Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)

The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Do people still watch 3D?
    We saw it today in 3D and while it was interesting for a while I soon found myself ignoring the effect.
    Better was the subsonic and rumbling noises in the theatre. That was cool.
    In Dunkirk there’s a scene where a torpedo strikes a ship and I thought my seat was going to launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sensurround?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Possibly. Regal Cinemas calls it RPX for Regal Premium Experience. Not all screening halls are equipped with it, even within the same Regal theater complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That one just plain sucked the life out of me, and made death a long felt want. If I hadn't been in company I'd have walked out around the hour-thirty mark.
    Surely someone else must have got the giggles at the execrable dialogue?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Sensurround?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround

Apparently not:

In April 2010, Regal launched Regal Premium Experience (RPX), an upgraded theater format. Each RPX theater features a 60-foot screen, dual 30,000 lumen digital projectors, a 7.1 sound system, a Dolby Atmos sound system or an Auro 11.1 sound system with 273 loudspeaker components including eight 21 inch subwoofers. There are reclining leather seats with headrests. Both digital 2D and RealD 3D films can be screened.[12] As of January 2016, there are 87 operating RPX locations.[13]
    Not sure how they achieved the seat shaking but it could have simply been the subwoofers.

I wanted to like it.

Could they have picked a more dreary plot vehicle than plodding along for two hours at sub-light speed while the Empire toys with them like a mouse toys with a cat?

Empire:
    "Gee, they're moving at sublight speed across half the galaxy."
    "Yeah. It's such a pity we can't get ahead of them to flank them. Say, just a half light year in front of them."
    "I know right? Here we are, standing on the backbone of five miles of lightspeed drive... sigh"

Rebels:
    "Oh no! The Empire can see us! We'll never get away!"
    "I've got a plan. All we need to do is get away unseen."
    "Great! We'll escape!"
    "No, no. Then we come back. Unseen."

Empire:
    "Hey there's a planet up ahead. They're heading right for it."
    "Dang. Well no point in stopping them now. Let them get under cover, while we go prep for a ground assault."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Could they have picked a more dreary plot vehicle than plodding along for two hours at sub-light speed while the Empire toys with them like a mouse toys with a cat?
    You have womp mice?
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    I wanted to like it.

Empire:
    "Gee, they're moving at sublight speed across half the galaxy."
    "Yeah. It's such a pity we can't get ahead of them to flank them. Say, just a half light year in front of them."
    "I know right? Here we are, standing on the backbone of five miles of lightspeed drive... sigh"

Rebels:
    "Oh no! The Empire can see us! We'll never get away!"
    "I've got a plan. All we need to do is get away unseen."
    "Great! We'll escape!"
    "No, no. Then we come back. Unseen."

Empire:
    "Hey there's a planet up ahead. They're heading right for it."
    "Dang. Well no point in stopping them now. Let them get under cover, while we go prep for a ground assault."
    You know, the film was full of ridiculous scenarios/plots and script/dialogue that made you cringe at times. But the nostalgic child in me forgave all that, because its Star Wars! I just accept its a sci-fi fairy tale where the logic and science are thrown out of the window. So I tend to go into the cinema already convinced that I'm going to enjoy the film, regardless.

I agree in my first post about that chase plot DaveC, it reminded me of Sink the Bismark, slow moving ships in a 2-D seagoing environment, not space. Even one of the Empire's ships was called a "Dreadnought", seemingly to set the mood.

STOP RUINING THE MOVIE FOR ME!!! (and stop making everything lowercase, board software!!!)

CJSF

P.S.
    Why does the forum force lowercase on me sometimes! AIEEE!!!

[edit the edit]And adding the non caps part made the lowercase part caps again. WTH...
    Last edited by CJSF; 2018-Jan-10 at 02:07 PM. Reason: forced lowercase???!! wot?
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    STOP RUINING THE MOVIE FOR ME!!!
    They're not ruining the movie. Rian Johnson ruined the movie. (That's the problem with writing and directing - there's nowhere to shift responsibility.)

Grant Hutchison

The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)

I liked the movie, but I disabled my “suspension of disbelief” upon entering the theater.

ETA: But that Mary Poppins scene was still awful.

Last edited by Extravoice; 2018-Jan-10 at 07:48 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    They're not ruining the movie. Rian Johnson ruined the movie. (That's the problem with writing and directing - there's nowhere to shift responsibility.)

Grant Hutchison
    I thought my winky indicated I was kidding.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

I thought my winky indicated I was kidding.
    Yes, I thought so, too. And the screamy capital letters and multiple exclamation marks helped as well.

Grant Hutchison

Blame the editor, actors, studio interference, the key grip, or society. There's no end of scapegoats.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I liked the movie, but I disabled my “suspension of disbelief” upon entering the theater.

ETA: But that Mary Poppins scene was still awful.

The Mary Poppins scene in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was much better.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Blame the editor, actors, studio interference, the key grip, or society. There's no end of scapegoats.
    Studio interference is certainly a good one. But it's making so much money no-one's going to feel the need to deploy that one. Unless there's a perceived market for a Director's Cut later ...
    And I've seen a few critics suggest that it's the fault of the people who don't like it, because they are, in effect, "Not watching it properly." The stereotype seems to be that rigid-minded fans, either wedded to the story-telling style of the Original Trilogy, or obsessed with the minutiae of the Star Wars universe, are the only ones who dislike the movie, while all that's required to love it is to go in with the proverbial "open mind".

