Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the highest altitude you've reached by car?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My highest is Pikes Peak. Although I was there when it was higher than Evans ... before all the tourist traffic wore it down.
    That reminds me of when I picked up a rock off the summit at Mt. Evans, and my mother remarked that if everyone did that we might not have a mountain after a while. This rock was already loose and was a trip hazard on the trail, and my picking it up was no threat to the mountain. If enough people used hammers and chisels to break chunks off the solid mass, that in principle would be another story.

I still have that rock, 57 years later. It is a chunk of granite or something similar, about the size of a tennis ball.

Inspired by Nicolas, I looked up the highest elevation in Belgium and was surprised to see it was as much as 694M. The Netherlands don't even get to half of that.

ETA: That's the mainland European Netherlands, of course. There is a higher point in the West Indies.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2017-Dec-13 at 05:35 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yes, Belgium has quite some vertical action going on in the south. That's where I drive my rallies. Small, twisty roads with height differences, terrible surface, and in many cases no ditches to the side. Rally heaven. The Netherlands however, is incredibly flat and the roads are mostly unsuitable for interesting rally. They are perfect asphalt which is boring, perfectly straight with few interesting bends (mostly 90į crossings) which is boring, and aligned with waterways which makes "sorties" a bit costly.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2017-Dec-13 at 05:43 PM.

Highest I've driven is the carpark at one of the ski fields on Mt Ruapehu. Seen as Mount Doom in the Lord of the Rings movies.

Turns out it wasn't very high compared to many of the comments here.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

I don't remember a carpark in LOTR.

We recently traveled over 6800 hundred miles (round trip) from East Tennessee to Portland, Or and back.

Highest points were Timberline Lodge Mt. Hood, OR (on Halloween) @ 6000 ft.
    Panorama Point Hood River, OR @ 6800 ft. (off of I-84)
    Grand Canyon South Rim @ 6800 ft. Stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge
    Flagstaff, AZ @ 7300 ft. (I-40) Stayed twice at the Country Inn and Suites, had dinner @ Fat Olives, yum yum.
    Albuquerque, NM @ 5312 ft.
    Tehachapi Mountains Rt. 58 @ 3970 ft. Stayed at the Best Western.

We traveled I-5 through CA and OR, the highest point on I-5 is @ 4300 ft. Traversing through the Mt Shasta area into OR was a thrill ride and I would have thought we were at some of the highest elevations of our trip, but I-40 had the higher elevations.
    We wanted to return through Colorado, but the weather did not permit.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Not very high, I can't recall the exact height but I think the highest roads I have driven were in the Pyrenees near Andorra. From what I can see the passes are about 1,500 metres. High enough for snow to fall on us in late October - and naturally I had a car with poor tyres.

I am never going to get anywhere near that height in Western Australia as the highest point is only 1,249 metres and that is the top of a "mountain".
    Bluff Knoll is the only "mountain" I have ever climbed or ever intend to.
    "Hmm yes, the surrounding district is largely flat as a pancake to the horizon. I could have worked that out from the bottom".

Quote Originally Posted by megrfl View Post
    We recently traveled over 6800 hundred miles (round trip) from East Tennessee to Portland, Or and back.
    That sounds like fun; I've always wanted to do one of those cross-country driving trips.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Wolf Creek Pass

But I really really want to drive to the top of Shasta

By road, Pike's Peak in Colorado (14,115 feet, 4,302 m).

By trail, walking, Dead Woman's Pass (13,828 ft, 4,215m) on the Inca Trail.

The latter was rather more challenging than the former, even though it was a little lower.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That sounds like fun; I've always wanted to do one of those cross-country driving trips.
    I highly recommend it.

By car I think it is 8,250ft (c2,500m) near Shimla in India.

Quote Originally Posted by megrfl View Post
    I highly recommend it.
    Me, too. I've driven across the US more than a dozen times.

As to highest elevation in a car, I've been across the Beartooth Pass (already mentioned) and also to the Ancient Bristlecone National Forest (White Mtn) in California, somewhere near 11,000 feet. Also, I-70 across the Rockies tops out at over 11,000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Me, too. I've driven across the US more than a dozen times.

