Thread: Super seeing in back yard

Super seeing in back yard

As I write this I am enjoying superb seeing with my battered old Celestron 8 in my back yard. Pi Aquilae, just north of Altair, is cleanly split with classic Airy disks with just the slightest shimmering of the ring around the disk. Total magnitude about 6.2, nearly equal, separation about 1.4". I think I could have resolved 0.7, maybe a little tighter, had there been a suitable pair in sight. This telescope survived a fall of 4 feet onto a concrete slab with only a dent on the edge of the corrector cell. Nothing broke, and it needed only a slight touch-up of the secondary collimation. Celestron built them rugged back in 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    As I write this I am enjoying superb seeing with my battered old Celestron 8 in my back yard. Pi Aquilae, just north of Altair, is cleanly split with classic Airy disks with just the slightest shimmering of the ring around the disk. Total magnitude about 6.2, nearly equal, separation about 1.4". I think I could have resolved 0.7, maybe a little tighter, had there been a suitable pair in sight. This telescope survived a fall of 4 feet onto a concrete slab with only a dent on the edge of the corrector cell. Nothing broke, and it needed only a slight touch-up of the secondary collimation. Celestron built them rugged back in 1976.
    I did a follow-up earlier tonight on Eta Coronae Borealis. The seeing was not as good as last time, but I got fleeting moments of a good Airy disk. I could see some elongation, and I confirmed it by comparing it with another star of about the same brightness and a degree away. The position angle was in good agreement with Stellarium, and the published separation of 0.62" is right at Dawes' limit for an 8-inch scope. That speaks well for the optical quality of this battered old warhorse.