star...t-tv-says-cbs/

I really hate businessmen...

If it were a really well done sci-fi series it would have a better chance of making it on cable.....heck, if sharknado can have endless sequels....

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Blame CEO Jim Lanzone, who said: "the sci-fi series wouldn’t cut it on cable."

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/15/star...t-tv-says-cbs/

I really hate businessmen...
    What a strange thing to say in a time when there seem to be more and more sci-fi and fantasy shows on TV every day.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    . . . and a character POV that isn't white male.
    Uhura, Sulu, La Forge, Yar, Crusher, Worf, Pulaski, Troi, Laren, Sisko, Dax, Nerys, Janeway, Torres, Kim, Tuvok, Kes, Chakotay, Seven of Nine . . .

Star Trek, celebrating 50 years of ignoring women and the non-white.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Star Trek Discovery (potential spoilers)

Well I meant in the lead role and not limited to Trek. Although yes, Trek certainly pushed the envelope - the kiss between Kirk and Uhura was a big deal at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

watched it, thought it was ok, didn't really like it...first let me say I'm a casual Trek fan, I would know the orginal series, watched a lot of Voyager when it was on tv, know TNG, DS9 and the new and old movies...but I wouldn't really call myself a 'Trekkie' alough I am very familiar with Trek

read some interviews from writers, producers, directos and now like it even less

the good...Star Tek needs to be on tv, it is one of those enduring things and media items of pop importance and cultural value, say like Gone withe the Wind, Spider-Man, the Beatles, Sherlock Holmes and many other products from Western Civilisation, I beleieve Trek and its message to be of special importance and Star Trek has its unqiue value of inspring many people in science, commenting on social ideas, giving ideas to other science fiction and franchises, it is good to have it back on tv

the bad...the writing, its poor and I don't know if the actos or actress are adding much that wasn't done better in other shows, something feels kinda forced in the opening episode(s)

the Ugly...this is not Trek, the mood is too dark, it has no humor, no jokes, I have now gone online and seen interviews from the makers who compared the Klingons to perhaps muslims or perhaps Trump supporters...I guess this is the age of 24/7 tv, youtube and twitter, where directors troll to get attention, people act like the Drunken The Tourettes Guy for free media advertisement or they Isolate and 'Alienate' half their audience....excuse the pun! I know some great scifi movies and action and drama did great political commentary over the decades past but here these messages feel misplaced, do we really, really need more TV that drags election politics somewhere he doesnít belong and would this just feel like lazy writing from writers who already have run dry on ideas and have no new scifi contribution? What I liked about the original Trek it was great and in its own universe and when it did poltiics it did it right and respectful, is Gene was kinda agnostic, secular or atheist and didn't bash people with politics or religious messagues, this Trek also has too much War, straight into Star Wars and the Klingons look weird fish face, crocdile frog heads...unnecessary cost to make up, CGI and Fx to change an alien face that did not need changing.

It may get a second season but if no changes are made it will be canceled soon after

Reading across the blogs, twitters, forums...it seems there are better Treks out there, some respect the whole canon continuity and some of them fan made by the Trekkie community themselves. Prelude to Axanar but the lawyers and CBS and Paramount want it shutdown, it stared Richard Hatch, Tony Todd, Kate Vernon, J. G. Hertzler
    , Gary Graham and had some notable people in film and editing...a worth watch if you want to see something different.

...or you also have a huge choice of others shows like Dark Matter, the Expanse, 12 Monkeys, Marvels the Punisher, Fargo, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Xfiles, Mr Robot, Orville, Twin Peaks etc etc

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Wasn't Star Trek VI a great movie? I've just rewatched it. I like the Klingons in it. Cultured warriors rather than their better known portrayal as feral beasts.

In Star Trek Discovery, they're nosferatu demons. I think the makeup was getting in the way of the actors being able to actually deliver lines. It was kind of painful to watch.

Gorgeous design though. This is the best looking Trek.

Shame Michelle Yeoh was a guest star. She was my favourite part. I'd much prefer to have her be the star.

I did appreciate a new take on a character with a human being raised by Vulcans.

We'll have to see how this plays out. It was good enough to get me to watch the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    "the sci-fi series wouldnít cut it on cable."
    Apropos of nothing, what is 'cable' that is distinct from not cable?
    And how does it make a difference in the content?

I ask naively, because I see no distinction on my TV guide. They're all just channels to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Apropos of nothing, what is 'cable' that is distinct from not cable? And how does it make a difference in the content? I ask naively, because I see no distinction on my TV guide. They're all just channels to me.
    That's a good question, especially when you look at the comment above from Lanzone who is in charge of CBS streaming services.

A lot of content from CBS, ABC and NBC, among others, is still available over digital broadcast channels. This enables viewers to avoid cable or satellite transmission methods and associated costs as was done in the golden days of analog TV. But in this case I believe Lanzone was using the terms "cable" and "broadcast" interchangeably, and comparing those legacy mass-market delivery methods with streaming services such as the ones offered by CBS, Amazon, Netflix or Hulu. He also apparently holds the opinion that the new Star Trek would get lost in the broadcast/cable content swamp. That's certainly debatable.

Content producers, such as the ones mentioned above, have their own streaming services as a way to control content revenue through subscriber fees and expanded advertising options. So including a new show which may be very popular with a specific fan base is a way to attract or capture subscribers to the new CBS streaming service and its incremental costs. Whether that plan works....we'll see.