As to highest elevation in a car, I've been across the Beartooth Pass (already mentioned) and also to the Ancient Bristlecone National Forest (White Mtn) in California, somewhere near 11,000 feet. Also, I-70 across the Rockies tops out at over 11,000 feet.
    I had to look that up, but yes, I-70 tops out at 11,158 feet. In a tunnel!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I don't remember a carpark in LOTR.
    That's where they parked the onagers and trebuchets.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    That's where they parked the onagers and trebuchets.
    Which they use completely wrong in the movie. That bugged the heck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    By road, Pike's Peak in Colorado (14,115 feet, 4,302 m).

By trail, walking, Dead Woman's Pass (13,828 ft, 4,215m) on the Inca Trail.

The latter was rather more challenging than the former, even though it was a little lower.
    My mother told me a story from her childhood about a family trip to Colorado. They planned on going up Pikes Peak. My grandfather had an old Ford Model T and he was concerned it couldn't make the trip, much less climb the mountain, so he traded it in and bought a new Exeter. (Lexus of its day.)

They were about half way up the mountain when the Exeter started having stress issues, so they pulled over to let it cool down. From below them, coming up the road, they heard a chug-chug-chug.

And a family in a Model T passed them on their way to the top of the mountain.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My mother told me a story from her childhood about a family trip to Colorado. They planned on going up Pikes Peak. My grandfather had an old Ford Model T and he was concerned it couldn't make the trip, much less climb the mountain, so he traded it in and bought a new Exeter. (Lexus of its day.)

They were about half way up the mountain when the Exeter started having stress issues, so they pulled over to let it cool down. From below them, coming up the road, they heard a chug-chug-chug.

And a family in a Model T passed them on their way to the top of the mountain.
    That reminds me of what a friend of mine told me about riding his bicycle to the top of Mt. Washington, New Hampshire, while in college. He had a friend following in a car to provide shelter is case the weather suddenly turned dangerously bad, a serious hazard on that mountain. A man in a Cadillac passed them and made some foul-mouthed remarks about bicyclists in general and my friend in particular. My friend continued pedaling and after another mile he found the Cadillac with its radiator boiling, and he just waved as he went by.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    That reminds me of what a friend of mine told me about riding his bicycle to the top of Mt. Washington, New Hampshire, while in college. He had a friend following in a car to provide shelter is case the weather suddenly turned dangerously bad, a serious hazard on that mountain. A man in a Cadillac passed them and made some foul-mouthed remarks about bicyclists in general and my friend in particular. My friend continued pedaling and after another mile he found the Cadillac with its radiator boiling, and he just waved as he went by.
    There's a hill climb held Labor Day Weekend (to non-US readers: US Labor Day is the first Monday in September). On more than one race, riders have started in 80+ oF sunshine and turned a corner into a blinding snow storm.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I don't drive so I can't give an answer as to how far I've driven a car. But a car has taken me to Kananaskis which is the highest place I've been. I've traversed Yellowhead Pass a few times but it among one the lowest passes in the Rockies.

Somewhere in Colorado for me.

While searching my mother's maiden name, I found a reference to this road:
    http://www.livemint.com/Politics/Ypo...h-at-1930.html
    The world’s highest motorable road passes through Umling La Top in Ladakh at a height of over 19,300 feet and connects Chisumle and Demchok villages, located 230km from Leh

Your mother's maiden name is Umling La Top? Cool.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Drives pswd servers crazy, maybe because of the two spaces

To the best of my recollecation, here are my top five (approximate elevations) and I drove each one:
    13,800 ft on Mauna Kea
    12,400 ft at the Mt. Barcroft Station in the White Mountains of California
    10,490 ft at Tennessee Pass north of Leadville, Colorado
    10,100 ft at Saddlebag Lake in the Sierra Nevada just east of Tioga Pass
    10,000 ft at the Red Hill parking lot on Haleakela, Maui

My bottom two are:
    -200 ft along the Salton Sea in Calfornia
    -270 ft at Badwater in Death Valley National Park

Deming, New Mexico

I don't travel much.

Probably about 4,200 metres.

How did the engine like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    How did the engine like that?
    Not much get up and go. With my dad's '57 Plymouth with the '30s era flathead six, about 10mph top speed on the final approach to the top.

At least it made it, which is fair enough. Not that much air left at that altitude.