Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Marketing Spin

I did see an ad the other day for a Non-GMO dog food. I can't imagine the dog would care.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

But was not Non-GMO, gluten free, pesticide free, organic, vaccine free and has been quantumly preserved with a digital QR code that can earn you cryptocurrency.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

My dog is unimpressed. He is waiting for MOOD, Massive Open Online Dogfood. You know, a decent Dog Food Community, a Dog Food Ecosystem with a wide range of DAAS (Dogfood As A Service) providers. With the ability to inject your dogfood tokens into the dogchain. He wants an IoT dogfood bag that automatically resupplies when it reaches critical level. Also, he's tired of the Julius K9 and wants to upgrade to the G5-Ready Julius K10 Pro. And above all, he wants the bench that sleeps better than 99,9% of the tested benches, including the market leading brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    My dog is unimpressed. He is waiting ...
    That someone with a cat for an avatar would make a post about dogs and dog food amuses me. But that's really another thread, so ...
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My dog is unimpressed. He is waiting for MOOD, Massive Open Online Dogfood. You know, a decent Dog Food Community, a Dog Food Ecosystem with a wide range of DAAS (Dogfood As A Service) providers. With the ability to inject your dogfood tokens into the dogchain. He wants an IoT dogfood bag that automatically resupplies when it reaches critical level. Also, he's tired of the Julius K9 and wants to upgrade to the G5-Ready Julius K10 Pro. And above all, he wants the bench that sleeps better than 99,9% of the tested benches, including the market leading brand.
    Will he be paying with Dogecoin?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    That someone with a cat for an avatar would make a post about dogs and dog food amuses me. But that's really another thread, so ...
    Looking at the cat, she's as shocked as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Will he be paying with Dogecoin?
    I asked him, and his reply was along the lines of "wow. Much mining. Such value. wow."

"This is not your typical [whatever]".

Any typical [whatever] ever.

That's a good one, Nicolas. Literally watched an ad that started with those words not 20 minutes ago. Made me chuckle. haha

"This is not your typical [whatever]".

Any typical [whatever] ever.
    "Not your father's Oldsmobile" supposedly pretty well sank the brand.

For the past year or so, everything in the ad world has been owls. Now it seems to be shifting to robots.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The robot overlords are softening us up.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I just saw a TV commercial for “The Great Courses Plus”.

I guess that means they also offer some not-so-great courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This also has could be in one of the "annoys" threads. But it is mostly something I don't understand.

This happens all the time with various companies; I'll give a recent example. I just ordered some dishes on-line; they are replacements in a pattern my wife and I have since we were married and use as our everyday dishes. We wanted to fill in a few things that had gotten broken over the years. I think I've purchased from this retailer before, but it is a least a decade.

I ordered the stuff, and received promptly; everything was fine. But now I am getting daily emails from this company, to either buy more stuff in this pattern, or buy other stuff. I haven't ordered from you in over a decade, do you really think I am now going to be ordering on a daily basis? And do you think if you bug me everyday I'm more likely to buy more stuff?

I know it essentially costs them nothing to send me these daily emails. And I know I can (and will) unsubscribe. But why do they bother? All they do is annoy me (there is another expression I was going to use) and make me less likely to buy from them. It would have been much smarter for them to send me a single follow-up email ("anything else you might need?") and then maybe follow-up every six months or so. Instead, I'm going to cut off all communications from them.

Dumb.

I had a similar experience with the Red Cross after recently donating blood. Starting exactly on the day I was eligible to donate again, they pummeled me with daily emails.

Obviously, I unsubscribed, and now get no reminders. That didn’t work quite the way they planned.

Facebook constantly spams my email with “alerts” that “A lot has happened on Facebook since you last logged in” and other nonsense.

Really, since yesterday or earlier today?

It’s like a combination of a pathologically clingy girlfriend and a crack-pushing drug dealer.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

FaceBook does it because you've set a setting telling it to do it. Reset that and it won't.

(The same thing is usually true for almost anywhere else that you enter an email address, with a checkbox that you simply decheck in the first place so it doesn't even start. But I've seen a few cases where that wasn't there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    This also has could be in one of the "annoys" threads. But it is mostly something I don't understand.

