Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do "spoilers" really spoil things for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Boy, do I disagree!

Part of the joy of experiencing a good story the first time is not knowing how it ends. You live it real time, as intended. (If that wasn't the intent, then Moby Dick would have a Foreword, "Ahab dies, the whale lives, enjoy the story.") This can make even a mediocre story one worth experiencing.

Once you know the ending, if the story is good / well-presented, you can enjoy it again and again. In fact, you may chose a particular retelling not for the story but for the presentation. (Did you ever see that remake of Casablanca? Yeah, once was more than enough.)

I think it comes down to this: If spoilers don't bother you, fine. But don't spoil the story for others for whom they do make a difference.
    Of course, many modern reprints of classics do come with scholarly forewords that sometimes contain such spoilers-- I think the version of Jane Eyre we read in High School had a foreword that spoiled who the heroine would eventually marry.

My brother-in-law gave me a copy of Jonathan Ross's The Incredibly Strange Film Book: An Alternative History Of Cinema (1993), which I've just finished reading.
    It's 290 pages of spoilers - Ross describes the plot of pretty much every film he reviews, often giving the ending if he thinks the ending is interesting. Now that would be a nightmare gift for the spoiler-sensitive!

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.