Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Blue Book 2.0?

Ridicule rarely leads to constructive discussions.

Yes, but the mental gymnastics of the die hard debunkers is fabulous to witness. Watching their reaction to the crumbling of their world view is incredible, yet at the same time, delicious. He who laughs last.....

Nonsense.
    Here's an interesting analysis of the so-called GIMBAL video we discussed earlier. This appears to be a distant plane seen from a rapidly turning plane and a camera that rotates in the opposite direction to the turn in order to maintain infra-red lock.
    https://www.metabunk.org/nyt-gimbal-...3/#post-216259

As I suggested the camera was looking sideways as the plane turned; this was a consequence of the camera's attempts to keep the source in lock.

Something else I noticed on that video is the small dot floating off to the left; I thought it might be a star, which would prove that the IR source was more-or-less stationary; but instead it appears to be a computer-generated 'true north' indicator, which is even better. This object is almost certainly very distant and moving slowly compared to the aircraft.
    2) The small dot which moves from left to right in a circular motion is almost certainly a "North Indicator". This is also consistent with the above (and with the video, the symbology is always white regardless of the IR Polarity (White Hot/Black Hot) mode); the camera would initially need to be turned about 54 degrees to the right in order to be looking north, towards the end of the video segment, when the camera is looking due north, the aircraft is also almost flying true north. The object is therefore always within a few degrees of true North of the aircraft.

Here's another interesting analysis of the Nimitz event; the 'sudden acceleration' by the 'tic-tac' on the film occurs at the same time as an increase in magnification of the image; remove that increase and the movement of the image is unremarkable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIl4peYb59E

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Nonsense.
    Here's an interesting analysis of the so-called GIMBAL video we discussed earlier. This appears to be a distant plane seen from a rapidly turning plane and a camera that rotates in the opposite direction to the turn in order to maintain infra-red lock.
    https://www.metabunk.org/nyt-gimbal-...3/#post-216259

As I suggested the camera was looking sideways as the plane turned; this was a consequence of the camera's attempts to keep the source in lock.
    So it was the ATFLIR. The sensor pod is pointed forwards, which is why it is called the Advanced Targeting Forward-Looking Infrared system. It is not a sidelooking sensor, it is a forwards looking one which can aim off axis. Happy to admit I did not know how far off it would be pointed - I struggled to find a quick reference to it. Maybe it is a terminology thing that has caused this but to me a forwards looking system with off axis capability is a very different beast to a side looking system. When you said "this is not a 'forward-looking' camera...This is a side-looking camera" I assumed you meant that the system itself was not forwards looking, not that it was a forwards looking system aimed off axis. Apologies if this was what you meant.

The question remains: why did the government release this video with no commentary in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy987 View Post
    Yes, but the mental gymnastics of the die hard debunkers is fabulous to witness. Watching their reaction to the crumbling of their world view is incredible, yet at the same time, delicious. He who laughs last.....
    To me thatís just weird. By the last sentence it makes it seem like youíre seeing this as a contest.

Just speaking for myself, I would love to learn that ET UFOs exist, so nobody would have any reason to laugh at me if they do. And itís not an important part of my worldview. Iím kind of interested either way. But I guess there are people like you and debunkers for whom this is somewhat of a contest to prove whoís right or something like that.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    The question remains: why did the government release this video with no commentary in the first place?
    Thatís a good and perplexing question. As odd as it may sound, I think we might entertain the possibility that our chief executive decided it was cool and ordered it to be released.
    As above, so below

The main actors in this program were Luis Elizondo, Robert Bigelow and Harry Reid. Since the program was de-funded in 2012, I expect that one or more of these people (or their associates) want to get the ball rolling again.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/u...arry-reid.html
    Mr. Elizondo has now joined Mr. Puthoff and another former Defense Department official, Christopher K. Mellon, who was a deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence, in a new commercial venture called To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science. They are speaking publicly about their efforts as their venture aims to raise money for research into U.F.O.s.
    This sort of program could be extended into the indefinite future, because there will always be UFOs of some sort.
    Last edited by eburacum45; 2017-Dec-24 at 10:05 AM.

The program has continued since 2012. It will not go on indefinitely because the process of disclosure is underway. You die hard debunkers just don't get it. Do you?

Hi Jonesy987, I used to be a sceptic a long time ago, but now that I'm not........I still don't get it ;-)

The program has continued since 2012. It will not go on indefinitely because the process of disclosure is underway. You die hard debunkers just don't get it. Do you?
    Get what?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Hi Jonesy987, I used to be a sceptic a long time ago, but now that I'm not........I still don't get it ;-)
    That the ball has started rolling. No more swamp gas. No more Venus. No more hub caps. No more Phil Klass fanclub membership cards. No more 'woo woo' labels. But fear not, the humble pie will be plentiful, eat to you heart's content.

Let’s not get carried away by the hype on the internet. Much too soon to speculate on disclosure.

I've been waiting since 1966 for disclosure - it would be much more than welcome. But this will be (no doubt) yet another disappointment.

Jonesy987, what exactly do you mean by "disclosure?"