This happens all the time with various companies; I'll give a recent example. I just ordered some dishes on-line; they are replacements in a pattern my wife and I have since we were married and use as our everyday dishes. We wanted to fill in a few things that had gotten broken over the years. I think I've purchased from this retailer before, but it is a least a decade.

I ordered the stuff, and received promptly; everything was fine. But now I am getting daily emails from this company, to either buy more stuff in this pattern, or buy other stuff. I haven't ordered from you in over a decade, do you really think I am now going to be ordering on a daily basis? And do you think if you bug me everyday I'm more likely to buy more stuff?

I know it essentially costs them nothing to send me these daily emails. And I know I can (and will) unsubscribe. But why do they bother? All they do is annoy me (there is another expression I was going to use) and make me less likely to buy from them. It would have been much smarter for them to send me a single follow-up email ("anything else you might need?") and then maybe follow-up every six months or so. Instead, I'm going to cut off all communications from them.

Dumb.
    It might make sense for a company to ask, when you're placing an order, "Do you want a follow-up e-mail to make sure everything is okay? Yes|No"

Followed by, "How often would you like us to notify you of new information? Daily|Weekly|Monthly|Yearly|Never"

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    (The same thing is usually true for almost anywhere else that you enter an email address, with a checkbox that you simply decheck in the first place so it doesn't even start. But I've seen a few cases where that wasn't there.)
    In the case I gave, where you've placed an order with a company, I would say it is only about half have such a checkbox. And more often then not, those checkboxes are for such things as can we share your email with other companies, or can we send you "special offers" or similar. I'm also not sure that even when you've unchecked that box, that you don't still get emails (I assume about "non-special" offers).

In the particular example I gave, I don't recall any checkboxes at all.

I have some hand sanitizer that “Kills 99.99 percent of most illness causing germs”.

I have some hand sanitizer that “Kills 99.99 percent of most illness causing germs”.
    And leaves just enough resistant survivors that can go on to evolve into something more deadly.

And only under the right lab conditions.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB126092257189692937

They could make that statement for killing 99.99% of 51% of all illness causing germs.

Edit: Or 99.99% of 50.001% (say a one-germ majority), and that's less than half of the bad ones.
    Last edited by DonM435; 2019-Feb-28 at 09:01 PM.

I discovered there is also something like insufficient marketing spin. For example, you cannot simply throw out your internal KPI's and expect them to be an instant marketing slogan. We have a bank here that loudly states:

"we go 100% to satisfy 95% of our clients".

I'm sure that sounded better in the heads of the KPI/target/quarterly report/EBITDA brainwashed economical analysts than it does on a billboard...

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I did see an ad the other day for a Non-GMO dog food. I can't imagine the dog would care.
    Rather obviously, the marketing isn’t directed to the dog; they tend to be pretty poor.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Rather obviously, the marketing isn’t directed to the dog; they tend to be pretty poor.
    Maybe it was directed at Leona Helmsley’s dog.

As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Maybe it was directed at Leona Helmsley’s dog.

Only the little dogs pay for dog food.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I discovered there is also something like insufficient marketing spin. For example, you cannot simply throw out your internal KPI's and expect them to be an instant marketing slogan. We have a bank here that loudly states:

"we go 100% to satisfy 95% of our clients".
    That's really bad. I'm sure what they meant to say is, "We work our butts off, and 95% of our clients are satisfied," but it doesn't come out at all.
    As above, so below

They could make it even better by changing it to:

Kills up to 99.99 percent of some illness causing germs.

Then you could sell glucose water!
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Ouch!

When I was a little kid, I used to work in my Dad's grocery store.

I'm stocking a shelf, and he tells me that all of the dog food are 15 cents a can (or whatever the 1960s prices might have been) except for Canine Zero (or whatever it was called), which is 10 cents a can.

"For cheap dogs, eh?" I remark, ever the wise guy.

"For poor dogs," he replies.

Now, I knew that there were poor people, and that our family was a lot closer to them than to rich people, but the idea, that pets in poor families had to suffer, hit me so hard that I still remember it.