Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat Earther With Rocket

As the others have said, being in Australia doesn't feel like being upside-down, nor does traveling there feel like falling.
    Conclusion: the earth is flat.

I've been to Australia. Everything is pretty normal there. Except for that one evening, on Aussie Day, in a karaoke bar. Normal was not part of that evening.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Conclusion: the earth is flat.

I've been to Australia. Everything is pretty normal there. Except for that one evening, on Aussie Day, in a karaoke bar. Normal was not part of that evening.
    But when I drive north it's uphill and returning it's downhill, for sure. those northern places are really high up.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Water flows down to the sea. Yet, when you're at sea, you're always at the highest point of all sea surrounding you. A sphere is a strange place.

Water flows down to the sea. Yet, when you're at sea, you're always at the highest point of all sea surrounding you. A sphere is a strange place.
    Whoa, thatís deep, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    This has a little more detail: Washington Post
    Hughesís ultimate goal is a subsequent launch that puts him miles above the Earth, where the 61-year-old limousine driver hopes to photograph proof of the disc we all live on.
    Or he could view this:

Blue Origin: Mannequin Skywalkerís ride to space onboard Crew Capsule 2.0 (YouTube, about 11 minutes)
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Was the launch stage landed/recovered for this flight, too?

[edit: I see from another short video on the Blue Origins YouTube channel that they did]

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2017-Dec-28 at 07:20 AM. Reason: answered my own q.
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Reminds me of being out doing some boat handling training recently, and going through a well-known "swirly bit" (something to do with the shape of the sea bed). One of the young trainees asked why it was always very disturbed there, and one of the crew explained :

"Well, you know how the earth's curved? This is the high point of the curve, and all the water flows downhill from here."

It did take a few seconds for realisation to dawn... :-D
    Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's alloted span...
    (Phoenician proverb)

Any word if/when this guy is going to try his rocket?

Glom is online now Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    As an Australian, I can absolutely confirm we don't fear going outside without Velcro-soled shoes in case we drop helplessly off the face of the Earth and fly despairingly out into space....
    Of course not. Not when there's all those snakes and spiders to fear.

The most recent launch attempt was aborted due to technical difficulties:
    https://gizmodo.com/flat-earth-rocke...elf-1822712646

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The most recent launch attempt was aborted due to technical difficulties:
    Oh no! Quick - send more money....

It looks like he managed to launch the rocket without seriously injuring himself.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ia-sky-n859801

Interestingly, the conspiracy fringe are already claiming he faked his flight, and wasnít inside.

Glom is online now Insert awesome title here
    About 1,000ft? Not sure that's going to prove much in terms of the curvature of the Earth.

It looks like he managed to launch the rocket without seriously injuring himself.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ia-sky-n859801

Interestingly, the conspiracy fringe are already claiming he faked his flight, and wasnít inside.

If by "conspiracy" you're referring to the comment in the NBC News article, that was about his previous, unrecorded flight. He's had a documentary crew following him around this time.

This was actually the second time he's constructed and launched a rocket. He said he jumped on a private property in Winkelman, Arizona, on Jan. 30, 2014, and traveled 1,374 feet. He collapsed after that landing and needed three days to recover.
    But there wasn't any footage of him climbing into the craft, leading some to question whether he even took off.

This one was going to be shown online through Noize TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    About 1,000ft? Not sure that's going to prove much in terms of the curvature of the Earth.

Actually, about 1875 feet, but who's counting The article claims he's planning on taking a rocket to a much higher altitude in the future: 68 miles with a balloon assist. I guess he's having fun!
    Selden

Flat Earther With Rocket

He does seem to enjoy it, but also seems to realize he is really living on the edge of getting himself killed.

I havenít been following this too closely, but get the feeling he isnít really too attached on the flat earth idea -other than it helps fund his hobby.

As for the balloon launch, how would that work for a steam rocket?

I dunno what his plans might be, but high altitude balloons, of the kind that lift payloads to 100,000 ft (~20 miles) or higher, are made of relatively thin mylar, with their payloads dangling beneath them. If it dangles far enough below, it might not take much of a tilt for a rocket to avoid hitting the balloon. I don't think a steam rocket could add much to that kind of altitude, though, certainly not another 40 miles. I can also think of lots of ways such an endeavor might end unhappily.

Hmm. I just discovered that Vijaypat Singhania set the record for the highest hot air balloon flight, reaching 21,027 m (68,986 ft). Maybe he'd use one like that.

I'm aware of one person who's managed to go to high altitudes with a helium balloon (Felix Baumgartner to ~128,000 ft) and that took years of expensive R&D.
    Selden

He does seem to enjoy it, but also seems to realize he is really living on the edge of getting himself killed.

I haven’t been following this too closely, but get the feeling he isn’t really too attached on the flat earth idea -other than it helps fund his hobby.

I think that's exactly right. He wants to launch himself in a rocket and has found some fools to give him money.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I haven’t been following this too closely, but get the feeling he isn’t really too attached on the flat earth idea -other than it helps fund his hobby.

At 1000 feet, what would the steam push off of?

Lol.
    Solfe

And besides, is 0,999...even equal to 1?

Anyway, for a shadetree manned rocket that ding didn't fly half bad, so congrats to the builder/pilot!

Not that again.

Here is what gets me...er...steamed.

As we saw, pressure-feds are so simple, even anti-science flat earthers can make them--so where's Sea Dragon.

Even sadder...I'd still rather ride the flat-earther's rocket as anything Rutan ever made.

Given that this flat-earther rocket didn't manage to get people to the ground without getting hurt with a perigee of only a few hundred meters, that last part was more than a bit uncalled for, wasn't it?

Given that this flat-earther rocket didn't manage to get people to the ground without getting hurt with a perigee of only a few hundred meters, that last part was more than a bit uncalled for, wasn't it?
    Yes, Rutan built planes that took people around the world without refueling, surely that alone makes for a better track record.

AROUND the world? Surely you mean aflat the world?

AROUND the world? Surely you mean aflat the world?
    Well, you can ask two of the three people who took such trips how they would describe their journey, but sadly, not the third one, as he died ten years ago (under circumstances that briefly inspired conspiracy theories until his body was discovered.)

(Holy cake, that was ten years ago, I feel so old...)