I

Gas? Drone made of Porous material with a light engine? ����������

You ok hun?
    Is there something wrong with trying to think like an engineer and compare the properties the object in the video appears to have with one's own knowledge of aeronautics?

I
    Drone made of Porous material with a light engine?

You ok hun?
    So why do you think it disturbed the water? Magic?

And I'm not your hun, sorry.
    As above, so below

Project Blue Book 2.0?

Maybe Jonsey is from Baltimore .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Seems like Elizmondo had the video released, then quit to help found a private company to investigate the phenomena. Here is thebarticle: https://www.salon.com/2017/12/23/is-...report/?page=1

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Seems like Elizmondo had the video released, then quit to help found a private company to investigate the phenomena. Here is thebarticle: https://www.salon.com/2017/12/23/is-...report/?page=1
    Thanks for the link. That was quite interesting. It's always seemed fairly likely to me that at least some percentage of UFO sightings are of experimental aircraft. It also makes sense that military contractors will tend to promote the idea that we are always in danger.
    As above, so below

military contractors will tend to promote the idea that we are always in danger.
    Or former government researchers who just resigned and founded a private company to investigate Ufo's.

Any way this sighting turns out (experimental craft, aliens, natural phenomenon) will be interesting.

That the ball has started rolling. No more swamp gas. No more Venus. No more hub caps. No more Phil Klass fanclub membership cards. No more 'woo woo' labels. But fear not, the humble pie will be plentiful, eat to you heart's content.
    Sorry, but the latest "evidence" is no more convincing (to me anyway) than anything we've seen for the last few decades. As has been pointed out regularly, the majority of the population carries high-res picture and video capable devices in their pockets, but the best we get of UFOs appear to have been filmed using a potato...

I used to be very much on the believer side when younger, and would go on all-night watches etc. However, as I learned more about science, and examined the evidence more critically, I realised that 99.9% of reports have mundane explanations. I've seen many strange objects over the decades since, and have nearly always figured out their real nature after a bit of thought.

There will always be a few that defy explanation, and I've seen one or two myself, but that doesn't mean they're not something natural.
    Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's alloted span...
    (Phoenician proverb)

There will always be a few that defy explanation, and I've seen one or two myself, but that doesn't mean they're not something natural.
    "Natural" doesn't have to be confined as being something earthbound, it can be interpreted from a universal perspective, as in humans reaching out into space to explore other worlds, that's perfectly natural. As can be the reverse, technologically advanced aliens coming here to explore our world. Seems like it would be the natural thing to do, for us and them.

If these 'visiting aliens' exist, they have been here since at least 1947, and probably before. They surely have 'explored' our world by now.
    If they exist, they have been making themselves visible for seventy years, and disturbing people on our world with their mysterious and absurd behaviour for at least that long. Millions - perhaps billions - of people on Earth are waiting for them to stop pussyfooting about and make themselves known. Countless people have apparently seen these things and their worlds have been changed by the experience, often not for the better. People think that UFO witnesses are deluded or liars (most are not, of course - just mistaken). Countless people have died without ever knowing the truth.

If they exist, these aliens are behaving in a very inconsiderate manner. I do not think that I want to meet creatures who act in this way; they literally don't care whether they turn people's lives upside down. Either they should make their ships invisible (turning the lights off at night might help) or they should make open contact - but flying around scaring people is not a friendly activity. Doing this for seventy years or more is downright disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    If these 'visiting aliens' exist, they have been here since at least 1947, and probably before. They surely have 'explored' our world by now.
    If they exist, they have been making themselves visible for seventy years, and disturbing people on our world with their mysterious and absurd behaviour for at least that long. Millions - perhaps billions - of people on Earth are waiting for them to stop pussyfooting about and make themselves known. Countless people have apparently seen these things and their worlds have been changed by the experience, often not for the better. People think that UFO witnesses are deluded or liars (most are not, of course - just mistaken). Countless people have died without ever knowing the truth.

If they exist, these aliens are behaving in a very inconsiderate manner. I do not think that I want to meet creatures who act in this way; they literally don't care whether they turn people's lives upside down. Either they should make their ships invisible (turning the lights off at night might help) or they should make open contact - but flying around scaring people is not a friendly activity. Doing this for seventy years or more is downright disrespectful.

The aliens have been infracted for rude behavior.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

The aliens have been infracted for rude behavior.
    I would agree with this, but that would be talking about moderation...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    "Natural" doesn't have to be confined as being something earthbound, it can be interpreted from a universal perspective, as in humans reaching out into space to explore other worlds, that's perfectly natural. As can be the reverse, technologically advanced aliens coming here to explore our world. Seems like it would be the natural thing to do, for us and them.
    Ah, perhaps I should have been more specific...

By "natural", I meant due to naturally occurring causes, either from earth or from space, but not non-human intelligence. (Note - I'm also not ruling out human intelligence as a source, e.g. experimental military aircraft etc.)

I'd still contend that the quality of evidence is well below what I personally would consider acceptable. After decades of claims I would have expected at least a few high quality photographs or film / video, but as I said before, it seems to be sadly lacking. This was one of the key issues which changed my opinion on the matter.
    Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's alloted span...
    (Phoenician proverb)