Thread: Forum clock running fast?

Question Forum clock running fast?

Can the Forum's clock be adjusted?

If it uses NTP, has its NTP client stopped working, perhaps?

The CosmoQuest Forum's clock seems to be running about 6-7 minutes fast. This can cause technical problems if it gets too far off. I happened to notice this discrepancy when I edited a post a little while ago. It said my edit happened at 4:30 PM EST although the current time actually was more like 4:24 PM.

I'm sorry if this is a frequently asked question. I did a couple of searches with "obvious" parameters but didn't find any similar posts. I did find some posts mentioning the need to use ntp, though (dated 2013 in one of the archived "Build Team" development threads).
    Selden

Definitely off, but it doesn't really affect me.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

6 minutes, early-November. Observation

Post time: 2017 December 14, 7:00 pm PST.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Is there perhaps a gravitational anomaly around the area where the server is kept?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Is there perhaps a gravitational anomaly around the area where the server is kept?
    Iím pretty sure I havenít been in that location this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In Elizabeth Tower where Big Ben is kept there is a plate on which rest some old coins to adjust the clocks speed....not sure how that works, but maybe the CQ needs a coin taken off or put on
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    In Elizabeth Tower where Big Ben is kept there is a plate on which rest some old coins to adjust the clocks speed....not sure how that works, but maybe the CQ needs a coin taken off or put on
    That only works for vinyl phonograph needles.
    Has anyone notice the forum skipping a lot?

Hey! The clock seems to be right!

Yup. Agrees with my phone, anyhow.

I seem to be posting a minute into the future now.

Yup, same here. Least of my worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I doubt it Jens. The NTP server is taken off UTC which is taken off (US) GPS (from Google below) so if the GPS is out for whatever reason UTC and NTP will also be out.

The GPS navigation message includes the difference between GPS time and UTC. As of January 2017, GPS time is 18 seconds ahead of UTC because of the leap second added to UTC December 31, 2016. Receivers subtract this offset from GPS time to calculate UTC and specific timezone values. Dec 31, 2016
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

I noticed the UTC out in some of the Tiangong 1 reported UTC times from Satview.org between 27 March and 1 April 2018 and I also noticed UTC out by 4 hours between 2 April and 6 April on the Australian Bureau of Meteorology radars from at least 06:00 AEST to 11:00 AEST (23:00 to 04:00 Damascus time). On the morning of April 7 AEST I stayed up all night and noticed UTC was out by 30 minutes by 03:30 AEST and it went back to normal at 03:35 AEST.

So it looks like 'something big' started around the evening of March 26 (Damascus time) and finished on April 6 at 20:35 (Damascus time, around the time when the battle for Douma was won by the Syrian government forces).

To get around this type of 'problem' (Cisco calls it 'insane') you can set up a simple tickler line on another PC, similar to an "I'm OK" line used on a duplicate system backup server running in parallel, that checks the UTC/NTP time against its own local clock and returns a corrected UTC/NTP time if the UTC time shows large variations over short local time periods.
    Last edited by LaurieAG; 2018-Apr-20 at 08:02 AM.

lol

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

As they say, time is our window on the world

LOL, during the first gulf war GPS had this thing called Selective Availability which they retired in 2000. https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/modernization/sa/

There are even reports of the new GPS Block III satellites having regional denial capabilities but they are supposed to start being put up in May this year. That would be too easy to detect and would just preempt any preemption anyway. The current GPS Block IIF Satellites has reprogrammable processors that can receive software update uploads so that's about the only way the GPS could possibly be out by exactly 4 hours for a fixed time period over many consecutive days for many different radars around the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Bl...haracteristics

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13201756
    Selective Availability was replaced by regional denial capabilities with the GPS III satellites, i.e. instead of fuzzing the signal the US can now turn off GPS for entire countries
    Russia already has one called GLONASS, Europe has Galileo and China is building its own GPS system called Beidou. https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...a-s-GPS-Beidou

Regardless military grade GPS is the only thing that you could rely on for semi autonomous public vehicles unless you put up your own network that is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starli...constellation)

The clock seems to be right again, but for how long? I'll try posting this right at 2:30 PM MST, or as close as my clicking finger can get, so I can get a more precise reading.