Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain Swoop, Is The British Navy THAT Short Handed? They Forgave This Guy!

Captain Swoop, Is The British Navy THAT Short Handed? They Forgave This Guy!

Accident weapons discharge, dummy torpedo, while IN PORT.

Sailor responsible gets counseling so his future performance won't be impacted by a lack of confidence.

How about a lack of a job?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/462770...g-maintenance/

I saw something different happen when our sister squadron fired three rounds of 20mm down the length of the flightdeck during a weapons check.

That wasn't even in port.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

One time I had a boot that seemed to think making it through boot camp made him an expert on the Navy.

So, one the word was passed, "Stand clear of main deck starboard while firing air slugs." I called the boot over and said "Do you know what that last word means?" Of course he said "Yeah, sure, of course!" So I told him it was M Division's day to be on the working party. "What working party?" "Air slug retrieval. Now you just volunteered based on your extensive knowledge. So go up and stand by the boat davits on the port side and wait for them to call away the working party."

He nearly missed supper waiting for them to pass the word.

Now I do know about people having unique or hard to come by skills being given passes on things.

I knew a one armed, fully active duty enlisted Marine.

He was a savant who single handedly rewrote the interior electronics of the E-2 Hawkeye at the time. Lost his left arm in a test lab when he made contact between two separate high powered/high frequency radar components.

It went "poof".

General Electric hired lawyers to get him out of his enlistment early and they couldn't do it!

I would think that the grief he got from the 'Jimmy' aboard ship would be far worse than anything the court of inquiry gave him.

We nearly lost a helicopter overboard when it was being moved in to the hanger. Once when taking up a fixed buoy mooring someone knocked out the wrong slip on the fox'l and sent the hook down instead of the cleared chain. Missed the buoy monkey by inches.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Now I do know about people having unique or hard to come by skills being given passes on things.

I knew a one armed, fully active duty enlisted Marine.

He was a savant who single handedly rewrote the interior electronics of the E-2 Hawkeye at the time. Lost his left arm in a test lab when he made contact between two separate high powered/high frequency radar components.

It went "poof".

General Electric hired lawyers to get him out of his enlistment early and they couldn't do it!
    You could of asked him to keep an eye out for a yellow finned snipe for the Captain.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Rhysling View Post
    One time I had a boot that seemed to think making it through boot camp made him an expert on the Navy.

So, one the word was passed, "Stand clear of main deck starboard while firing air slugs." I called the boot over and said "Do you know what that last word means?" Of course he said "Yeah, sure, of course!" So I told him it was M Division's day to be on the working party. "What working party?" "Air slug retrieval. Now you just volunteered based on your extensive knowledge. So go up and stand by the boat davits on the port side and wait for them to call away the working party."

I did not understand any of that.

[ EDIT ] Oh OK, now I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    I would think that the grief he got from the 'Jimmy' aboard ship would be far worse than anything the court of inquiry gave him.

We nearly lost a helicopter overboard when it was being moved in to the hanger. Once when taking up a fixed buoy mooring someone knocked out the wrong slip on the fox'l and sent the hook down instead of the cleared chain. Missed the buoy monkey by inches.
    Man, you reminded me of two separate very bad days.

Hmmm, that is all.

I'm still waiting for BigDon's Sea Stories -- The Book. I've read Grant's Scottish "Mountains" ones.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

From what I have seen BigDon post in this forum about his service aboard an aircraft carrier, I would compare him favorably with C. S. Forester and Rear Admiral Dan Gallery.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Worthy of Quiller Couch too, I came across one audio file of one of his military stories on the plane yesterday.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

He's really more of a Black Adder.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Worthy of Quiller Couch too, I came across one audio file of one of his military stories on the plane yesterday.
    Hmmm.
    Whenever you feel an impulse to perpetrate a piece of exceptionally fine writing, obey it—whole-heartedly—and delete it before sending your manuscript to press. Murder your darlings.

Arthur Quiller-Couch, On The Art Of Writing (1916)
    Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    I did not understand any of that.
    I believe fox'l = fo'c'sle. That should help.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm still waiting for BigDon's Sea Stories -- The Book. I've read Grant's Scottish "Mountains" ones.
    You know I made that stuff up, right?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You know I made that stuff up, right?

Grant Hutchison
    Sea Stories that was made up. Didn't see that coming.

Chief, I think they're referring to my sea story thread https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...The-Flightdeck

That I posted some years ago and Dr. Grant's book on mountain hiking in Scotland that he had printed some time ago. Dr. Grant is a published author don't you know. Physician, author, throw in rock star and crime fighter and he'd be Buckaroo Banzai.

Oh, Chief Rhysling,

My foster son was quick to point out something had completely forgotten about making CPO.

"Not only did I make Chief, I got into the Chief's Mess as well!"

I forgot that wasn't automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Oh, Chief Rhysling,

My foster son was quick to point out something had completely forgotten about making CPO.

"Not only did I make Chief, I got into the Chief's Mess as well!"

I forgot that wasn't automatic.
    Yep. It's a club. In fact all the mess cooks have them handy. Just in case, you know what I mean.

What was the outcome, did the search party conclude the slugs vanished into thin air? Did they have to fly in new stock by air freight?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    What was the outcome, did the search party conclude the slugs vanished into thin air? Did they have to fly in new stock by air freight?
    Ah, you know the Navy then. It was a running joke for a while, he'd be summoned to the machine shop to pick up more slugs, that kind of thing. He took it all in good humor.

I read naval historical fiction, set in the period from 200 to 250 years ago. Apparently nothing has changed.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I read naval historical fiction, set in the period from 200 to 250 years ago. Apparently nothing has changed.
    Yep. I was sitting on the mess deck one day and a guy was telling about his adventures in Olongapo. Gradually every body raised one arm over their head. He looked confused and said, "What's that for?"

"To save our wristwatches, it's too late for our shoes."

I also work on ships. The new guy always has to go fetch a bucket of waypoints or other thing that is not a physical object. Or he has to call the repeater to the bridge, or any other thing that is not a person.

On Tuesday it's your turn in the barrel.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I also work on ships. The new guy always has to go fetch a bucket of waypoints or other thing that is not a physical object. Or he has to call the repeater to the bridge, or any other thing that is not a person.
    Batteries for the sound-powered phones.
    Hundred yards of shore-line.
    Bucket of steam. (Only if it's uncondensed.)
    Black-out lights.
    Bilge detergent.
    Camel fodder.

It's customary in hospitals to send a naive newbie to another ward for a Long Stand.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It's customary in hospitals to send a naive newbie to another ward for a Long Stand.

Grant Hutchison
    During her medical training a certain who is asleep in another room was sent to the pet shop to buy a Heart monitor.

Hundred yards of shore-line.
    And when the newbie returns with the message that they're all out of shore-line, tell him that water-line will do as well. Keel-line would be fine as well, but that will be hard to reach as everything's stacked on top of it.

Batteries for the sound-powered phones.

Bucket of steam. (Only if it's uncondensed.)
    They did that on Pawn stars one time and he came back with some dry ice in a bucket.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    They did that on Pawn stars one time and he came back with some dry ice in a bucket.
    Best response I got was "It's in there, it's just superheated." (Superheated steam doesn't "fog".)