So far, more than one million users have subscribed to the paid site and shell out $6 a month to watch exclusive content from the network. Star Trek: Discovery will be one of the site’s flagship series when it debuts next year alongside a spin-off of The Good Wife.
    The article quoted above also points out that the on-demand streaming service enables CBS to avoid a lot of the traditional censorship that its broadcast/cable content must follow. Imagine, a nude Captain Kirk or Scotty cussing like the proverbial sailor. So there's one big difference between the streaming capability vs. waiting for an episode to appear on Tuesday night at 8 pm on cable channel 805.

Apropos of nothing, what is 'cable' that is distinct from not cable?
    And how does it make a difference in the content?

I ask naively, because I see no distinction on my TV guide. They're all just channels to me.
    See also schlaugh's response, but in the US, a major distinction arises because by law the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) has no power to regulate the content of non-broadcast media, such as cable. Doesn't mean the FCC hasn't attempted to do so but some of their rules have been struck down by the US Supreme Court on that basis.

So Starfleet has become Weyland-Yutani?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Imagine, a nude Captain Kirk or Scotty cussing like the proverbial sailor.
    You made me imagine contemporary William Shatner naked and now you owe me brain bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by Launch window View Post
    <snip>

the Ugly...this is not Trek, the mood is too dark, it has no humor, no jokes,
    I've only watched bits and pieces online (not a full episode), but that is exactly my impression. It is very dark, visually and by mood and characters. It reminds me in no way of Star Trek (even the JJ Abrams reboots seem more Star Trek, though only relatively). And it certainly feels in no way that it comes between ST:Enterprise and ST:TOS.

If they wanted to tell this particular story, they could have taken it outside of the Star Trek universe and just told it as an independent story line, and then there would be no problems in style or continuity. But then they wouldn't have the marketing advantage of the Star Trek name. Plugging ST in front of it makes it a safe bet, in the eyes of studio and TV executives.

Frankly, I think The Orville feels more like ST:TOS than ST: Discovery.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Saw episode 4 i think but missed 2 and 3. I don't get the spore drive at all. Why did they have to re-imagine the klingons they would of just fought to fight, they did not need the religious stuff. I wish they did a series based off of the fan promo Axanar.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Why did they have to re-imagine the klingons...
    There are two obligatory tropes in the Star Trek universe.

1] All races in the galaxy are indistinguishable from humans except for their foreheads.
    2] Klingons change every ten years like clockwork.
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2017-Oct-11 at 08:41 PM.

1) There were aliens - even in TOS - that were not huamn-ish or even humanoid, but most did fit this trope.
    2) I loved the DS9 episode where they went back in time to the TOS tribble incident and Worf tried to explain the difference.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Actually, Worf *refuses* to explain, and only says it is something they do not discuss with outsiders. It's in the Enterprise series where we see what lead to the elimination of the forehead ridges among some Klingons, with the augment virus outbreak. Admittedly, the retcon is still a bit iffy, but that's what happens with long-running franchises.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Actually, Worf *refuses* to explain, and only says it is something they do not discuss with outsiders. ...
    Exactly. Michael Dorn played the scene beautifully. He expressed his discomfort - even embarrassment - at the question with body language and vocal inflection while maintaining the gruff Klingon exterior.

(Y'know, I had quotes around "explain" at first, then deleted them. Shoulda left them.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Exactly. Michael Dorn played the scene beautifully. He expressed his discomfort - even embarrassment - at the question with body language and vocal inflection while maintaining the gruff Klingon exterior.
    Yes, absolutely. It's one of my favorite Trek moments.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I wish they would just have the Klingons speak English. They actors sound really pained to get the dialogue out. It's nails on chalkboard for me.

Did anyone else have subtitles in the final scene after Whitey was abandoned on the Shenzhou with his love interest? They was lots of Klingonese but no subtitles for me.

The tone very much seems like the Enterprise-C timeline. Every is gruff and war weary in a way they never were in Deep Space Nine. The war has only been going on for six months.

And Commander Tori is clearly descended from Vincent Dinofrio in Jurassic World with wreckless stupidity to the point of gross negligence around dangerous beasts.

Harcourt Fenton Mudd.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

I actually liked the episode. The last two have shown some of the creative spirit and thinking your way out of the situation of star trek.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Meanwhile, over in BizarroWorld, Federation Officers drop the F-bomb.

I'm gettin' kinda tired of the Kumbaya over the Tardigrade. Dew-eyes are spreading like a virus through the crew.

So, the Klingons have figured out that Discovery is your secret weapon, and are trying to learn all they can about it. Clearly, your smartest move at this point would be to send Discovery itself out to locate those specific Klingons and go right to them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Meanwhile, over in BizarroWorld, Federation Officers drop the F-bomb.
    We haven't let our son watch this series, because of the producers talking about how being on streaming would allow them "freedoms" they wouldn't have on broadcast TV.

We specifically sent him away last night before we started watching this episode. When the f-bombs came out, my wife just said, "And there it is."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    So, the Klingons have figured out that Discovery is your secret weapon, and are trying to learn all they can about it. Clearly, your smartest move at this point would be to send Discovery itself out to locate those specific Klingons and go right to them.
    Yeah. I noticed that too.

Wow. Game-changing technology? And only one in existence? Let's send it into conflict with the enemy. Alone.

F bombs on Star Trek? ............Foton Torpedoes?