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Jan-10 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Before: "Oh boy, I am so stoked to see this movie!"
    Watching: "Wow! Awesome movie! This one stands up to ESB!"
    Watched: "That was good. But..."
    After a few sleeps: "Well, you know..."
    Reads CQ/BABB: "WHY DID I WASTE TWO AND HALF HOURS OF MY LIFE!"

Thanks, friends!

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

So, who stole the books? Rey glances at them but doesn't seem to notice or care and Luke thought he burned them.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    So, who stole the books? Rey glances at them but doesn't seem to notice or care and Luke thought he burned them.
    Rey stole them. Yoda told us.

Grant Hutchison

Before: "Oh boy, I am so stoked to see this movie!"
    Watching: "Wow! Awesome movie! This one stands up to ESB!"
    Watched: "That was good. But..."
    After a few sleeps: "Well, you know..."
    Reads CQ/BABB: "WHY DID I WASTE TWO AND HALF HOURS OF MY LIFE!"

Thanks, friends!

CJSF
    I actually like the movie, A LOT. Sure, it's got "hey, wait a minute, what about X?" problems, but so do the original three movies. Heck, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Blade Runner, and the Cameron Terminator movies have them; would anyone on this forum argue that they're not great films?

I actually like the movie, A LOT. Sure, it's got "hey, wait a minute, what about X?" problems, but so do the original three movies. Heck, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Blade Runner, and the Cameron Terminator movies have them; would anyone on this forum argue that they're not great films?
    I did too - I'm being bombastic and silly, while acknowledging the issues others have with the movie and pointing out its flaws (which I find almost as entertaining as the movies I love).

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

I agree! Why would anyone expect anything else? It's a fairy tale after all.
    I went into the theatre with no big expectations other than lots of special effects, a little intrigue and anticipation regarding the story of Rey and Luke. Yes the film had many flaws, with some ridiculous dialogue and scenes that made you cringe. But the film is aimed at the masses - kids, parents and grandparents so it (from a production view point) had to cover all bases, I personally felt it delivered in this respect.
    The scientists in us here on this forum are always going to scoff at any sci-fi film, so its inevitable that we will nit pick.

I was watching a fictional programme the other day and was scoffing at the scientific ignorance shown by the writers/directors.
    My partner turned to me and simply said "Its a programme, get a grip its not real! Enjoy it for what it is, not what you think it should be!"
    Last edited by cosmocrazy; 2018-Jan-11 at 07:13 AM.

The problem with "Enjoy it for what it is" is if you don't find "what it is" enjoyable.
    Most times it's not about plot holes and nit-picking accuracy, and it's not about wanting the movie to be different from what it is - we just don't enjoy the way a story is told, or perhaps the message the film embodies.

And it's OK not to enjoy a movie that other people love, just as it's OK to love a movie other people hate. It's pretty unremarkable that people turn out to like different things. The group I was with for this movie was split half and half, and we all knew which group everyone was going to be in, before we even started talking about it.
    (But I guess I vote with your partner - maintaining a running critique while someone else is actually watching and enjoying is not going to oil the wheels of society.)

Grant Hutchison

Though I was poking some fun at the movie for my perceived battleship scenes analogy I really liked the movie, heck it's what #8?. It was fun plenty enough, spent my money well, on SS day, nyuk. Plus, I didn't see Leia's flight of fancy as Mary Poppinish, but more like the Flying Bun...er, ah, Nun.. ;-)

(But I guess I vote with your partner - maintaining a running critique while someone else is actually watching and enjoying is not going to oil the wheels of society.)

Grant Hutchison
    I'm guilty of this at times, I can't help myself even though I know it annoys people.
    Last evening I was watching a programme which was meant to represent real life. There was a scene where a guy shot a car with a pistol and it blew up like a bomb had gone off. I know the scene was meant to be dramatic, I get that. I just couldn't help myself, I made a quick comment that in real life that just wouldn't happen. Heck they tried it on "Myth Busters" and claimed it busted. Unfortunately it did me no favours, as my partner was very disgruntled at my criticism.

Rey stole them. Yoda told us.

Grant Hutchison
    Ah, I missed that. I was rather excited to see Yoda again. Old, original Yoda is better than swordfighter Yoda.
    Solfe

Plus they show them in a drawer on the Falcon.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Jan-13 at 12:12 AM.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Ah, I missed that. I was rather excited to see Yoda again. Old, original Yoda is better than swordfighter Yoda.
    He was being obscure. When the tree burns, and he says his line about the library containing nothing that Rey doesn't have already (I'm paraphrasing), you're supposed to think he's being all philosophically figurative, but (when you get a peek in the drawer) it turns out he was being literal.

But as soon as Yoda delivered the line, my wife tutted and said, "Yeah. Of course she was going to steal the books." And of course she was.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Plus they show them in a drawer on the Falcon.
    I noticed that bit, she didn't seem to notice them or wasn't all that surprised that they were there. I wasn't sure which one.
    Solfe