Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marketing Spin

Reading that link explains why there are so many terrible reviews for shake lights similar to the one I have.

Unscrupulous folks have been selling counterfeit versions that operate from a small button battery-which quickly dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

OK, so mine is defective or a scam:

One minute of cranking typically provides about 30 to 60 minutes of light.
    In my case, if I stop cranking I get another 5-10 seconds of light. If you get 30-60 minutes, the two-handed use is a non issue. Someone thought it was a good idea to take the dyno torch and make it rotary in the case of my flashlight from hell.

@extravoice: seems like I have a different kind of scam.

I had a Russian-made version of that once upon a time. Quite tiresome to use. But at least you can do it one-handed.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I have a Zippo
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Canola oil. Because it sounds better than rapeseed.
    Interesting. For me canola oil evokes negative thoughts of "payola", whereas rapeseed is just what abuts the house every third year, depending on the rotation cycle and the anticipated market price. The only thing I have against rapeseed is incessant complaints from my wife about her allergy.

"Vine Ripened Tomatoes" as advertised at the grocery stores. No such animal (nor vegetable) exists inside any supermarket.

I beg to differ. You'll often see them there on the vine. Of course, they've just clipped off the vine when they were green and done the usual gas-ripening, but they ARE on a vine.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

No need to beg ;-)
    Yes, true they were gassed while still green and attached to the clipped vine but that puts the "spin" in the spin of "vine ripened". They may be red or pink via the gas but they are not really ripe. To find a truly vine ripened tomato I have to go to the garden and pick it myself....though there are some roadside local farmers who pick them orange and let them ripen further on the road stand while awaiting sale. That's as close as it gets to fulfill the definition of "ripe".

When I lived in NJ, vine ripened tomatoes (and zucchini) would magically appear at my doorstep at a certain time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    When I lived in NJ, vine ripened tomatoes (and zucchini) would magically appear at my doorstep at a certain time of the year.

That happens here, to this day. The problem is never having enough zucchini; it’s finding neighbors who want to explore the infinite expanse of zucchini-based cuisine.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Not unusual. I worked at a Union Carbide plant that bottled anti-freeze. You could watch the long line of bottles moving down the conveyor to be filled. There were usually at least three different brands there.

And, Mrs Baird makes truly excellent white bread. Which can be packaged in several different brand wrappers.
    Yup, same here - as a box printer my big beef (sorry ) is frozen burger boxes. My local grocery store has a freezer line of approximately 40 feet in length - well over half of that frozen burgers. And ALL of them are boxes I personally print.
    Naturally, I have access to the shipping info; and EVERY ONE of those different products and different brands not only go right back to the same production plant, they go to the same machine. Regardless of brand or style, every frozen burger in that store save one Ontario brand is exactly the same burger.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    That happens here, to this day. The problem is never having enough zucchini; it’s finding neighbors who want to explore the infinite expanse of zucchini-based cuisine.
    I'm trying to imagine any world in which exploring the delights of zucchini is not utterly horrifying; but that's just me.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

There is a TV ad for a blood thinner that claims that >98% of users don't get a recurring blood clot.

That sounded good until I realized that I have no idea what the recurrence rate is for competing medicines, or for no medicine at all.

Is this a good percentage or a bad percentage?
    It doesn't matter! Ninety-eight percent sounds good in the commercial!

Sounds good, except to the 2% for whom it fails.

Those 2 percent are in the clutches of big pharma anyway, so no quick wins to be made from them. But they'll maybe recover, get cleared by their doctors, and become possible spin victims again.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

TV ad for blood thinners. Aren't those prescription drugs?

Marketing Spin

Yes. Ads for prescription medicines are allowed in the US if certain rules are followed. These apparently include listing side effects, lots of tiny print (for both TV and print ads), and the inevitable statement ďask your doctor if [this med] is right for you.Ē

Yeah. There are TONS of annoying prescription drug ads in the USA. There's one on our TV RIGHT NOW. It's aimed at a quite limited market, so I assume it's very expensive.
    There used to be three types of these ads:
    1. Those that named the product, but didn't say what it was for.
    2. Those that named the treated condition, but didn't name the product, just "ask your doctor".
    3. Those that named both the product and condition. Those had to list side effects, warnings, etc.

Drug companies quickly figured out they could run type 1 and 2 almost, but not quite, back to back; using the same music and actors and avoid the warnings. That's been cracked down on now and only type 3 are permitted.

i'd guess prescription drugs account for at least 10% of ads on US TV.

If your commercial lasts more than 4 hours please consult your cable provider.

Marketing, internet style. I hate how the internet advertising organisations are so hands-off with what garbage they allow to pass through their systems.

Amused at the way they stick date/time (and sometimes location) into ads to make them seem more "legit".

P.S. can someone tell me when Christmas is so I can answer this quiz I've been selected for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marketing.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	22846  
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    P.S. can someone tell me when Christmas is so I can answer this quiz I've been selected for?
    THAT WOULD BE CHEATING!!!!!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Is that a trick question? You're in New Zealand, on the other side of the International Date Line. That puts you a day ahead of us in the US. Which means - for you - Christmas is Tuesday the 25th. (Unless it's the date that changes which makes it Monday the 26th.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Is that a trick question? You're in New Zealand, on the other side of the International Date Line. That puts you a day ahead of us in the US. Which means - for you - Christmas is Tuesday the 25th. (Unless it's the date that changes which makes it Monday the 26th.)
    Now I can't tell if you didn't understand my sarcasm or I didn't understand yours!

Marketing Spin

Isnít Christmas June 25 in New Zealand?

Now I can't tell if you didn't understand my sarcasm or I didn't understand yours!
    Oh, I got yours. Maybe mine is too veiled?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

This looks like a homework question veiled as a contest. We frown upon giving away homework answers, and you really should know better!

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I'm not sure this fits into the "spin" column but wood stud 2x4s are not 2x4s, anymore anyways. I'm sure my fellow lumber handlers here know that that today's 2x4s are really 1.5x3.5s. My old 1910 farm house has the real thing. Not sure when they shrank?

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    I'm not sure this fits into the "spin" column but wood stud 2x4s are not 2x4s, anymore anyways. I'm sure my fellow lumber handlers here know that that today's 2x4s are really 1.5x3.5s. My old 1910 farm house has the real thing. Not sure when they shrank?
    That sort of thing always confuses the heck out of me. Certain common sizes here are sold by the rough sawn size, even if they are always bought dressed. So if you are measuring something for "precise" fit, you can't go by the advertised sizes when planning.

I suppose the experts know all this back to front and intuitively, but for amateur me it's a small struggle.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    here in UK 2 x 4 are converted to millimetres but there is still the sawn size. Then for planed sections they are called by the sawn size plus PAR planed all round. But sheets are given as inches one way and metric the other where they used to be 8 by fours. It's to do with standard 16 inch centres for battens, close to 400mm.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    At least 50 years ago.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.