Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Marketing Spin

The one pushing their steel bodies, Chevrolet, is also changing over to aluminum IIRC.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Aluminum is lighter and would probably give better fuel economy.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Aluminum is lighter and would probably give better fuel economy.
    The latter seems deprecated by some. U

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    I've wondered about that one. I have tried to look up what it means when something is "clinically proven" to work but all I get are ads for diet pills.
    The claim is normally just plain false. It's the Federal Trade Commission's job to stop false claims, but there are too many out there for an agency that size to get them all, the process for each case they do pick up takes time during which the claims are allowed to continue, and the fine is usually less than what the company making the false claims has already profited by the time they get stopped. And on top of that, the company is then still allowed to run mostly the same campaign just with that one specific claim removed, which really perpetuates the claim in consumers' minds because by then the link is established and they just need to be reminded of what they've already heard before.

(I think it was right here at this forum that I saw somebody ask several years ago why the Smilin' Bob commercials were still on if the company behind them had been found guilty of making a false claim. The transition, from earlier commercials that actually said Smilin' Bob's life was so much better because he'd taken the right penis enlargement pills, to later commercials that simply kept saying his life was so much better because he'd taken the right pills without actually specifying exactly what the pills had done that had had this effect on his life, was so seamless that some viewers thought they were still making the original claim about penis enlargement.)

With pseudo-medicinal claims, it's worse than for other kinds of products, because the relevant regulations only apply to drugs, not to things that aren't drugs. If it's called a "supplement" or "herbal remedy" (or something else even farther off like cosmetics or hygiene products), then that classification puts it outside the FDA's jurisdiction, where there's almost no restriction on what they can say. The only way to get the FDA's attention then is to make a claim that's so medical-sounding that they're essentially selling their product as a drug anyway.

Marketing Spin

I’m working in a Costco this week and the store just put up a new Star Wars display for a BB8 toy robot and “Battle Band” (worn on the wrist). One of the toy’s options is “Combat Training Mode”. The line beneath says: “*Use your imagination to wield a light saber or a blaster!”

And in amazingly tiny type in the display:
    *Light saber and blaster toy not included”

Seriously??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2018-Apr-11 at 03:31 PM.

What else are they selling, rainbows and deep thoughts?

Maybe this is the opposite of marketing spin, but my current can of shave cream is a brand called Noxema.

Naming any product “nox...” sounds like a bad idea to me. Sounds too much like “noxious”.

Of course, I could be wrong. The brand name has apparently been around for over a hundred years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noxzema

The formula for Noxzema was invented by Francis J. Townsend, a doctor who lived in Ocean City, Maryland. The formula was called "Townsend R22" and referred to commonly as "no-eczema".[2] Townsend prescribed it as a remedy to early resort vacationers burned by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Naming any product “nox...” sounds like a bad idea to me. Sounds too much like “noxious”.
    There is (or was) a local barbershop here called "The Rustic Razor". "Rustic" is just a little too close to "rusty" for me, and I don't want anyone shaving me with a rusty razor.

There's also a restaurant called "Sickie's", which doesn't exactly draw me in, either.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Logging that info, in case I ever find myself on “Jeopardy!”

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    There is (or was) a local barbershop here called "The Rustic Razor". "Rustic" is just a little too close to "rusty" for me, and I don't want anyone shaving me with a rusty razor.

There's also a restaurant called "Sickie's", which doesn't exactly draw me in, either.
    Long ago I decided that if I ever formed a water distribution company, I'd have to come up with a proper name for it. I wouldn't be able to do what so many people do and name their prized achievement after themselves.

I get the feeling that 'Brown Water, Inc.' just won't perform very well in the marketplace.

He put Noxema on sunburn!?

The man deserves to be treated with his own medicine! I used it and Clearasil through out my teens to prevent acne. That, and an unfortunate case of severe bacterial pneumonia as a sophomore in high school* meant I came through puberty relatively unpocked.

Don't put Noxema on a sun burn! It will burn like hell!

Anyway, why I came here. A local organic food concern got a little carried away with their buzz words when they proudly announced their sale of "whole grain popcorn" in a recent commercial. I LOL'ed immediately on hearing that.

*Seems taking more than two full grams a day of tetracycline for over six weeks clears up your face as well as your lungs!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Saw a permanent sign on a cheap hotel - Newly Renovated Rooms. The sign had some age on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just saw a TV ad for an allergy medicine. “It works hard after one hour, and twice as hard after 24 hours.”

Sounds like you may have to wait a day or so for results.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post

Suzuki named a car "Alto" and it sold like hot cakes, so apparently you can name your product even the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do and still find lots of customers. That said, later Suzuki called a car "Swift" so apparently even their belief in that marketing approach has its limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Suzuki named a car "Alto" and it sold like hot cakes, so apparently you can name your product even the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do and still find lots of customers.
    Am I missing something? I thought that alto meant "high".
    As above, so below

And "halt" or "stop" in Spanish.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And "halt" or "stop" in Spanish.
    Which reminds me of the urban legend about the Chevrolet No Va.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

(The Swift is a great car.)

Just seen clickbait spam for an "Insane Crypto Currency".

Oh the modern world where "insane" means "good", even when related to currency (of whatever kind).
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Show me a sane crypto currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Am I missing something? I thought that alto meant "high".
    https://nl.123rf.com/photo_12648963_...-english-.html

Does that mean that "El Alto", the name of the airport at La Paz, Bolivia, does not necessarily mean high, as in 13,000 feet?

Perhaps it should be El Homónimo.

"The (s)top"

There are several commercials running now from a DNA testing company, "just in time for Father's Day." I guess I can see their point, but I wonder at the underlying message.

"Here, Dad, take this DNA test. Maybe I'll get lucky and we won't be related after all."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

There was some commercial I heard on the radio the other day that said, "Don't know what to get Dad for Fathers' Day this year? Why not cure prostate cancer?"

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There was some commercial I heard on the radio the other day that said, "Don't know what to get Dad for Fathers' Day this year? Why not cure prostate cancer?"
    That doesn't even really fall into the "Well, what would YOU put in the window?" defense.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Not going to touch this with a ten foot pole.

No that the silly part of me has answered, taking any cancer is a good thing.

"Don't know what to get Dad for Fathers' Day this year? Why not cure prostate cancer?"
    That's a gift that could benefit all of us non-dads too.