Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Marketing Spin

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There was some commercial I heard on the radio the other day that said, "Don't know what to get Dad for Fathers' Day this year? Why not cure prostate cancer?"
    Father's Day is for neckties and power tools. I am holding on to the cure until a more sentimental gift-giving holiday comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    Father's Day is for neckties and power tools.
    Hopefully, for safety sake, those two gifts are not used at the same time.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    Father's Day is for neckties and power tools. I am holding on to the cure until a more sentimental gift-giving holiday comes around.
    Or a bucket with assorted accessories for washing the car, according to a commercial I saw just moments ago. Kind of the equivalent of giving Mom a vacuum cleaner.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    "Here, Dad, take this DNA test. Maybe I'll get lucky and we won't be related after all."

"A DNA test! What kind of a gift is that?? Why you cheap little -- !"

"Wait! That remains to be proven."

I remember some time back somebody truly naïve and not calculatingly cynical bought five of those DNA kits for herself and her siblings. I forgot the event, somebodies Quince I think.

This girl blushed all the way back to her ears once ALL the implications were explained.

Her *Mom* was NOT amused. All her Mom's friends were though.

Poor thing got the "Latin mother slap on the shoulder of disapproval". (Which usually in my neighborhood meant, "If there weren't witnesses I'd beat you to the floor, child!")
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I heard a radio ad for a pickup truck where the announcer stated, “When you drive a <brand> truck, you’re used to overpromising.”

Either they confused “over promise” with “over deliver”, or there is a new truth-in-advertising law that I’m unfamiliar with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Last evening, I saw a TV commercial for a mascara that is so good that you’ll look like you’re wearing false eyelashes.

Huh?

I'll have to ask my wife wether that's a good or a bad thing, so she can ask that one friend of hers who undoubtedly has the definitive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Last evening, I saw a TV commercial for a mascara that is so good that you’ll look like you’re wearing false eyelashes.

Huh?
    I’m not a woman, but I think what they mean is that mascara makes your eyelashes look thicker, but that extensions make them look even thicker and longer.

As above, so below

I heard a radio ad for a pickup truck where the announcer stated, “When you drive a <brand> truck, you’re used to overpromising.”
    To me, that’s just weird. I can’t understand what it means. Is it possible you misheard?

As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    To me, that’s just weird. I can’t understand what it means. Is it possible you misheard?

I haven’t heard it again, so I can’t confirm. Mishearing is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    There are several commercials running now from a DNA testing company, "just in time for Father's Day." I guess I can see their point, but I wonder at the underlying message.

"Here, Dad, take this DNA test. Maybe I'll get lucky and we won't be related after all."
    Happy Traveling Salesman's Day
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The vending machines in the break room at my office were recently fitted with credit card and pay-by-phone readers.

They now each sport a sticker stating, “The prices displayed are 10 cents lower than retail, and are available only on cash purchases.”

That sounds so much better than “Ten cent surcharge for credit card and phone purchases.”

The vending machines in the break room at my office were recently fitted with credit card and pay-by-phone readers.

They now each sport a sticker stating, “The prices displayed are 10 cents lower than retail, and are available only on cash purchases.”

That sounds so much better than “Ten cent surcharge for credit card and phone purchases.”

Don't blame the vending machine company, blame the federal government. It's against the law* to levy a surcharge for using a credit card instead of cash. It is, however, legal to offer a discount for using cash instead of credit card. And I'm not even joking - that is actually the state of the law in the U.S.

I'm kind of surprised they can get away with doing it the way they're doing it though. The higher price has to be the "normal" price, and by listing the lower prices they seem to me to be kind of skirting that.

*There used to be a federal law that prohibited credit card surcharges nationwide. That is no longer the case, but 10 states still have state laws prohibiting surcharges. Federal law still caps surcharges at 4% of the purchase, or the actual cost to the merchant of processing the card, whichever is lower.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

For some reason, the most annoying commercial for me lately is the one with the whiney young woman saying something like: "Your insurance company wants to punish you just because you put a scratch on somebody else's car, a scratch so small you could fix it with this pen! [Brandishes a pen.] Why don't you take this pen and buy some new insurance instead?"

Since when can you fix a scratch with a pen that you happen to be carrying? Yeah, there are paint-pens that can do a crummy job of covering up a scratch if it isn't too big and the color is just right, but if some turkey scapes my car and then messes it up further with a ballpoint pen , I'm going to be even angrier. But, never mind that bit of absurdity.

Look, I don't like paying auto insurance more than anybody else, but I do take care to avoid collisions and have generally succeeded. It really isn't all that difficult in most cases. If you think that insistence on your responsibility is punishment, then just keep your pen and stay home. I don't want to be paying for your small scratches.

Recently, we needed to buy homeowner’s insurance, and Mrs. Extravoice took on the task.
    She asked if there were any companies I wanted her to contact, and I replied that any one other than THAT one would be fine.

Also, the connection between having a pen and buying alternate insurance is pretty obscure. I've bought car insurance online for some time now. I can't recall the last agreement that I actually had to sign in ink.

I've had my current car insurance for years. With that company, I have bought 2 cars to get insured, added my wife's car, added most of our other insurances, have had to use the insurances twice. I've had to do some paperwork on actual paper, although very limited. Most things happen through email. I've certainly never seen those people in person.

Our old agent lives down the road from us and her mother lives in field on one side of our house.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

There is currently a dog food commercial showing the pet owner announcing that her dog was lethargic, "and then I fed him <expensive dog food>".
    And that's all she says.

I guess we're supposed to assume the dog was less lethargic?
    Perhaps they can't legally make any claims, so they say nothing at all.

"Our dishwasher is quieter than the leading brand."

(Because we took out the built-in garbage disposal that makes the leading brand a more effective appliance overall.)

There is currently a dog food commercial showing the pet owner announcing that her dog was lethargic, "and then I fed him <expensive dog food>".
    And that's all she says.

I guess we're supposed to assume the dog was less lethargic?
    Perhaps they can't legally make any claims, so they say nothing at all.
    "And he died the next day" was rejected by focus groups.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    "And he died the next day" was rejected by focus groups.

He also no longer chewed up my shoes.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

There's a car company using Rolling Stones songs to sell cars. Including "Sympathy for the Devil". Really?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Hey, if Microsoft used "Start Me Up" for the Windows '95 launch event... ("...you make a grown man cry...")

And too many presidential candidates used "Born in the USA" a bit too carelessly.

The Lipton tea commercial where their "factory" is a tea plantation. Yeah, and a tree farm is a lumber mill.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin