Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are We Just A Program? Is That A Good Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by likekinds View Post
    Before I unintentionally incite ire, has anyone noticed this thread has been moved to Off Topic Babbling?
    Yes. See post #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I doubt this discussion will involve generally accepted answers. Moved from Q&A to OTB.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Lighten up a little. The musings and ramblings of this poorly educated 75 year old man pose no threat to your secure little world.
    Heh. You lighten up a little. A little criticism of your ideas poses no threat to your made up mind. But oh well, if you leave.. may that force be with you.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

(Quote Originally Posted by likekinds View Post

"There is a force that drives this Universe".

DaveC426913:

"The universe existed for 9.2 billion ears before life came along. So there's one bit of evidence that puts a nail firmly in your hypothesis as it stands".)

I never said or implied there was life behind that force.
    Yes. You did. In the same paragraph:

We know nothing about the life force, but you wont convince me it doesn't exist. There is a force that drives this Universe.
    A paragraph is the expression of a single thought or idea.

You are welcome to retract and restate that, if you intended those to be distinct, unrelated ideas.

'Came along'? I'm sure I would have been chastised had I used such unscientific terminology.
    You would not be.
    The metaphor I used does not meaningfully change the message of, or sow misinformation about, the period of aboiogenesis.
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2017-Dec-17 at 04:31 AM.

We watch documentaries on subjects such as string theory and accept the 'big boy's' notions of observer created reality, parallel and multiple universes, eleven and more dimensions and that ultimately, anything is possible. Then when someone poses a view that is not strictly classroom astronomy, he is brow beaten for speculating beyond the classroom. I think it's called having your cake and eating it, too.
    I'm not sure what you mean by brow beating. You came and stated your belief and then asked what branch of science it would be, and I think that I and others pointed out that it's just speculation on your part and not something scientific. And it seems that somehow that upset you. I tried to be clear that you have all the right in the world to hold such a belief: as you pointed out yourself, there are many, many theists out there who believe in non-scientific things. But unless there is some experiment that you can do to test this, then it's not a scientific question. I'm not saying good or bad, just that it's a belief.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    In general, what's the upper limit for a man's "breeding age"?
    For a man, there isn't one.
    But you implied that there's an evolutionary advantage to dark, lush hair during breeding age. If a man's breeding age extends until his death, then that suggests there would actually be an evolutionary advantage to having dark, lush hair until death.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    But you implied that there's an evolutionary advantage to dark, lush hair during breeding age. If a man's breeding age extends until his death, then that suggests there would actually be an evolutionary advantage to having dark, lush hair until death.
    women often do but they have a time limit! in fact there are multiple body clues to age. Evolution may have reduced sperm quality and quantity too because we know now that happens. But we also know that grandmothers are important to child survival too so it's complicated.
    Humans have moved away from evolutionary limits now so the pressures are different.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Good point.

But your logic does assume men actually do breed at that age in significant numbers.

And presumably, the answer is that it's not enough of a advantage to outweigh the energy budget required.