Thread: Serious train accident in my state.

Serious train accident in my state.

An Amtrak Cascades train derailed this morning at DuPont, WA, killing at least six people. It fell onto the southbound lanes of Interstate 5. We've been watching the news all day. Excessive speed appears to be involved.

This was the first train to use a new route which was expected to save about 20 minutes of travel time.

The recovery process is going to be interesting.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It's a bit north of me, a bridge I travel under every time I go north of the county line. But we had no reason to go north today.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    An Amtrak Cascades train derailed this morning at DuPont, WA, killing at least six people. It fell onto the southbound lanes of Interstate 5. We've been watching the news all day. Excessive speed appears to be involved.

This was the first train to use a new route which was expected to save about 20 minutes of travel time.

The recovery process is going to be interesting.
    Interestingly, it affected Amtrak travel on the East Coast; if I understood, a coworker's daughter's visit home from McGill had to be rescheduled.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Amtrak may have put limitations on all the journeys by that type of train until they know what the cause is.

They're now saying three dead, all on the train.

Apparently the train was going 80 in a 30 and was not using PTC (which would have automatically braked it).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ington-n830751
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

One of the news pictures that I saw seemed to show a very sharp turn in the track just past the bridge. I might have misinterpreted what I saw, but hitting a curve like that at a high speed certainly would have caused problems.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    One of the news pictures that I saw seemed to show a very sharp turn in the track just past the bridge. I might have misinterpreted what I saw, but hitting a curve like that at a high speed certainly would have caused problems.
    Misleading picture, probably. The next turn (which they never reached) looks about the same as where they departed the rails. Google Maps.

Yup.Google's picture of the track looks quite different from what I remember.
    Selden

With all this talk about autonomous cars, trains would be among the first logical modes to automate, one would think. And I'm still not clear why PTC isn't already everywhere by law.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Because it's expensive. Union Pacific estimates it will cost them just shy of 3 billion USD; the full industry-wide estimate is over 10 billion. Implementation is now targeted by law for end-2018.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Misleading picture, probably. The next turn (which they never reached) looks about the same as where they departed the rails. Google Maps.
    That still seems like a sharp corner for a rail line (which is obviously why the speed limit was 30). I'm not a railroad engineer, but it seems they had more real estate that could have been used to lessen the curve.

Engineer distracted with texting?

That's my guess.

Because some folks can't go without their minutely LOL!
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    That still seems like a sharp corner for a rail line (which is obviously why the speed limit was 30). I'm not a railroad engineer, but it seems they had more real estate that could have been used to lessen the curve.
    The problem is that the line has to cross the parallel freeway. The turns are necessary to get it so the bridge isn't excessively long. Or as you say, take up more real estate. I'm pretty sure the bridge was pre-existing, not part of the recent upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

That's my guess.

He's in the hospital with a head injury. NTSB says one of the first things they do is check crew phone records.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

That's my guess.

I read that it was the first time that line and that bend were in use for passengers, previously freight only, and the rest of the line is high speed. Could it be the driver was not told in loud enough terms? We had a scandal (UK) a few years ago about trains crossing red lights and the difficulty of automating the brakes when that happens. It was called SPAD signal passed at Danger. I was very skeptical at the time about the huge costs quoted to fix that problem, the SPAD signal is in the cab, the brakes system switch is in the cab, it really cannot cost that much to link them. But the real issue might be the loss of schedule time if the trains keep automatically stopping.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

This was the first "real" run, but there had been test runs before, including one with local dignitaries.

There's speculation - and only speculation - that the engineer was distracted by having a conductor-trainee in the engine cab. (The trainee was getting familiar with the route. The engineer and conductor had made it before.)
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

It's a sharp enough turn so that the speed limit was 30 mph, but from what I've seen, he was already going well over the speed limit. And that bridge has been there longer than I've lived here; they've been in the process of installing rail lines between the north- and south-bound lanes of the freeway there for some time. Honestly, I was hoping it was light rail to make commute from here to Tacoma and Seattle faster and easier; that stretch of freeway is the only direct route between our area and parts north, meaning that everyone traveling between the two now has to go many miles out of their way. That's partly geography--the southern reaches of Puget Sound are to the west, so you can't put a road there--and partly military--Joint Base Lewis-McChord is to the east. But in practical terms, if you want to get through the Nisqually Valley, you have to take I-5.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The problem is that the line has to cross the parallel freeway. The turns are necessary to get it so the bridge isn't excessively long. Or as you say, take up more real estate. I'm pretty sure the bridge was pre-existing, not part of the recent upgrade.
    If they used a pre-existing bridge, that would certainly make sense.

There was a derailment near Osaka maybe ten or fifteen years ago, where the train sped into a curve. In that the engineer was deliberately speeding to make up for lost time so that he wouldnít be disciplined (he had previously overshot a platform and been disciplined). Just speculation, but perhaps the engineer was showing off for the trainee.
    As above, so below